GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2019, 02:35 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
This is incorrect. The Red Sox were coming off a sweep of Oakland when they came to town and had been playing much better the week previously.
And the Sox were dealing with the devastating emotional news that Rodon was likely lost for the season after the series opener.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 05-13-2019, 02:39 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Meh. I'm going to remain optimistic and watch the remaining 123 games for continued signs of progress from the rebuild core.
Which IMO is the most logical attitude to take this season. There are encouraging signs.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 05-13-2019, 02:45 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
And then there's the other side of the coin:

They did all this with a bullpen that was in disarray early in the season but appears to be improving dramatically in the last couple weeks.

They did this with Abreu, Yonder, Palka off to horrible starts.

They did this with a defense that has been at times simply awful but appears to be improving - especially in terms of outfield defense.

They did this with injuries to key players and Earvin Santana on the team.

They did this with a Team ERA that was in the mid-6's a few weeks ago.

Now some of that maybe due to the quality of teams they have played but the defense looking better, bullpen starting to solidify and show signs of being at least functionally reliable and Abreu starting to hit all say this team is markedly better than when it started the season.

Where will it go? I honestly don't know but to expect a complete collapse when they start to play the middle of the pack teams they have coming seems questionable at this time, IMO.
It's all about sample size, and where the sample is taken from. If the White Sox played 20 of 39 games against top competition, I'd say there's room to look up.

That isn't what happened. We're not going to find another 40 game stretch on our schedule where literally half of the games are against teams that will vie for the first pick in the draft. In the only stretch we can say that about, there are a lot of bad statistics, including our record.

It's not impossible that we'll put up better numbers in a different 40 game stretch. But you'd have to assume that it's very improbable that we will. Especially after losing our ace.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:14 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
We've gotten all of our Baltimore games done. We've gotten half our Toronto games out and will be done with them this week. We've played a large portion of our games against KC and Detroit early. 20 (20!) of our 39 games have been against teams that will vie with us to be the worst team in baseball (those four teams), and that doesn't even take into consideration that we were lucky enough to get half our Yankee games in while they had 17 rostered players on the disabled list.

Saying we have played a historically easy opening schedule through the first 6 weeks of the season would be putting it lightly. The rest of our schedule is going to SUCK. But futhermore playing the bulk of our games against similarly lowly competition, and still coming away with a bad record...is not exactly something to be optimistic about.

There are bright spots to the season, but the team as a whole looks really bad.
This is such a hyperbolic bull**** statement. But I would expect nothing less from you.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:27 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
This is such a hyperbolic bull**** statement. But I would expect nothing less from you.
I can't remember a time in my entire life where we've played 20 of less than 40 games against consensus challengers for worst record in baseball. I'll stand by the statement.
Old 05-13-2019, 04:06 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I can't remember a time in my entire life where we've played 20 of less than 40 games against consensus challengers for worst record in baseball. I'll stand by the statement.
The Sox have an easy schedule - in general - partly because they play in a bad division and spend almost 50% of the year playing that competition. Yes, they've played one of the easiest (if not the easiest) schedules in the league so far this year, but they also have a very middle-of-the-road remaining schedule. It also helps that they play what will likely be the worst division in the NL this year too.

Heck, if you just look at the # of games they've played in line with the current AL standings (since they've only played AL teams), this doesn't look so bottom heavy to me:
- Minnesota
- Houston
3 Tampa Bay
3 New York
6 Cleveland
4 Boston
- LA Angels
5 Detroit
3 Seattle
- Oakland
- Texas
3 Toronto
6 Baltimore
6 Kansas City

Old 05-13-2019, 04:47 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadMoney View Post
The Sox have an easy schedule - in general - partly because they play in a bad division and spend almost 50% of the year playing that competition. Yes, they've played one of the easiest (if not the easiest) schedules in the league so far this year, but they also have a very middle-of-the-road remaining schedule. It also helps that they play what will likely be the worst division in the NL this year too.

