Soxogram: 
And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2017, 05:08 PM
WSI Prelate

Default How 2017 garbage time performance may affect 2018 roster construction

We know that barring injury or a trade out of the blue, some players are locks to be on the 2018 Sox: Moncada, Anderson, Giolito, Lopez, etc.

Then there are those trying to play their way into a job next year and the hopes that they will be around for when the rebuild culminates in a contender, or a long-term MLB career elsewhere. I think Avi Garcia, Leury Garcia and Nicky Delomonico passed the 2017 test and have played their way onto the 2018 Sox. On the other hand, I could totally see Hahn selling high on one or more of them in trade in an effort to get back a younger prospect with a higher pedigree.

I think after a hot start, Matt Davidson has been exposed as a "three outcome" player. And I'm not terribly interested in him anymore other than perhaps as a platoon partner against LHP only.

I think Yolmer Sanchez is a better option as the primary 3B, as he's a better defender, a better hitter, switch-hits, runs better, and brings more than Davidson's "three outcomes." I'm not ready to hand him the 3B job long term, but he's an acceptable placeholder until Burger is ready (or the Sox sign a star FA 3B), at which point he'll probably be useful as a utility player.

I think Saladino may be done due to injury.

Willy Garcia and Alen Hanson didn't impress much this year, and I'd let them go (or accept an assignment to Charlotte) to make room to audition Ryan Cordell and Casey Gillaspie.

Rymer Liriano is only mildly interesting.

So, barring trades, here's how I see the 2018 position players shaking out on Opening Day:

IF: Abreu, Moncada, Anderson, Yolmer
OF: Engle, Avi, Delmonico
Bench/DH: Gillaspie, Leury, Cordell or Liriano
C: Smith, Narvaez

Goodbye: Davidson, Hanson, W. Garcia, Saladino

And barring injury, Eloy Jimenez will force the issue in the outfield sometime mideason.

Thoughts?
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:43 PM
WSI Church Elder

Who will be the starting pitchers next year?

The Sox have used 12 different starters this year.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:46 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
We know that barring injury or a trade out of the blue, some players are locks to be on the 2018 Sox: Moncada, Anderson, Giolito, Lopez, etc.

Then there are those trying to play their way into a job next year and the hopes that they will be around for when the rebuild culminates in a contender, or a long-term MLB career elsewhere. I think Avi Garcia, Leury Garcia and Nicky Delomonico passed the 2017 test and have played their way onto the 2018 Sox. On the other hand, I could totally see Hahn selling high on one or more of them in trade in an effort to get back a younger prospect with a higher pedigree.

I think after a hot start, Matt Davidson has been exposed as a "three outcome" player. And I'm not terribly interested in him anymore other than perhaps as a platoon partner against LHP only.

I think Yolmer Sanchez is a better option as the primary 3B, as he's a better defender, a better hitter, switch-hits, runs better, and brings more than Davidson's "three outcomes." I'm not ready to hand him the 3B job long term, but he's an acceptable placeholder until Burger is ready (or the Sox sign a star FA 3B), at which point he'll probably be useful as a utility player.

I think Saladino may be done due to injury.

Willy Garcia and Alen Hanson didn't impress much this year, and I'd let them go (or accept an assignment to Charlotte) to make room to audition Ryan Cordell and Casey Gillaspie.

Rymer Liriano is only mildly interesting.

So, barring trades, here's how I see the 2018 position players shaking out on Opening Day:

IF: Abreu, Moncada, Anderson, Yolmer
OF: Engle, Avi, Delmonico
Bench/DH: Gillaspie, Leury, Cordell or Liriano
C: Smith, Narvaez

And barring injury, Eloy Jimenez will force the issue in the outfield sometime mideason.

Thoughts?
Davidson isn't going anywhere in my opinion until Burger is ready and even then he may be kept as a bench player who has power.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:47 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishsox1 View Post
Who will be the starting pitchers next year?

The Sox have used 12 different starters this year.
I'm going to guess we have at least a journeyman starter or two join the roster to fill a space. Then, I would venture we'd hope to flip them like we tried to do with guys this year.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:51 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post

Thoughts?

Nothing wrong with keeping Davidson. He plays two positions and makes next to nothing. This isnt a dunn or laroche who had to be strolled out there everyday because of what they made.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:17 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Davidson isn't going anywhere in my opinion until Burger is ready and even then he may be kept as a bench player who has power.

I would start Yolmer over him. He is a better player to have, even without power numbers.

