GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2019, 06:01 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
Hated seeing Ricky send Minaya out there again. He doesn't need to bounce back and get a positive mindset, he needs to be given his unconditional release.
Minaya has a 3.86 ERA making him one of the absolute best relievers on the team. Why would you drop him? What other well-performing players would you also drop just to spite the White Sox and cause it to lose as many games as possible to get the top draft pick?

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...inayju01.shtml
Old 05-07-2019, 07:21 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
If you are suggesting that the rate of strikeouts has no effect on decision-making by coaches and managers, that the frustration of runners who reach third with no outs or one out and are left there at the end of the inning don't have an effect on split-second decision-making, your statistics are irrelevant.
Since you are the one who said split second decision making I want to make sure I have this correct. You're suggesting that the coach/player is taking into consideration there may be a strikeout when they are in the middle of a play and that somehow influences their split second decision making. In other words, there is a subconscious concern that the next batter may make a strikeout and that concern then plays a role in the decision to go home or not. I'm not buying it.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:08 AM
WSI High Priest

A nice, fairly clean game. Nova getting the game to the 8th was a pleasant surprise. Hopefully, Giolito can do the same tonight.

Anyone know why the Indians are starting their night games at 6:10 local time?

2019 Sox Attendance Tracker: 8-6
All time Sox Attendance Tracker:

285-247
Old 05-07-2019, 08:25 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
Since you are the one who said split second decision making I want to make sure I have this correct. You're suggesting that the coach/player is taking into consideration there may be a strikeout when they are in the middle of a play and that somehow influences their split second decision making. In other words, there is a subconscious concern that the next batter may make a strikeout and that concern then plays a role in the decision to go home or not. I'm not buying it.
Exactly.

The idea takes a falsehood and assumes it to be a fact. Coaches canít possibly bemoan all the extra baserunners who are dying at 3B because of increased strikeouts when those extra dying baserunners are imaginary.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:57 AM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
If you are talking about making outs on the bases, you would be incorrect. So far in the 2019 season the league average is 10 and the White Sox have only made 8. The White Sox are also only one of four teams that have not gotten picked off this season.
No, I don't mean outs on the bases. I mean stupid mistakes, like Anderson and Abreu's errors on Sunday, like Abreu running past Anderson on the bases after he hit a home run, the sort of mistakes Sanchez was making earlier in the season (those have gotten better though), guys not hitting the cutoff man.

These things have been happening for years and while I get this team is short on talent, I was kind of hoping that Ricky's staff would at least get them to stop making these kind of mental errors.

Go Sox!!!
Old 05-07-2019, 09:07 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Sox only three under .500 now.

I thought they were 30 under based on the posts over the weekend.
Seriously x10.

If you didn't look at the W-L column and only got your info from WSI and other fan forums, you'd think this team was on pace to lose 110 games.

Encouraging outing by Nova. This is actually his 3rd good start this season (the other 2 were within his first 3 starts). I have no idea if he can turn out to be a serviceable starter for us from here on out. It could very well be that he'll revert to getting lit up again next time. But maybe, just maybe, May 1 was just a bit too early to want him run him out of town on a rail.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:08 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
A nice, fairly clean game. Nova getting the game to the 8th was a pleasant surprise. Hopefully, Giolito can do the same tonight.

Anyone know why the Indians are starting their night games at 6:10 local time?
Lemme guess: Downtown ballpark wants to get the downtown work force to come to games after they've had a chance to get some dinner?
Old 05-07-2019, 09:13 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
Lemme guess: Downtown ballpark wants to get the downtown work force to come to games after they've had a chance to get some dinner?
Looks like they go back to 7 oíclock starts later in May. So maybe itís an attempt to play when itís slightly less cold early in the year. Or a way to let kids who are still in school see more of the game before bedtime.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:08 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
Ooh boy. It appears tonight's game subjected Trevor Bauer to some unfortunate online messages.
https://twitter.com/BauerOutage/stat...449768448?s=19
Some truly horrific people hide behind their keyboards.

Bauer seems to be a pretty good guy. I enjoyed seeing his tweet at Tim Anderson about him being a fan of the bat flips but asking him to take a a day of rest. That even God rested one day a week. TA had a funny tweet about him having horrible numbers against Bauer so he was going to flip his bat if he had the chance.

That kind of stuff makes this game fun.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:17 AM
WSI High Priest

This offense has proven to be pretty good this year. I just wish the pitching could stay healthy!
Old 05-07-2019, 11:24 AM
WSI High Priest

Bauer's not exactly Mr. Keeps his Mouth Shut on Social Media himself. I don't know that he's ever outright said a slur on social media, but he's made some borderline comments on women.

Melting down against teams from Chicago is just a hobby of his as we learned in the 2016 World Series.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 05-07-2019, 12:35 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
No, I don't mean outs on the bases. I mean stupid mistakes, like Anderson and Abreu's errors on Sunday, like Abreu running past Anderson on the bases after he hit a home run, the sort of mistakes Sanchez was making earlier in the season (those have gotten better though), guys not hitting the cutoff man.

These things have been happening for years and while I get this team is short on talent, I was kind of hoping that Ricky's staff would at least get them to stop making these kind of mental errors.

Okay, I gotcha. Well, all MLB teams make stupid mistakes, I'm not sure if there is a bonehead-O'Meter for each team. We're just subjected to the White Sox because we all watch them a lot more than the other 29 teams.

When it comes to baserunning, the White Sox have been very good this year by most all statistical measures this season. The fielding however has been very bad. I'd rather see the opposite if I had my choice....

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 05-07-2019, 12:51 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by insp View Post
Minaya has a 3.86 ERA ...
You lost me as soon as you typed this.

I really wish baseball would eliminate the ERA stat for relievers.
Old 05-07-2019, 01:40 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post

ERA has some value, but the underlying stats paint a much different picture for sure.
Old 05-07-2019, 01:53 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post

Seriously. Is someone citing ERA based off 2.1 innings of work? Really?

Even *if* you took 2.1 innings as representative of anything, as pointed out in this thread, the underlying stats for those 2.1 innings are trash. 7.71 BB/9, 7.86 FIP, 5.48 xFIP, 1.71 WHIP. But hey, 15.43 K/9, so there's that!

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."