Heck, if you just look at the # of games they've played in line with the current AL standings (since they've only played AL teams), this doesn't look so bottom heavy to me:
- Minnesota
- Houston
3 Tampa Bay
3 New York
6 Cleveland
4 Boston
- LA Angels
5 Detroit
3 Seattle
- Oakland
- Texas
3 Toronto
6 Baltimore
6 Kansas City
I'm not as thrilled about their remaining games as you seem to be.

I think we have the hardest interleague schedule in baseball. For our 20 games, we get 4 with the Cubs. The other 16 games are against the NL East, which is easily the most talented division in baseball. Outside of the Marlins, You've got 4 of the best squads in baseball. I'm not down on the Nationals, whose record is simply a reflection of inter-division play. That division is a simply going to be a dogfight because it includes 4 of the best rosters in baseball. Any one of those teams could win the World Series this year and no one would bat an eye.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:14 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

I think we have the hardest interleague schedule in baseball. For our 20 games, we get 4 with the Cubs. The other 16 games are against the NL East, which is easily the most talented division in baseball. Outside of the Marlins, You've got 4 of the best squads in baseball. I'm not down on the Nationals, whose record is simply a reflection of inter-division play. That division is a simply going to be a dogfight because it includes 4 of the best rosters in baseball. Any one of those teams could win the World Series this year and no one would bat an eye.
The Natsí record reflects the fact that they havenít played well this season so far.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." ó George Orwell
Old 05-13-2019, 05:19 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
The Nats’ record reflects the fact that they haven’t played well this season so far.
*Against marquee competition.

Other than their division, which is intensely good, they've also faced the Cubs, Brewers, Cards, Padres, and Dodgers. They've almost exclusively faced premier competition to this point.

I'd say the Nats are in good shape considering their schedule.

We're close to them in record. But the competition is the difference. As I said above, if we had that kind of a schedule and came out of it where we are, I'd be ecstatic. There is a huge difference in who they've played and who we've played to this date, though.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:28 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

I would be pretty shocked if the Mets won the World Series.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:39 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
*Against marquee competition.

Other than their division, which is intensely good, they've also faced the Cubs, Brewers, Cards, Padres, and Dodgers. They've almost exclusively faced premier competition to this point.

I'd say the Nats are in good shape considering their schedule.

We're close to them in record. But the competition is the difference. As I said above, if we had that kind of a schedule and came out of it where we are, I'd be ecstatic. There is a huge difference in who they've played and who we've played to this date, though.
It hasn’t mattered who they have played so far, they have played mediocre baseball to this point.

I would be very surprised if any of the NL East teams besides Atlanta got past the LDS this year.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:53 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
That is quite hyperbolic. While we have played our games against the Orioles, there are series against the Marlins and Nationals left to be played.
The nationals are injured throughout the lineup. I don't know if they are out fo the year injured or if they will be back when the Sox play them, but that's why they suck.
There are 7 rebuilders in the AL this year. We play 2 of them the full slate of games. The NL East, so far, hasn't played up to its billing. It's an overall easy schedule. Now whether it's easier in the future or in the past, I don't know.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:43 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
The NL East, so far, hasn't played up to its billing. It's an overall easy schedule. Now whether it's easier in the future or in the past, I don't know.
Who knows? Regardless, I'd like to see continued improvement from the youngsters and 75 wins (or more).
Old 05-13-2019, 10:07 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Who knows? Regardless, I'd like to see continued improvement from the youngsters and 75 wins (or more).
Thatís a tall order with BaŮuelos and Covey both in the rotationóand pitching back-to-back. Even the good starts by Giolito and Lopez canít really get the bullpen back on track after those two days, and Nova is a coin flip who is just as likely to stretch the disaster to three days as he is to right the ship.

Itís not their fault. BaŮuelos and Covey were originally thought of as relievers, and Nova was supposed to be the fourth-best starter in the rotation, not the third-best. Unfortunately, Santana showed no signs of being serviceable, and Rodonís elbow finally exploded. Plus, the only reason Santana even signed here is because Kopechís elbow exploded, too.