White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2019, 10:25 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
Why is Sheets more expendable than Collins?
Easy, he has one of the best prospects in baseball at his ONLY position of 1B.
Old 12-12-2019, 11:56 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
I'm confused. He says, "it will be used for player acquisitions." That sounds like he's confirming that it will be spent to improve the team with new players to me.
Right. PlayerS. That lets everyone know that we definitely will be shopping slightly below the highest tier of free agency for the foreseeable future.

Meet the new boss...same as the old boss...
Old 12-12-2019, 12:02 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Right. PlayerS. That lets everyone know that we definitely will be shopping slightly below the highest tier of free agency for the foreseeable future.

I think you're reading way to much into a single letter.
Old 12-12-2019, 12:08 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
I think you're reading way to much into a single letter.
So far, so bad...
Old 12-12-2019, 12:08 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:

**** it. Spend all the money. Spend it now. Spend it for the sake of spending it, it is burning a hole in my pocket.

Glad to see the Sox front office is a responsible group of people who are prudent with the money. But, hey, we're just the fans, it's not our money. Well, it really is since we buy tickets to see the games and enjoy paying lower prices than the fans of other teams.

Old 12-12-2019, 12:18 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

This is why it's hard to have a conversation with you or take you seriously at times because you just read what you want to read whenever Hahn makes a comment. Whatever fits your line of thinking of how this team operates suddenly is fact and everyone else is dumb for thinking otherwise. It's exhausting.
Old 12-12-2019, 12:21 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
So far, so bad...
The only guy available this offseason who was in the Machado-level of contracts was Cole, and he just pulled in the riskiest deal in MLB history. Don't get me wrong, he would have been a huge improvement over what we currently have, but for that price there was just no way.

I suppose they could have given Rendon or Strasburg the deal they offered Machado last year, but that would have been a huge overpay. And Rendon doesn't fill a position of direct need (though again, he would certainly make the team better). Maybe they're saving the money for Betts next year. There's no way of knowing for sure at this point.

One thing we do know for sure is that they are willing to hand out $100M+ contracts, so the narrative that they will never hand out such a contract can be thrown out the window. It's just that there is nobody left who is really worth that kind of money at this point. Giving out that kind of contract to one of the remaining options would just be spending for the sake of spending, which is not a smart way to build a team. Save the money for the real difference-makers.
Old 12-12-2019, 12:25 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
The only guy available this offseason who was in the Machado-level of contracts was Cole, and he just pulled in the riskiest deal in MLB history. Don't get me wrong, he would have been a huge improvement over what we currently have, but for that price there was just no way.

I suppose they could have given Rendon or Strasburg the deal they offered Machado last year, but that would have been a huge overpay. And Rendon doesn't fill a position of direct need (though again, he would certainly make the team better). Maybe they're saving the money for Betts next year. There's no way of knowing for sure at this point.

One thing we do know for sure is that they are willing to hand out $100M+ contracts, so the narrative that they will never hand out such a contract can be thrown out the window. It's just that there is nobody left who is really worth that kind of money at this point. Giving out that kind of contract to one of the remaining options would just be spending for the sake of spending, which is not a smart way to build a team. Save the money for the real difference-makers.
Thank you.
Old 12-12-2019, 12:48 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
This is why it's hard to have a conversation with you or take you seriously at times because you just read what you want to read whenever Hahn makes a comment. Whatever fits your line of thinking of how this team operates suddenly is fact and everyone else is dumb for thinking otherwise. It's exhausting.
Thatís fine. Be exhausted.

You know what I find exhausting? The annual explanations and excuses about why yet another offseason failed to produce results.

And yes, a $125ish, $135ish payroll and a failure to sign a nine-figure talent, let alone a true game-changer, will make me question this organizationís commitment to win.

And yes, for once, **** it. Spend the ****ing money. Spend all of it.
Old 12-12-2019, 12:49 PM
WSI Personality

I'll add because I think some are forgetting - just because the Sox have been involved in talks with some higher-priced FAs, it does not mean that this team isn't still in a rebuild. They're starting to come out of it, and most of the key pieces will be up at the MLB level this season, but that doesn't mean they're going to be finished products. There are key guys (mostly Kopech, Cease, and Robert) that are going to have to clear the MLB hurdle in 2020 before they can really be relied upon.

That means if you're handing out $30M AAV contracts, the first year will essentially be wasted while the team comes together. They may (likely will) compete for the division due to the lack of competition, but they're not going to take down the upper-echelon teams in the AL while these guys are still learning the ropes. A $30M AAV player would likely help make the season more interesting, but it's not going to make Kopech, Cease, or Robert develop any faster. (Side note: one guy who could make them develop faster? Yasmani Grandal).

Hahn's stated goal is to build a sustained winner - it doesn't all have to happen this offseason.
Old 12-12-2019, 12:51 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Thatís fine. Be exhausted.

You know what I find exhausting? The annual explanations and excuses about why yet another offseason failed to produce results.

And yes, a $125ish, $135ish payroll and a failure to sign a nine-figure talent, let alone a true game-changer, will make me question this organizationís commitment to win.

And yes, for once, **** it. Spend the ****ing money. Spend all of it.
And what if the money is being earmarked for Betts a year from now? Would that satisfy you? And will you be bitter for the next 12 months until the deal gets done?
Old 12-12-2019, 01:09 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
And what if the money is being earmarked for Betts a year from now? Would that satisfy you? And will you be bitter for the next 12 months until the deal gets done?
And what if this happens again next offseason, like it has every offseason literally almost ever (the only time I can think of a big spend ever in FA was Belle)
Old 12-12-2019, 01:14 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
You apparently didn't get the memo - the Sox offseason transactions are officially over. Stick a fork in it, there's zero chance of them making any other positive moves. It's time you woke up and started parsing every statement for this obvious conclusion.
Old 12-12-2019, 01:15 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Most (as in about 20) MLB teams do not engage in the high-stakes nine figure pursuit of free agents. Why should we be part of the irresponsible crowd?

If the Yankees, Nationals or Angels were publicly held corporations, they would be facing a massive shareholder lawsuit right now for the Cole, Strasburg and Rendon contracts.
Old 12-12-2019, 01:18 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
**** it. Spend all the money. Spend it now. Spend it for the sake of spending it, it is burning a hole in my pocket.

Glad to see the Sox front office is a responsible group of people who are prudent with the money. But, hey, we're just the fans, it's not our money. Well, it really is since we buy tickets to see the games and enjoy paying lower prices than the fans of other teams.
I feel way worse spending my money on season tickets now than I would paying two or three times more for a team that actually tries to win.
Closed Thread