GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2019, 09:06 AM
WSI Personality

Haven't seen anyone post streamer projections yet:

https://www.fangraphs.com/projection...=all&players=0

Ryu projects around .5 war more than Keuchel for next year. Interestingly Kyle Gibson projects better than both in terms of war.
Old 12-24-2019, 09:30 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
I think they can contend in 2020 for the Central Divison title or (less likely) the 2nd Wild Card.

Other than health, which is always the key variable, I think they have major new additions coming to the roster- Robert, Madrigal, Grandal, Kuechel, Gonzalez - even Mazara is an upgrade vs. 2019. Then additions coming off injury- Kopech possibly followed by Rodon later in the season. On top of that, continued improvement from Eloy (2nd full season), Moncada (2nd full season at 3rd base) and Cease (1st full season).

Two key variables in the contention equation- does Lopez come around as a starter to fill out the rotation? Does Anderson solidify his defense- especially to take full advantage of Keuchel and the improved rotation overall?

That's my take with the current roster as it stands- liking the rumors that they are still looking to add another bat, and they'll need to add a bullpen arm or 2 as well.
This I agree with, my point was a comparison with Yabks/Nats/Astroís who are title contenders not playoff contenders is misplaced IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
It is not even remotely close to a pipe dream now, and it will definitely not be at the end of this offseason.
Iíd love to see it, I think itís a year away given limited/no MLB Time for a bunch of key guys (kopech, Robert, madrigal) and limited success for a couple others (Cease, Lopez, Eloy, Mazara).
Old 12-24-2019, 12:58 PM
WSI Village Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
We are already improved enough where 83-85 wins is the baseline. 90 wins is possible and I fully believe we will make additions to make that happen.

It isn't a pipe dream and we are ready to contend now.

Sporting News: White Sox will win 95

Apr 8 L
May 18 W
May 29 W
Jun 15 L
Jun 29 L
Jul 3 (1) W
Jul 4 L
Jul 23 L
Aug 13 (1) L
Aug 13 (2) W
Aug 24 L
Aug 29 L
Sep 6 L
Sep 12 L
Sep 28 (1) W
Sep 28 (2) L

Next Game Spring 2020
Old 12-24-2019, 09:27 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOX ADDICT '73 View Post
HomeFish gonna HomeFish...
LOL. Somethings never change

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello
Old 12-24-2019, 10:03 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Did Omar Vizquel hinder their progression with a bad offensive game plan?

I'm asking because of the fact there was little progression last year and the Sox let him walk this year. They seem to be focusing on newer metrics recently and that might mean they were not coaching these players to be their best offensively last year under Vizquel.

Just asking a question here. Obviously there hasn't been as much success with these guys as we'd like.
I'm not sure what the exact reason was. The organization did not place all the blame on B'hams offensive woes squarely on him, a lot of the same players did well for him in 2017 in Winston-Salem.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 12-24-2019, 10:32 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
I'm not sure what the exact reason was. The organization did not place all the blame on B'hams offensive woes squarely on him, a lot of the same players did well for him in 2017 in Winston-Salem.
I read/heard elsewhere that Vizquel was believed to be prioritizing winning games over player development.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 12-25-2019, 03:28 PM
Winner 2019 PTC Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by FielderJones View Post
I have looked at our total projected WAR, done both a worst case, best case, and median WAR projection, and our output ranges from 83 wins, worst case, to 98 wins best case. This is purely by comparing our total WAR expected to how that performed last year in terms of win totals.

We have improved significantly. Barring a complete collapse by our rookies, this team is a contender for the division.

Oh, and I haven't counted for Edwin yet.

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 12-30-2019, 01:37 PM
WSI Prelate

The Keuchel deal is official:
https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/news/da...white-sox-deal
Old 12-30-2019, 01:51 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmck003 View Post

Ryu projects around .5 war more than Keuchel for next year. Interestingly Kyle Gibson projects better than both in terms of war.
Gibson has high Ks and risking; walks are a touch high, but steady. Some signs that he's getting better with age. Perhaps WAR believes that he had a string of bad luck last season.
Old 12-30-2019, 03:41 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
The deal is much better than anticipated, we are not on the hook for a vesting option for year 4. Simple team option with a $1.5 million buyout.

I know a lot of people were freaking out thinking this was going to end up being 4 years automatically with an easy vesting clause on IPs, not the case.

Sox did good here.
Old 12-30-2019, 08:50 PM
WSI High Priest

Hahn on keeping his powder dry.

https://www.mlb.com/news/bullpen-a-p...s-keuchel-deal
ďThere were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. Georgeís great strength was he didnít overcoach. Thereís no place for panic on the mound.Ē - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger ďArms and the man,Ē Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 12-31-2019, 06:28 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by FielderJones View Post

It does seem as if the division is ripe for the taking . my favorite part of that article, other than the White Sox winning, is the prediction that the super-balls that they were using last year, will be a thing of the past, so that the home run craze will go by the board . i hope that they both happen.
Old 12-31-2019, 09:19 AM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwar View Post
It does seem as if the division is ripe for the taking . my favorite part of that article, other than the White Sox winning, is the prediction that the super-balls that they were using last year, will be a thing of the past, so that the home run craze will go by the board . i hope that they both happen.

I really hope baseball will be played the way I have i seen it played, for most of my life.
Old 12-31-2019, 10:10 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
The deal is much better than anticipated, we are not on the hook for a vesting option for year 4. Simple team option with a $1.5 million buyout.

I know a lot of people were freaking out thinking this was going to end up being 4 years automatically with an easy vesting clause on IPs, not the case.

Sox did good here.
Per Feganís article, the option can still be vested (vest?) if Keuchel hits certain performance marks, but the Sox donít like to announce such details.