White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2019, 01:36 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
And what if the money is being earmarked for Betts a year from now? Would that satisfy you? And will you be bitter for the next 12 months until the deal gets done?
I generally agree with the points you make and I'm not in the Front Office Hates Us Camp, but let's be honest here .... Mookie Betts will not be a White Sox.

Until he's 35 and a 63 year old Kenny Williams trades for him. (no teal)
Old 12-12-2019, 01:39 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

The Sox are in a way publicly held by the tax payers of Illinois and Chicago. Much of their profits are due to the tax payers footing some of their bills. Shouldnt the Sox be held responsible by putting the best product on the field rather than just increasing their shareholders stake?

This appears to be the second straight year where they say they want to spend their profits, to make the team better but it just didnt happen. Is there a point where they will be forced to spend the money or will it just continue?

Regarding low ticket prices, you get what you pay for.
Old 12-12-2019, 01:58 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Most (as in about 20) MLB teams do not engage in the high-stakes nine figure pursuit of free agents. Why should we be part of the irresponsible crowd?

If the Yankees, Nationals or Angels were publicly held corporations, they would be facing a massive shareholder lawsuit right now for the Cole, Strasburg and Rendon contracts.
(1) This is not true. There are 5 teams who have never given out a 100 mil contract, we are one of them, this is about a year old now

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...-mlb-team.html

(2) Of those 5, the Indians had actually given out a 20 mil AAV, just no the length.

(3) https://www.mlb.com/cut4/which-teams...ost-c289460918

Responsibility has provided us the least amount of playoff appearances by any team ever in relation to how long they have been around. This is from 2018, so it has only gotten worse for us.

So maybe its time to stop being cheap *******s and try and win?
Old 12-12-2019, 01:59 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Most (as in about 20) MLB teams do not engage in the high-stakes nine figure pursuit of free agents. Why should we be part of the irresponsible crowd?

If the Yankees, Nationals or Angels were publicly held corporations, they would be facing a massive shareholder lawsuit right now for the Cole, Strasburg and Rendon contracts.
Those 20 teams also don’t pretend to be something they’re not.
Old 12-12-2019, 02:06 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
You know what I find exhausting? The annual explanations and excuses about why yet another offseason failed to produce results.
Then either stop having expectations or stop following the team. What good does fretting about it do you?

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 12-12-2019, 02:07 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
The Sox are in a way publicly held by the tax payers of Illinois and Chicago. Much of their profits are due to the tax payers footing some of their bills. Shouldnt the Sox be held responsible by putting the best product on the field rather than just increasing their shareholders stake?
No.

Stephen A. Smith would even cringe at this take.
Old 12-12-2019, 02:16 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
No. Ask the SEC what is a publicly held company.

There is no return to the taxpayer for success on the financial field.

Old 12-12-2019, 02:28 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Because Sheets can't play behind the plate, and there is still a chance that Collins can.
If the White Sox do not know whether Collins can handle catching duties by now they've failed.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 12-12-2019, 02:42 PM
WSI Prelate

If they don't want to spend on big FAs, fine. Then put together a top notch scouting, development and analytics operation. Well they don't want to bother with that either. They just load the place up with FOHs. What you see is what you get.
Old 12-12-2019, 02:43 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
No. Ask the SEC what is a publicly held company.

There is no return to the taxpayer for success on the financial field.

Ok and no return is what the taxpayers are getting for their success.
Old 12-12-2019, 03:38 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfy View Post
I generally agree with the points you make and I'm not in the Front Office Hates Us Camp, but let's be honest here .... Mookie Betts will not be a White Sox.

Until he's 35 and a 63 year old Kenny Williams trades for him. (no teal)
I'm not going to assume that just because the Sox haven't converted on a big-time FA signing, they aren't going to convert next year. A lot of the top-spending teams (Yankees, Angels, Phillies to name a few) aren't going to even be in the running because they've blown their wads this year. And the Sox have already reportedly been showing interest.

Last edited by ChiTownTrojan; 12-12-2019 at 03:44 PM.
Old 12-12-2019, 03:59 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
And yes, for once, **** it. Spend the ****ing money. Spend all of it.
So easy to say when it's not your money. I'd rather see the money spent wisely, then spent just to be spending it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
I feel way worse spending my money on season tickets now than I would paying two or three times more for a team that actually tries to win.
Just because someone is not following the method that you want them to follow doesn't mean they are not trying. But I'm sure NY has room for you. Move out to the Bronx and get your season tickets over there since you like how they're doing it.
Old 12-12-2019, 04:03 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
So easy to say when it's not your money. I'd rather see the money spent wisely, then spent just to be spending it.
This response is beyond played-out. Either spend like the big boys, or be honest about what this organization is willing—and unwilling—to do.
Old 12-12-2019, 04:24 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
The only guy available this offseason who was in the Machado-level of contracts was Cole, and he just pulled in the riskiest deal in MLB history. Don't get me wrong, he would have been a huge improvement over what we currently have, but for that price there was just no way.

I suppose they could have given Rendon or Strasburg the deal they offered Machado last year, but that would have been a huge overpay. And Rendon doesn't fill a position of direct need (though again, he would certainly make the team better). Maybe they're saving the money for Betts next year. There's no way of knowing for sure at this point.

One thing we do know for sure is that they are willing to hand out $100M+ contracts, so the narrative that they will never hand out such a contract can be thrown out the window. It's just that there is nobody left who is really worth that kind of money at this point. Giving out that kind of contract to one of the remaining options would just be spending for the sake of spending, which is not a smart way to build a team. Save the money for the real difference-makers.
I'm finally almost all caught up on the 'hot takes' re: the recent signing.

IMO, this was a bad year for position player FAs that fit the Sox needs. Rendon, for as talented as he is, plays 3rd. After the leap Moncada made last year at 3rd, I'd prefer we don't mess with him by moving him back to 2nd - especially since this would block Madrigal. RF is/was headlined by a bunch of deeply flawed options that will each be grossly overpaid due to limited supply. I'm really glad the Sox didn't overpay for Castellanos, Ozuna, etc. They filled C with the best option available. Now there's DH and SP. With respect to pitching, they have to overpay. There's no way around it. They at least tried to overpay for Wheeler but these guys have free will. You can't make someone pick you no matter how much $ you throw at them.

If they can upgrade their rotation, I would deem this off-season a success. If they don't add any 2-3 WAR arms, then I'm not going to be too happy.
Old 12-12-2019, 04:30 PM
WSI Prelate

I completely understand the anger and resentment many fans feel against this ownership group. I share that sentiment.

Reinsdorf may treat his employees well, and he may be very active in the community. Those things are commendable.

But those things do not win championships. The Sox don’t even win that many division titles, in a division filled with smaller market teams that we otherwise are sufficiently resourced - particularly considering the sweetheart stadium lease deal - to dominate.

I’d understand if they don’t want to be throwing around $300M contracts to pitchers, if they instead were more progressive - and ruthless, even - in developing a top notch talent development system on par with the Astros, Braves, Dodgers, or Cardinals, and/or developing cutting edge analytical approaches to rival the Astros, Athletics, or Rays.

It’s this stubborn insistence on rewarding loyalty, and only grudgingly innovating, on top of the miserliness, that is disturbing and upsetting.

The taxpayers are subsidizing Reinsdorf’s annual profit. Maybe the holidays should inspire me say something more charitable, but his blatant disregard for the fans and the taxpayers is contemptible.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Closed Thread