White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2019, 05:06 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Rather throw 8/280 at Cole and see if he blinks.
Right; trading Moncada under the scenario presented above is a panic move.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 12-05-2019, 08:26 AM
WSI Personality

Margulas with a very reasonable take on the Wheeler pursuit.

https://www.soxmachine.com/2019/12/0...-zack-wheeler/
Old 12-05-2019, 08:39 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Rather throw 8/280 at Cole and see if he blinks.
If I'm Hahn, I do it right now. Cole's been meeting with the Yankees who can realistically beat any offer and both the Dodgers/Angels. It's been rumored for a while now he's wanted to play in California and the Angels REALLY need pitching badly. And they're no stranger to handing out massive contracts. Texas and Philly have also been connected but that was reported by Heyman, who is probably the 2nd least trustworthy baseball reporter after Nightengale.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:40 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
Margulas with a very reasonable take on the Wheeler pursuit.

https://www.soxmachine.com/2019/12/0...-zack-wheeler/
Margulas is easily one of the most reasonable White Sox fans out there IMO.

I still don't want Bumgarner. I really feel like he has too many innings on his arm at his age.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:57 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Forgetting the fiance story...if you told me the Phillies offered $120 million, I'd have told you we needed to offer $140 million for him to pass that opportunity up.
So you think the Phillies have a brighter future than the Sox?
Old 12-05-2019, 09:17 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
So you think the Phillies have a brighter future than the Sox?

The Phillies could win the World Series this year.

The Phillies also won't hesitate to sign top tier free agents.

The Phillies will still be in on Cole and Strasburg.

This isn't even a fair comparison.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:37 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
The Phillies were 81-81 last year, I know you value Wheeler highly, but he's not worth the 15-20 wins that would be needed to make them World Series contenders.

Quote:
The Sox are going after the exact same players as the Phillies, so this point is moot. Also the Sox have much more room in their payroll now than the Phillies, so I doubt the Phillies are going to be signing many more big ticket FAs.

Quote:
Why in the world would you think that? The point of signing Wheeler is that you can get 75% of the production of those guys (if everything works out perfectly) for a much lower commitment. Same reason the Sox (and 3-4 other teams) were targeting him. The White Sox are more likely to sign one of those guys than the Phillies (though neither is particularly likely).

Quote:
The Sox and Phillies are in pretty similar situations, with differences being (a) the Phillies are probably a year "ahead" in their rebuilding, (b) the Sox play in an easier division, and (c) the Phillies kind of plateaued this past season (despite their big FA addition), whereas the Sox are on an upward trajectory.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:40 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

Philly won’t even win their division in 2020.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."George Orwell
Old 12-05-2019, 09:56 AM
WSI Personality

Here's a list of the guys projected to be the top FAs at each position in the next couple years.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-free-ag...022-c302396056

Notably, the SP list for next offseason:

Quote:
Starting pitchers: Trevor Bauer, Robbie Ray, James Paxton, Masahiro Tanaka, Jake Arrieta (club option), Marcus Stroman, Jose Quintana
Some of these guys will likely end up signing extensions before then as well.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:45 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
They've won nothing. Not WS titles, no success.
Seriously?
Old 12-05-2019, 11:06 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
The Phillies were 81-81 last year, I know you value Wheeler highly, but he's not worth the 15-20 wins that would be needed to make them World Series contenders.

The Sox are going after the exact same players as the Phillies, so this point is moot. Also the Sox have much more room in their payroll now than the Phillies, so I doubt the Phillies are going to be signing many more big ticket FAs.

Why in the world would you think that? The point of signing Wheeler is that you can get 75% of the production of those guys (if everything works out perfectly) for a much lower commitment. Same reason the Sox (and 3-4 other teams) were targeting him. The White Sox are more likely to sign one of those guys than the Phillies (though neither is particularly likely).

The Sox and Phillies are in pretty similar situations, with differences being (a) the Phillies are probably a year "ahead" in their rebuilding, (b) the Sox play in an easier division, and (c) the Phillies kind of plateaued this past season (despite their big FA addition), whereas the Sox are on an upward trajectory.
The Phillies underperformed in probably the best division in baseball. But they're a really good, built for now team that should be better just on the merits of losing a pretty terrible manager.

I'm just repeating the reports. The Phillies are still going to engage the top two guys even after Wheeler.

I don't think the Sox and Phillies are remotely in the same boat. The Phillies are win now. They've been competitive two straight years in their division, signed their first marquee free agent last offseason, and look to continue the trend this offseason.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:32 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Here's a list of the guys projected to be the top FAs at each position in the next couple years.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-free-ag...022-c302396056

Notably, the SP list for next offseason:

Some of these guys will likely end up signing extensions before then as well.
The Yankees are looking at 60% of their current rotation being FAs after 2020. Not a comforting position to be in.

Old 12-05-2019, 03:31 PM
WSI Personality

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status...389186048?s=19

Any thoughts on Yo****omo Tsutsugo? He's 28 and apparently he can mash (in Japan). https://www.baseball-reference.com/r...d=tsutsu000yos

I don't know anything else about him though.

Edit: LOL at that censorship in the name
Old 12-05-2019, 04:40 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status...389186048?s=19

Any thoughts on Yo****omo Tsutsugo? He's 28 and apparently he can mash (in Japan). https://www.baseball-reference.com/r...d=tsutsu000yos

I don't know anything else about him though.

Edit: LOL at that censorship in the name
I read that he's limited defensively and best suited to DH. Sox have DH and 1B covered. Not sure he's a good fit unless Sox scouts are convinced he can handle RF full-time.

2019 Sox Attendance Tracker: 9-6
All time Sox Attendance Tracker:

286-247
Old 12-05-2019, 05:05 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
The point of signing Rendon would be to move Moncada back to 2B and put out a truly elite lineup every day, not to turn around and flip Moncada for a pitcher.

Moncada, Jimenez, and Robert are the core position players of this rebuild. Kopech, Cease, and now Giolito are the core starting pitchers. Right now, this rebuild delivers a championship if and only if all 6 of those guys become really good MLB players.

Adding a guy like Rendon to a lineup that already includes those 3, plus Grandal, plus TA, plus Abreu would be a great move. It’s certainly better than adding any of the rumored RF targets. In 2021, add Vaughn at 1B and Madrigal as a Swiss army knife to put the finishing touches on a devastating lineup.

At that point, just let Engel play a great defensive CF and do whatever the hell he can do as a #9 hitter. 2020 basically would be his last chance to do something in a White Sox uniform. By that point, hopefully someone emerges from the wreckage that used to be our outfield depth, unless Engel somehow starts smacking the **** out of the ball with all that protection in the lineup and earns the job.

Ideally, 2021 would look something like this:

LF: Eloy (just live with the ridiculousness I guess)

CF: Robert (unless Engel shocks the world)

RF: TBD (unless Robert is playing here)

3B: Rendon

SS: TA (unless he shows that he is not capable)

2B: Moncada (unless he shows that he is not capable)

1B: Vaughn (unless he needs more time in the minors)

C: Grandal

DH: Abreu

Madrigal, backup C, TBD, TBD

This hedges against lots of different bad scenarios, like Vaughn not being ready by 2021, TA not being able to play SS, or someone suffering a devastating injury.
YUCK to Moncada moving back to 2nd base- he's much more valuable at 3rd base- and will hold up better there over time.
Closed Thread