White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2019, 01:31 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Id be the first one to call bs and say hes pulling the wool over the sheep's eyes but the wheeler deal was one that just wasn't meant to be.
Old 12-05-2019, 01:32 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Illinois state income tax negates the higher overall dollar figure. The state taxes make the Sox offer a lower offer in take-home pay. Again, not necessarily assessing blame here, but it is something to be considered.
Non-starter. He does not have to establish residency in Illinois. Why do you think so many player's license plates are from Florida?

He would just have to pay Illinois income tax for the days he works in state.

If state income tax were an issue, then there would be many teams (looking at you, Yankess, Red Sox, Mets, and California teams) that would flee their towns for Florida, Texas, Alaska, etc.

Old 12-05-2019, 01:34 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Id be the first one to call bs and say hes pulling the wool over the sheep's eyes but the wheeler deal was one that just wasn't meant to be.
Right. This situation is different than previous situations. The money was there this time. The player just chose another team who also offered that money.
Old 12-05-2019, 01:36 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Non-starter. He does not have to establish residency in Illinois. Why do you think so many player's license plates are from Florida?

If state income tax were an issue, then there would be many teams (looking at you, Yankess, Red Sox, Mets, and California teams) that would flee their towns for Florida, Texas, Alaska, etc.
...And working 405 home games in Illinois as opposed to working 405 home games in Pennsylvania is a pretty sizable difference.
Old 12-05-2019, 01:43 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Illinois state income tax negates the higher overall dollar figure. The state taxes make the Sox offer a lower offer in take-home pay. Again, not necessarily assessing blame here, but it is something to be considered.

As for “proven top-end talent,” I agree with Dome. Giolito, Moncada, and TA all only have their 2020 excellence as proof. As far as multiple seasons of excellence, the only guy that comes to mind is Grandal.
I love all 3 of those guys. But Giolito has some concerning splits (Really bad July and Septembers)

Moncada looks great, And his September was particularly amazing. But September is historically a better hitters month because of the expanded rosters pitchers being in games.

With both Those guys, with TA, I want to see it again. They showed they can do it, but all 3 have prove it years. I by means said they don't have what COULD BE top end talent, but right now, none of them have really proven anything is my point.

Also, I don't know that I would say Grandal is anywhere near top end. He was 8th in C war last year, he is a good player, he frames very well, but I don't think he is an elite level C talent.

To be fair, I don't even know if Wheeler really is/was a top level P. He could easily be a 3 that looks better with a thinner pitching market. But if you take a step backwards from him instead of forwards, it only gets more disappointing.
Old 12-05-2019, 02:02 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

Actually, that's not how that works. It's dependent on the pay-roller of record.

When freelancers I work with go to Vegas and freelance for a company out there, they don't pay state taxes (Nevada has none). When I hire them to do an event for me in Vegas, they pay Illinois State taxes (because it's being pay-rolled from here in Illinois). It doesn't matter that the work is in Vegas, they're working for an Illinois company and they're on my Illinois company's payroll.
Old 12-05-2019, 02:10 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Actually, that's not how that works. It's dependent on the pay-roller of record.

When freelancers I work with go to Vegas and freelance for a company out there, they don't pay state taxes (Nevada has none). When I hire them to do an event for me in Vegas, they pay Illinois State taxes (because it's being pay-rolled from here in Illinois). It doesn't matter that the work is in Vegas, they're working for an Illinois company and they're on my Illinois company's payroll.
Maybe there are some facts missing, like the number of days actually worked in NV is de minimus, but this overall conclusion is wrong.
Old 12-05-2019, 05:30 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heffalump View Post
Maybe there are some facts missing, like the number of days actually worked in NV is de minimus, but this overall conclusion is wrong.
No, it's not wrong. As an employer who sends employees to work jobs in other states, our employees pay state of Illinois taxes - per Illinois - because the work is for an Illinois employer. Traveling doesn't change that. It would be different if we had an office in the other state, but we do not. As far as the government is concerned, they're working for an Illinois business so Illinois state taxes are paid.

I myself also travel for work quite a bit (especially to Vegas). I still pay Illinois income tax regardless of where I am located on any given day. Because I'm being payrolled from an office in Illinois.

Here's an example that should make this a bit more clear. If you're sent to Vegas (where there is no income tax) to attend a work conference...does your employer not withhold state taxes on the days they send you? You are working...
Old 12-05-2019, 05:45 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
...And working 405 home games in Illinois as opposed to working 405 home games in Pennsylvania is a pretty sizable difference.
Pennsylvania has an income tax rate of 3.07%. In addition, the City of Philadelphia has an income tax of 3.871%

Combined, much more than Illinois' 4.95%
Old 12-05-2019, 06:29 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Pennsylvania has an income tax rate of 3.07%. In addition, the City of Philadelphia has an income tax of 3.871%

Holy crap people pay a city income tax to live in that dump called Philadelphia!

edit: looks like it's capped at 2% for Pennsylvania cities other than Scranton and Philly. This blows my mind.
Old 12-05-2019, 06:32 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Holy crap people pay a city income tax to live in that dump called Philadelphia!

edit: looks like it's capped at 2% for Pennsylvania cities other than Scranton and Philly. This blows my mind.
http://www.tax-rates.org/pennsylvani...hia-income-tax

Quote:
Here's an example that should make this a bit more clear. If you're sent to Vegas (where there is no income tax) to attend a work conference...does your employer not withhold state taxes on the days they send you? You are working...
We're talking about baseball players here.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004

Last edited by Grzegorz; 12-05-2019 at 06:51 PM.
Old 12-05-2019, 06:50 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

It won’t be 4.95% once the ILGA passes a tax hike. It will be 7.99% or thereabouts for someone with an income that high.
Old 12-05-2019, 06:55 PM
WSI High Priest

RE:Wheeler

So it's not JR's fault but the fault of the state government?
Old 12-05-2019, 07:08 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post

We're talking about baseball players here.

Without going into too much detail, I'm in the same industry as major league baseball.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:39 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
RE:Wheeler

So it's not JR's fault but the fault of the state government?
In this case, it’s just an unfortunate coincidence. No real fault of anyone’s.
Closed Thread