White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2019, 04:46 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Ok and no return is what the taxpayers are getting for their success.
How do you know the taxpayers are getting no return on the White Sox investment?

There are sales and entertainment taxes being paid for the tickets, sales taxes paid for everything purchased in the stadium, the Sports Depot and the Bar and Grill. There are taxes paid by each person who parks in the lots.

I don't have access to the how much all those taxes add up to each year starting in 1991, so I cannot say if the taxpayers have "profited" from the investment, but it's not as it no money came back to the taxpayers by keeping the Sox here and not moving to Florida.

Old 12-12-2019, 05:04 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
This response is beyond played-out. Either spend like the big boys, or be honest about what this organization is willing—and unwilling—to do.
What does this even mean? Why would any professional franchise ever tell their fan base 'hey, we want to win but we're going to try to do so on the cheap. Hope you don't mind!'

There's really no benefit to transparency. I would agree that making statements like "the money will be spent" are unnecessary - especially if you're going to try to parse those words a year later. Why paint yourself into a corner? It's probably better to remain mum. With that said, I choose to believe that he meant that the Sox will at least try to spend the money and if the reports re: Wheeler are true, they put their money where their mouth is - it just didn't work out.

I also would prefer they not overpay for a deeply flawed RF and earmark that money for other positions of need. Or, do exactly as they did and upgrade the position but keep their flint dry for Betts next year. Assuming Mazara doesn't morph into a star and none of the myriad OF prospects take a giant step forward, there will be zero excuse not to break the bank on Betts. But even if they do, that doesn't mean he won't take a lesser deal (like Wheeler).
Old 12-12-2019, 05:26 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Chappas View Post
What does this even mean? Why would any professional franchise ever tell their fan base 'hey, we want to win but we're going to try to do so on the cheap. Hope you don't mind!'

There's really no benefit to transparency. I would agree that making statements like "the money will be spent" are unnecessary - especially if you're going to try to parse those words a year later. Why paint yourself into a corner? It's probably better to remain mum. With that said, I choose to believe that he meant that the Sox will at least try to spend the money and if the reports re: Wheeler are true, they put their money where their mouth is - it just didn't work out.

I also would prefer they not overpay for a deeply flawed RF and earmark that money for other positions of need. Or, do exactly as they did and upgrade the position but keep their flint dry for Betts next year. Assuming Mazara doesn't morph into a star and none of the myriad OF prospects take a giant step forward, there will be zero excuse not to break the bank on Betts. But even if they do, that doesn't mean he won't take a lesser deal (like Wheeler).
Do we see teams like Minnesota or Milwaukee or Cleveland hyping up their involvement in high-priced free agent talks every year, only to never actually walk away with any high-priced free agents? They do the opposite; they make sure to pepper every damn article on their websites with phrases like budget-conscious,” “small-market,” and “cash-strapped.”

Hell, the Indians’ owner basically all but admitted that Lindor was out the door soon. He told fans to “enjoy him while he’s here” or something to that effect.
Old 12-12-2019, 05:49 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
This is why it's hard to have a conversation with you or take you seriously at times because you just read what you want to read whenever Hahn makes a comment. Whatever fits your line of thinking of how this team operates suddenly is fact and everyone else is dumb for thinking otherwise. It's exhausting.
“You could argue some of it went to Grandal, you could argue some of it went to the Eloy extension or re-signing Abreu or whatever we have coming down the pipe next.”—Rick Hahn

I’m sorry. At this point, they are digging their own graves.

“It’s not our fault you misinterpreted our quote to mean that the money will be spent on big-time talent!”
Old 12-12-2019, 06:17 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

This thread is pathetic and is now in the minor-trash heap forum. Carry on...

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 12-12-2019, 06:29 PM
WSI Prelate

Well ... ****.

I guess it makes sense for this to be here anyway to keep the front page open for actual moves. Maybe let's all cut it out now and just talk rumors and news as it comes instead of rehashing the same bull****?
Old 12-12-2019, 06:41 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
Well ... ****.