OUtside of that, I think you more or less have it. I don't think DelMonico sticks. We most likely have Liriano/ Cordell starting instead. Outside of that, I expect our pitching to look like this next year:

Rodon, Giolito, Lopez, Shields, FA signing.

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:23 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
I would start Yolmer over him. He is a better player to have, even without power numbers.

OUtside of that, I think you more or less have it. I don't think DelMonico sticks. We most likely have Liriano/ Cordell starting instead. Outside of that, I expect our pitching to look like this next year:

Rodon, Giolito, Lopez, Shields, FA signing.

I'm with you on Yolmer. His OPS is higher than Davidson. Yes, that's all OBP, but his SLG isn't that much lower than Davidson. The added value on the bases, hitting from both sides of the plate, and defensively, is what makes him a better player overall.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:51 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Sanchez might draw interest from a team looking for a starting 2B. He's been so effective. Might be worth it to package him for more prospects or add him as a sweetener if they end up trading Avi or Abreu.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 09-13-2017, 07:58 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Sanchez might draw interest from a team looking for a starting 2B. He's been so effective. Might be worth it to package him for more prospects or add him as a sweetener if they end up trading Avi or Abreu.
Good point. If the Sox are still in all out rebuild, and want to start "winning" in 2019, I would definitely create a package around Avi/ Abreu/ Sanchez. You could get a t10, t30, and t50 for that package.

Only negative here is why trade away an established product for basically an equivalent?

Abreu is a t10 and he is fairly young. Avisail and Yolmer, if they play like this next year, fall withint the t50 prospects and are young. The bet here would be that Avisail and Yolmer won't perform like this again.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:42 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Good point. If the Sox are still in all out rebuild, and want to start "winning" in 2019, I would definitely create a package around Avi/ Abreu/ Sanchez. You could get a t10, t30, and t50 for that package.
The challenge is finding a trading partner who is willing to give up three Top-50 prospects. Not many teams have theee in the Top 50. Fewer would be willing to make that trade with us. Fewer still would have the mix of prospects we actually would want.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:39 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:

Only negative here is why trade away an established product for basically an equivalent?

Abreu is a t10 and he is fairly young. Avisail and Yolmer, if they play like this next year, fall withint the t50 prospects and are young. The bet here would be that Avisail and Yolmer won't perform like this again.
The only reason to trade Abreu is you are nervous about his age being a factor once the Sox are ready to compete again.

Only reason to trade Avi is if you think he cannot keep his success this year going. He's young so the Sox should keep him if they think he's figured it out, but if they aren't sure then they might chose to sell high.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:49 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
The only reason to trade Abreu is you are nervous about his age being a factor once the Sox are ready to compete again.

Only reason to trade Avi is if you think he cannot keep his success this year going. He's young so the Sox should keep him if they think he's figured it out, but if they aren't sure then they might chose to sell high.
Both are under control for two more years. Are the Sox ready to lock up players long term at this stage of rebuild? I would think that next year would be the last time to lock them up until they make the decision to go on the open market.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:14 PM
WSI Church Elder

I agree about Sanchez. I think he is a far better and more interesting player than Davidson. However, I also agree that Davidson's value might be maximized by being the right-handed half of a platoon.

Therefore, if I was planning things for next year it would look like this:

C- Narvaez/Smith
IF-Abreu, Moncada, Anderson, Sanchez
OF-Cordell/L.Garcia/A.Garcia
DH-Delmonico/Davidson

This, of course, assumes Cordell is as ready as he looks and that Engel isn't able to hit enough to displace Leury.

Starters: Rodon, Lopez, Giolito, Shields, and either Fulmer or a scrap heap free agent.

Bullpen: Any warm body with arms still attached.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:23 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Yolmer is a good player. If added as a sweetener, that's selling low.
Right now, he's the best 3B they have....by far.

Most of these guys should get to continue their audition into next season. I'm particularly interested in seeing if Engel can hit consistently. Anderson needs to get better; if Leury can take more pitches, he could be a keeper. No reason to give up on Davidson either...he will hit 25 homers in his first season. Even Narvaez - what an OBP for someone with zero pop. How does that happen. If he can develop a little pop, he'd be really good. Need to keep working these guys...no telling who out of the Burgers, etc. will develop.
Eventually they will trade Abreu and Avi most likely. But no rush.
The issue is pitching - there are no Leurys or Davidsons to fill out either the rotation or the pen.

Last edited by Tragg; 09-13-2017 at 11:29 PM.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:02 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Always look for a deal but...

You need depth up the middle. Is there someone in the system that can take his place?
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004