GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2019, 11:42 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
I donít know. Would Santana still have made the money had he accepted the outright assignment? If they wanted to guarantee Santanaís departure, why not just grant him his unconditional release instead?
No, I don't think so. He was on a minor league deal and the $4.3M only kicked in if he was on the major league squad. I assume that was where the 45 days comes into play.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 04-30-2019, 11:42 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
2 for 2 in effective starts so far this year. I think the biggest reason Santana was cut wasn't that they couldn't stand to send him out one more time, but because they wanted to see what they had in Banuelos. Hahn talked him up in the Spring, and so far so good.
The other Manny has looked good so far. I will be interested to see how he fares against Boston this weekend. That's a far more patient and talented group of hitters than Baltimore's line-up.

2019 Sox Attendance Tracker: 5-2
All time Sox Attendance Tracker:

282-243
Old 04-30-2019, 12:44 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
2 home runs in 10 at-bats is hotter than the sun.

Not if those are your only hits.
Old 04-30-2019, 02:09 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
Normally I would agree that 4 Ks in 10 ABs mitigate the HRs, but 2 HRs every 10 ABs would yield 100 HRs in 500 ABs. Iíll take that.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." ó George Orwell
Old 04-30-2019, 02:16 PM
WSI Prelate

If you're Adam Dunn.
Old 04-30-2019, 02:35 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I'll do backflips for any player who hits a home run every 5 at-bats. I don't care what happens in the other 4.

Like I said, that's hotter than the sun.
Old 04-30-2019, 02:41 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
If you're Adam Dunn.
Or Babe Ruth.
Old 04-30-2019, 03:29 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Or Babe Ruth.

Babe Ruth hit .342 with an on-base percentage of .474 for his career and never stuck out 100 times in a season.

But regardless of your views on productivity, the question was weather Anderson was continuing to be "hot" after going one for nine in his last two games. My standards for a hot streak are higher.
Old 04-30-2019, 03:55 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Babe Ruth hit .342 with an on-base percentage of .474 for his career and never stuck out 100 times in a season.

But regardless of your views on productivity, the question was weather Anderson was continuing to be "hot" after going one for nine in his last two games. My standards for a hot streak are higher.
Babe Ruth hit a home run every 11.8 at-bats. Again, 2 home runs in 10 at-bats is hotter than the sun, even for Babe Ruth.

Your constant "But muh strikeouts!" lament is just plain silly in this instance.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:19 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Babe Ruth hit a home run every 11.8 at-bats. Again, 2 home runs in 10 at-bats is hotter than the sun, even for Babe Ruth.

Your constant "But muh strikeouts!" lament is just plain silly in this instance.

I find it amusing that some one who insists that a player who went hitless in four trips to the plate Sunday and had a home run as his only hit in five trips Monday is "hotter than the sun" because he also hit a home run in his last at bat Friday. There is so much more to an offense than home runs, and I would certainly take Nellie Fox in my lineup over Juan Uribe.

As I wrote, my standards for offensive excellence and what I consider hitters being hot are higher. I certainly wouldn't want Anderson hitting around .200 with occasional home runs. That's more of a Yonder Alonso thing.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:48 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I find it amusing that some one who insists that a player who went hitless in four trips to the plate Sunday and had a home run as his only hit in five trips Monday is "hotter than the sun" because he also hit a home run in his last at bat Friday. There is so much more to an offense than home runs, and I would certainly take Nellie Fox in my lineup over Juan Uribe.

As I wrote, my standards for offensive excellence and what I consider hitters being hot are higher. I certainly wouldn't want Anderson hitting around .200 with occasional home runs. That's more of a Yonder Alonso thing.
You suggested the timeline and the endpoints, not me.

You said “In his last 10 at-bats he has 2 home runs, 4 strikeouts, a lineout, and 3 groundouts, 1 of which was a double play.” You asked if that qualified as “hot.”

I’m telling you that he can strike out 200 times a year if he hits 100 home runs, and that would be one of the greatest single seasons in the history of the sport.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:10 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
Normally I would agree that 4 Ks in 10 ABs mitigate the HRs, but 2 HRs every 10 ABs would yield 100 HRs in 500 ABs. Iíll take that.
Think there might be a connection between the 2 HR in 10 AB and the nothing else?
Old 04-30-2019, 08:13 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:

Not to diminish anything Ruth accomplished, but hitting is far more complicated today than it was then.

I'm not sure how he would fare in today's game.

Also I'll parrot the "1 home run in 5 at bats is good" thing regardless of the other at bats.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:19 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
You suggested the timeline and the endpoints, not me.

You said ďIn his last 10 at-bats he has 2 home runs, 4 strikeouts, a lineout, and 3 groundouts, 1 of which was a double play.Ē You asked if that qualified as ďhot.Ē

Iím telling you that he can strike out 200 times a year if he hits 100 home runs, and that would be one of the greatest single seasons in the history of the sport.

I was giving Anderson every benefit of the doubt. Even then, two home runs, one line out, three ground outs, including one for a double play with two on and none out, and four strikeouts does not qualify as being hot.

Over Alonso's last two games, he has two home runs and walked 10 appearances, nine at bats with only two strike outs. I see references to Alonso in these forums. I haven't seen anybody suggest he is hot.

Of course, the reality is that hitters who strike out in abundance have vulnerabilities and weaknesses leading to those big numbers and pitchers figure them out, which is one reason why no one who has struck out 200 times in a season has come close to hitting 100 home runs, even if they were on such a pace in April.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:20 PM
WSI High Priest

Of course, no one has ever seen every ground ball and every line drive off his bat converted into an out, either, but since we’re choosing to deal in nonsense, I’ll play along.

Let’s assume no walks, no hbp, no non-home run hits of any kind, 1 home run every 5 at-bats, and 2 strikeouts every 5 at-bats. Anderson has made 606 plate appearances each of the past two seasons, and he looks like he will make another 600+ this year as well. Let’s just call it 600 to make the math simple.

A .200/.200/.800 slash line with 120 home runs, 120 runs scored, and 186 RBI (72 solo, 33 2-run, 12 3-run, and 3 grand slams, based on league-wide HR distribution in 2018) is a level of production I would consider “hot,” and I would consider any attempts to suggest otherwise as nothing more than bad-faith contrarian trolling.