I guess it makes sense for this to be here anyway to keep the front page open for actual moves. Maybe let's all cut it out now and just talk rumors and news as it comes instead of rehashing the same bull****?
I'll create a special thread in the Roadhouse and start moving posts there that continue to rehash the same tired bull**** if necessary. People whose posts end up there regularly will soon realize their bull**** is tired...
Old 12-12-2019, 11:58 PM
WSI Prelate

Man, it sure sounds like teams are asking for the Sun with their players after the $ that got tossed out these past couple weeks.

I just hope that if we start trading worthwhile prospects, we get a surprise young pitcher in return. Going through rosters and guessing who is available is a real time suck.
Old 12-13-2019, 12:02 AM
WSI Prelate

Any medical people here know if the type of wrist cyst Price had surgery on is something that has a decent chance of being a recurring thing?

Last edited by KRS1; 12-13-2019 at 12:43 AM.
Old 12-13-2019, 08:18 AM
WSI High Priest

I hope we take a look at Julio Teherán. 28 years old. Still has some good upside years ahead of him.
2013 WSI Baseball H2H Champion
2018 WSI Dynasty Baseball Runner-Up
Old 12-13-2019, 09:32 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
(1) This is not true. There are 5 teams who have never given out a 100 mil contract, we are one of them, this is about a year old now

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...-mlb-team.html

(2) Of those 5, the Indians had actually given out a 20 mil AAV, just no the length.

(3) https://www.mlb.com/cut4/which-teams...ost-c289460918

Responsibility has provided us the least amount of playoff appearances by any team ever in relation to how long they have been around. This is from 2018, so it has only gotten worse for us.

So maybe its time to stop being cheap *******s and try and win?
Very few of the contracts on that first list led to the success hoped for.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."George Orwell
Old 12-13-2019, 09:51 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by 102605 View Post
I hope we take a look at Julio Teherán. 28 years old. Still has some good upside years ahead of him.
I offered up that idea a few days ago. Only saw one other response and it wasn't positive. Of course that was before the starting pitching market evolved to where guys like Bumgarner, Ryu, and Keuchel fell into the 4-5 years/80-100 million category.

Tehran has got to be better than anybody we saw last year in the 4th or 5th spot in the rotation.
Old 12-13-2019, 12:08 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Do we see teams like Minnesota or Milwaukee or Cleveland hyping up their involvement in high-priced free agent talks every year, only to never actually walk away with any high-priced free agents? They do the opposite; they make sure to pepper every damn article on their websites with phrases like budget-conscious,” “small-market,” and “cash-strapped.”

Hell, the Indians’ owner basically all but admitted that Lindor was out the door soon. He told fans to “enjoy him while he’s here” or something to that effect.
I agree that Hahn should probably remain quiet but virtually every reporter asks the same questions. It's also harder to placate Sox fans with "small market" excuses even if they're more true than not.

I guess where I land on this - thus far - is that nothing has happened that wasn't expected apart from whiffing on Wheeler. I don't think the Sox had a prayer of signing either Strasburg or Cole regardless of contract terms. Those players aren't looking to be part of a rebuild and at some point, tacking on a million or two on an already outrageous contract isn't going to trump playing for the Yankees or re-signing with the Nats. Rendon would have been nice but maybe the Sox didn't want to mess with Moncada by moving him to 2B or they wanted to keep 2B open for Madrigal.

This all will boil down to what arms they get. If they whiff on all of them, then yes, I'll be angry as hell. But I'm willing to see how things shake out before I declare this off-season a bust.
Old 12-13-2019, 02:03 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 102605 View Post
28 who now throws 90 and walks more people than when he had stuff. I think he gets destroyed in the AL and our park.
Old 12-13-2019, 05:08 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
Any medical people here know if the type of wrist cyst Price had surgery on is something that has a decent chance of being a recurring thing?
I've had a ganglion cyst. They do recur. Depending on the treatment method, recurrence might be more or less likely. It's less likely if he had it cut out.
Closed Thread