GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2018, 11:55 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
What I really want to know is why the defensive substitution was made in a game the team was losing.
I was wondering the same thing. I admit I was only half paying attention as I watched basketball also, but was shocked when Thompson came up after they walked Abreu. I was honestly confused as to why we were pinchhitting Thompson for Palka then I realized I must have missed a defensive switch.

Sox hurt themselves on the basepaths again running into outs in the 5th and then got unlucky when Garcia's drive bounced into the stands.

Still they had chances to win/tie this game and part of why they didn't was bad substitutions.

Frustrating but better to feel frustrated than hopeless I suppose...

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 05-21-2018, 11:59 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Stone called it a suicide squeeze, but it looked more like a safety squeeze to me. The runner wasn’t charging all the way, in fact he had stopped and then started and then stopped again, only making it about 1/3 of the way down the line. I only saw the 9th, but Stone never corrects himself when he’s wrong, so I wanted to point that out. Carry on.
I had to go rewatch this to make sure I wasn’t crazy. Engel didn’t start running until the ball crossed the plate and went foul. Not a suicide squeeze. That’s a well executed safety squeeze or a poorly executed suicide, but Engel wasn’t more than 10 feet off the bag when Yolmer laid it down. I was watching less intently than Voodoo
Old 05-22-2018, 12:04 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
The Sox lost because once again with runners in scoring position they wet the bed. Cashner gives them eight hits AND three walks and they only get two runs...plus you had another baserunning blunder which gave Baltimore an out.
Two baserunning blunders in the 5th and both Engel and Sanchez were out easily by several feet.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:08 AM
WSI Prelate

Engel shouldn't play professional baseball.

We will start playing better ball now that our bullpen is looking a lot better. We won't be a winning team, but a better one than the crao we showed. Especially when Kopech and Stephens make it up here.

I feel like we have had problems with RISP for a long time. This year that is inevitable given the lack of talent, but I hope it doesn't become a habit

Anyone thinking that Anderson has a chance to bust out, and that maybe we can keep Yolmer by moving him to short in the long run? (Or maybe finding a ven in the system).

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:29 AM
WSI Prelate

Renteria - Mercy!
Tonight was a season's worth of dim managing.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:07 AM
WSI Guru

Bad execution, bad managing, the Sox beat themselves. Archetypal of the organization.

This team just sucks with RISP. That's probably just as big a weakness as the pitching, which actually is showing signs of stabilizing.

Three weeks into the month, and Tim Anderson has one extra-base hit in May. I thought we would see a better player this year. We have not.

R
ead my baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 05-22-2018, 07:46 AM
WSI Personality

https://670thescore.radio.com/media/...te-sox-manager

A link to Jon Heyman discussing why it makes sense for Joe Girardi to be the next manager. He is not without his own epic blunders and I don't know if it really would be moving forward as an organization or just side to side but Ricky's boys haven't been able to play decent fundamentally.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:01 AM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post
https://670thescore.radio.com/media/...te-sox-manager

A link to Jon Heyman discussing why it makes sense for Joe Girardi to be the next manager. He is not without his own epic blunders and I don't know if it really would be moving forward as an organization or just side to side but Ricky's boys haven't been able to play decent fundamentally.
Too soon to call for a change, and I'm no fan of Girardi either. But I do wonder if JR will be too loyal to Renteria if he's still making these mistakes when the games matter.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:07 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
Engel shouldn't play professional baseball.

We will start playing better ball now that our bullpen is looking a lot better. We won't be a winning team, but a better one than the crao we showed. Especially when Kopech and Stephens make it up here.

I feel like we have had problems with RISP for a long time. This year that is inevitable given the lack of talent, but I hope it doesn't become a habit

Anyone thinking that Anderson has a chance to bust out, and that maybe we can keep Yolmer by moving him to short in the long run? (Or maybe finding a ven in the system).
I about threw my remote through the TV when Engel appeared to be picked off twice when he was on 1st and Yoan was batting. Situational awareness seems to be sorely lacking on this team. I was a big Renteria fan, but I'm starting to have my doubts.

I once wrote Anderson's name in ink as part of the team when it'll be ready to contend. Now I'm not so sure. BTW - there's a SS down at Kanny that's been raking all season - Laz Rivera. Obviously, at 23, he's old for that level but I'm wondering if they might have something there. No idea about his defense though. Or, maybe they can find an insurance policy in the upcoming draft.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:23 AM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

I'm starting to think that perhaps Renteria should not be the manager when this team plans to be competitive.

Go Sox!!!
Old 05-22-2018, 11:31 AM
WSI High Priest

My $0.02-

I liked the squeeze play in the 9th- Yolmer needs to get that bunt down.

Adam Engel and Trayce Thompson are in no way major league players- a shame Tilson is still working through the rust and Cordell is injured at AAA.

Anderson looks completely lost at the plate.

Removing Palka is a complete head scratcher- he's like Claudell Washington in the field- but I like his bat- with the current state of our outfield- put him in LF or RF every day- see what you have.

Nice appearances by Avila, Rondon and Soria.
Anderson, Giolito, Lopez, Moncada
Old 05-22-2018, 11:44 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
I'm starting to think that perhaps Renteria should not be the manager when this team plans to be competitive.
He will not be. It will either be Vizquel or Girardi.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:06 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:

Vizquel maybe, Girardi never under this ownership.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:22 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
As loyal as the organization is, I wouldn't count on it. Although I do agree he's not the guy I want when (if) this team gets good.

And I see today where Renteria had to bench yet another guy during the game for not hustling.

That's the fourth time since last season. These guys must really be "baseball-stupid" if they still don't get that this is going to happen if they keep doing it.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:38 PM
WSI Personality

I'm starting to have doubts too. Whatever he's saying clearly isn't registering this season. The loyalty factor could eventually be the wild card that keeps this team from putting it all together.