Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Default *Official* 5/4/19 Well that got out of hand quickly Postgamer

Yikes!

Go Sox!!!
Old 05-04-2019, 10:43 PM
WSI Prelate

No starting pitching. No bullpen.

We are teetering.

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 05-04-2019, 11:51 PM
WSI Guru

Was out with my girlfriend tonight. She kept asking if she could drive me home so I could watch the game. Finally caught a glimpse of the score, and she said "Holy ****," which she never does. That sums it up.
Old 05-04-2019, 11:55 PM
WSI Guru

Pitching has always been a hallmark of this franchise, this is simply ghastly and worse they really have no available options to fix this three years into a rebuild.

Injuries or not this shows how thin the overall depth for pitching is with this organization is if the best they can do are stiffs, retreads and has-been's.

Just unacceptable.

Here's how bad things are from Scott Merkin's story:

"White Sox starting pitching continues to be an overall weak point. Factoring in the nine runs on 10 hits allowed by Banuelos, the White Sox rotation has given up 115 earned runs over 151 2/3 innings for a 6.82 ERA. The staff has made nine quality starts in 31 games and has a 9.28 ERA (77 earned runs over 74 2/3 innings) at home."

And three more errors to boot. Nice!

And next year even if the Sox are willing to pony up major, major dollars and years the pickings are slim for quality starting pitching.
Old 05-05-2019, 01:09 AM
WSI Church Elder

That was just plain embarrassing. They didn't even look like a major league team. I really thought the worst of the rebuild was over. I didn't know what I was thinking.
Old 05-05-2019, 04:29 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Pitching has always been a hallmark of this franchise, this is simply ghastly and worse they really have no available options to fix this three years into a rebuild.

Injuries or not this shows how thin the overall depth for pitching is with this organization is if the best they can do are stiffs, retreads and has-been's.

Just unacceptable.

There are so many issues with the pitching from injuries to development to the evaluation of talent on the market that no one should be comfortable in their job.

Pitching in general worries me because it seems in light of the CWS staff issues pitchers in general. What philosophies, what physical stresses are being imposed on younger players?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan H View Post
That was just plain embarrassing. They didn't even look like a major league team. I really thought the worst of the rebuild was over. I didn't know what I was thinking.

I'll make my final analysis after the season; not after a lopsided loss.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 05-05-2019, 06:26 AM
WSI High Priest

Ricky's boys never quit, Abreu's homer goes for naught in valiant comeback effort.

I'm sorry but when the team gets hammered, all you can do is joke about it.
What is not a joke is the horrible state of the pitching staff especially the starters, worst and sorriest collection of starters since I started following the Sox in 1952, the 1970 staff look like Cy Young guys compared to these guys.

What I'm hoping is that Hahn knew that this was going to be another lousy year and decided not spend big money on the pitching staff, at some point they will have to spend money and as usual JR will just open the purse strings a tad but not all the way in what it takes to build a championship team.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 05-05-2019 at 11:07 AM.
Old 05-05-2019, 06:58 AM
WSI Regular

I really really want Fulmer to succeed and be a part of this team, which makes it hurt all the more when he cannot throw a single strike.

Similarly, I had such high hopes for Bańuelos in this game after his last couple starts and 8 outs of putting Red Sox away quickly with good location and stuff. It just.... turned.

I read the BoSox were one hit in that 3rd away from tying the MLB record for most consecutive at bats with safe hits.
Old 05-05-2019, 07:52 AM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
What is not a joke is the horrible state of the pitching staff especially the starters, worst and sorriest collection of starters since I started following the Sox in 1952, the 1970 staff look like Cy Young guys compared to these guys.

In 1970 they had Tommy John and Woody waiting in the wings. Nothing like that on this club.
Old 05-05-2019, 08:00 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

What I'm hoping is that Hahn knew that this was going to be another lousy year and decided not spend big money on the pitching staff, at some point they will have to spend money and as usual JR will just open the purse strings a tad but not all the way in what it takes to build a championship team.
hahn tried to stabilize the staff by bringing in a couple of guys who could eat innings. They can't. Part of it is when your goal is a low-bar (innings-eater) and they miss the bar, a disaster ensues (similar problem in drafting so many low-ceiling college relievers). Part of it also is that Hahn's judgment/evaluation/effort stinks.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:24 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Ricky's boys never quit, Alonso's homer goes for naught in valiant comeback effort.

I'm sorry but when the team gets hammered, all you can do is joke about it.
To your first point I agree wholeheartedly. I've been on teams that crushed others and have been on teams steamrolled. Whether by one or one hundred a loss is a loss.

I agree with your second point too. I'll go a little further and say it's long past due for a change at the top. That means Coop. The other avenue I want to travel is the one where pitchers these days look to be very fragile. This new philosophy or physical regimen has to be looked at because the amount of injuries is unacceptable.

The game is in a pathetic state right now.

Last edited by Grzegorz; 05-05-2019 at 09:33 AM.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:29 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Ricky's boys never quit, Alonso's homer goes for naught in valiant comeback effort.
Abreu hit the homer.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:35 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan H View Post
It's one game, and I think it looks worse than it did because Ricky left Banuelous out there to rot. Remember the Sox beat the Cardinals in June of 2006 something like 20-5, and the Cardinals went on to win the World Series. Making any kind of grand statements about the overall rebuild based on the outcome of one game is premature.

(By the way, clearly I'm not saying the Sox are going to win the WS this year).

I found it funny that they used Rondon on Friday night in a 6-1 game but didn't use a position player last night in a more lopsided loss.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:05 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
It's one game, and I think it looks worse than it did because Ricky left Banuelous out there to rot. Remember the Sox beat the Cardinals in June of 2006 something like 20-5, and the Cardinals went on to win the World Series. Making any kind of grand statements about the overall rebuild based on the outcome of one game is premature.

(By the way, clearly I'm not saying the Sox are going to win the WS this year).

I found it funny that they used Rondon on Friday night in a 6-1 game but didn't use a position player last night in a more lopsided loss.
Rondon needed the work.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:22 AM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
It's one game, and I think it looks worse than it did because Ricky left Banuelous out there to rot.
What was up with that? After the fifth or sixth consecutive hit you have to pull a guy.
Closed Thread