GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2020, 02:19 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Did I overreact to seeing the name "Reynoldo Lopez"?
Yeah, we should just start getting his Cooperstown plaque ready now. It will only take longer if we wait.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:23 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
Yea! I believe the argument is "Would Lopez be a better pitcher in the bullpen or is he best left in the rotation?" And there are compelling arguments for both.
Lopez also has the profile of a guy who might turn into a dominant bullpen arm. Think of how many of the best RP are really failed SP, guys who never found consistency with a 3rd pitch, but could throw heat and had a really strong secondary pitch they could back it up with. Lopez may be a Wade Davis type where he struggles with command of 3 pitches but flourishes in the pen.

I would not write him totally off yet, but I would not hesitate to try that either. Sometimes a great bullpen arm >>>>>>>>>>>> bad starter.
Old 01-09-2020, 12:02 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Kind of an odd year in many ways. We have to let Cease and Kopech develop and they only get that through starting. Kopech will clearly be on an innings limit.

I personally have seen enough of Lopez but I understand if the front office is not ready to do that without one more look.

So you have Keuchel taking Ivan spot's, and Gio Gonzalez taking basically Covey's spot. The otherwise hope is that

1. Giolito is able to repeat his performance
2. Keuchel > Nova (should be)
3. Cease 2020 > Cease 2019
4. Lopez 2020 > Lopez 2019
5. Kopech is Healthy> Detwiler
6. Gio Gonzalez as the swing man> Covey as the swing man

I feel comfortable with 2, 5 and 6, I am hopeful for 3, and little confidence in 4. If you hit on 5 of those 6, you could be a playoff team. If you hit on 3, you need some help at the deadline, any less and you are sunk.
So, Lopez had a 3.0 WAR season in 18, and had a .5 WAR season last year. You're ready to throw that away? Were you ready to toss Giolito out with the trash going into last season? The prior two seasons he was 1.5 WAR and -1.3 WAR. Hey, what is the closing price of the S&P 500 going to be tomorrow?
Old 01-09-2020, 12:17 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorlecter View Post
So, Lopez had a 3.0 WAR season in 18, and had a .5 WAR season last year. You're ready to throw that away? Were you ready to toss Giolito out with the trash going into last season? The prior two seasons he was 1.5 WAR and -1.3 WAR. Hey, what is the closing price of the S&P 500 going to be tomorrow?
Different kind of pitchers. Lopez 18 year was really easy exposed as a lot of luck and smoke and mirrors when you looked deeper.

I also have a little more faith in the kid with the tireless work ethic like Giolito than the guy who Rick Renteria called out for being lazy.

Again, if your read anything I wrote, I am fine giving him a half season to show he can be the guy, but if he can't, I put him in the pen where I believe his stuff plays really, really well.
Old 01-09-2020, 09:58 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Different kind of pitchers. Lopez 18 year was really easy exposed as a lot of luck and smoke and mirrors when you looked deeper.

I also have a little more faith in the kid with the tireless work ethic like Giolito than the guy who Rick Renteria called out for being lazy.

Again, if your read anything I wrote, I am fine giving him a half season to show he can be the guy, but if he can't, I put him in the pen where I believe his stuff plays really, really well.
I'm optimistic Lopez can turn the corner and probably recognizes that with Giolito, Kopech, Cease, Keuchel, Rodon in the picture by the 2nd half- that the window is closing on his ability to be part of the rotation. Another half season will mean almost 3 full seasons in the bigs to prove himself.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:16 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

Sometimes a player will make it a long way in their career without ever really having to work to be better than their competition. Then, they get to that level where their talent alone isn't enough, and they don't know how to push themselves to get better because they never had to before.

I am not sure what Lopez' deal is, but he's got more than enough ability. Does he want it bad enough?
Old 01-09-2020, 10:26 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
Sometimes a player will make it a long way in their career without ever really having to work to be better than their competition. Then, they get to that level where their talent alone isn't enough, and they don't know how to push themselves to get better because they never had to before.

I am not sure what Lopez' deal is, but he's got more than enough ability. Does he want it bad enough?
We'll find out soon enough this year. He has to know that his rotation spot is not guaranteed after bringing in two veteran starters and Kopech set to join the team soon. If it's true that he wasn't putting in the work, maybe this will be a wake up call. Either that or he's out of the rotation once Kopech is up.

If that happens, one thing they'll have to figure it is what his next step is. Lots of people are talking about moving him to the bullpen, but they might want to keep him stretched out in Charlotte as starting depth until some more guys are ready (Rodon, Dunning, Stiever, etc.).
Old 01-09-2020, 10:35 AM
WSI Prelate

I also imagine his prep or his work ethic had to be REALLY bad. I mean Renteria does NOT call his guys out publicly at all, so for him to do that, he must have been either (a) FURIOUS (b) Frustrated beyond belief or (c) Thinking this was the last resort to reach him.