Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2019, 06:09 AM
WSI High Priest

Let's get a new winning streak started.
Old 05-17-2019, 08:27 AM
WSI High Priest

This is a very likable team- playing with some nice energy, and with Tilson and Cordell- you get some improved fundamentals and speed- I can live with Eloy/Tilson/Cordell with Leury as super sub while we wait for Robert to take over CF.

So nice to have a reliable closer- if this bullpen was imploding on a regular basis, this season would be a disaster.
Old 05-17-2019, 08:28 AM
WSI High Priest

Big picture, win is nice but Moncada/Anderson/Eloy/Gio/Lopez were nonfactors (not a negative esp for those not playing, but minimized the positive impact long-term). Tilson/Cordell continued to look solid as did Covey and the pen.

But another big picture (maybe medium) is that after a 2-6 start, the team has played about .500 ball (technically 18-16). And that's with little to no contributions from Eloy, the Santana/Banuelos crapfest slot, and some equally craptastic outings from Nova. Offset a bit by some good Rodon outings.

Overall I think there's more likelihood that the team plays better with better options for the #5 SP, Eloy returning (and starting to hit more), and continued production from what was the Palka ofer slot. That's a great sign that a .500 year is in play which would be huge.

Of course, the guys listed at the top are what matters, but if they maintain r improve their overall performance to date and the team is .500, that's going to be Gold Jerry, Gold.
Old 05-17-2019, 08:54 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Love, love, LOVE the squeeze in the 8th. Bottom of the order really came through tonight. And Covey pitched quite well.
Not a large sample size to work with, but Cordell was 2-for-2 on sacrifices this year. He has shown signs of being good at laying down bunts, and trading an out for the go-ahead run and a baserunner advancement is a no-brainer to get the game to Colomé.

That is not the type of bunt that stat lovers would object to seeing.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:33 AM
WSI High Priest

Sox are 20-22. After 42 games last season the Sox were 12-30.

2019 Sox Attendance Tracker: 8-6
All time Sox Attendance Tracker:

285-247
Old 05-17-2019, 10:14 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Not a large sample size to work with, but Cordell was 2-for-2 on sacrifices this year. He has shown signs of being good at laying down bunts, and trading an out for the go-ahead run and a baserunner advancement is a no-brainer to get the game to Colomé.

That is not the type of bunt that stat lovers would object to seeing.
I like Cordell (eventually as a 4th outfielder type)- he gets some big hits, a few big HRs in big late inning situations, can get a bunt down, and plays good defense.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:22 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
I like Cordell (eventually as a 4th outfielder type)- he gets some big hits, a few big HRs in big late inning situations, can get a bunt down, and plays good defense.
Throw in "strong arm and good baserunner." He is fundamentally sound. It will be interesting to see who gets dropped from the active roster when Eloy returns (hopefully Monday). Most signs point to Nicky, but you never know.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:27 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Throw in "strong arm and good baserunner." He is fundamentally sound. It will be interesting to see who gets dropped from the active roster when Eloy returns (hopefully Monday). Most signs point to Nicky, but you never know.
There really is no reason to keep Delmonico over Cordell/Tilson. And with Alonso, you have a lefty power bat (and with Eloy you have just plain power).
Old 05-17-2019, 10:40 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight #24 View Post
There really is no reason to keep Delmonico over Cordell/Tilson. And with Alonso, you have a lefty power bat (and with Eloy you have just plain power).
I agree unless they decide to DFA Yonder and keep Delmonico as the LH DH and 1B backup.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 05-17-2019, 10:41 AM
WSI Church Elder

I sure hope that Charlie Tilson keeps playing the way that he is, as i like everything about this guy, and Leury Garcia is doing a good job so far . like to see 3 out of 4 from Toronto before heading to Houston . espn has Banuelos, Covey, Nova, and Giolito scheduled to start against the astros . hoping for a split, and then win the series against the twins.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:42 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight #24 View Post
Fun Nicky is a decent left-hand bat off the bench late in games and can play first base. Unlikely that's enough to justify a roster space.
Old 05-17-2019, 11:04 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Fun Nicky is a decent left-hand bat off the bench late in games and can play first base. Unlikely that's enough to justify a roster space.
"barely" play 1st base- I think if they thought he could be a LH back up to 1st base (along w/Palka), they would be getting him playing time there (including in spring training or at Charlotte)
Old 05-17-2019, 12:03 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
I agree unless they decide to DFA Yonder and keep Delmonico as the LH DH and 1B backup.

If Alonzo is dfa, I think Palka will be back in the mix.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:35 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
If Alonzo is dfa, I think Palka will be back in the mix.
He's tearing it up at AAA but he can't play first. Need to have someone on the roster who can other than Abreu. Though I suppose it could be McCann. I think he can play first, not sure.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:39 PM
Winner WSI 2015 NFL Pick'em contest

I was sitting along 1B line last night and the Abreu play was very confusing in the stands. He was clearly safe. Then he was just standing there on 1B not leaving, even though they called him out.

Then Ricky came out to discuss, Abreu goes back to the bench, and game resumes.

This is the issue: they should mic an ump and have him announce what is happening. I was unaware of the rule change removing the "free ask" in the 7th inning. All the ump needed to do was flip on a mic and say, "Chicago cannot challenge this play, because they already used their challenge. No further reviews are allowed until the 8th inning. Play ball."