GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2020, 11:04 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
I'm not sure I would say "by far" - Eloy and Moncada could also turn out to be Betts/Harper level players. I'm not saying that all 3 will reach those heights, but they all have that level of talent.
Eloy has a far better chance to be Nelson Cruz than Mookie Betts. Eloy doesnít have the D, he isnít anywhere close to a 5 tool guy. Come on now......
Old 01-02-2020, 11:36 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Eloy has a far better chance to be Nelson Cruz than Mookie Betts. Eloy doesnít have the D, he isnít anywhere close to a 5 tool guy. Come on now......
Yeah but his hit tool may develop into one of the best in the game and if his power tool maxes out, look out below...

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 01-02-2020, 11:36 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Until the team becomes competitive, I look at these type on contracts as a means to rebuild in the future.
This team is already competitive and Iím all in on the moves they have been making!
Old 01-03-2020, 06:57 AM
WSI Church Elder

I've think that i have been waiting my entire life for this guy to come along . i love every aspect of the game, but center field has always held much more interest to me, having played there in high school and connie mack . all of the complaints about the White Sox front office aside, the team that they are apparently building right now, was made possible, partly by the team friendly contracts to the players that were traded away to begin the rebuild . i always love spring training because you have the whole year ahead of you, but this one will be very interesting to watch, and this season should be entertaining and exciting.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:33 AM
WSI Prelate

Iím very pleased that we have locked up Robert. Like others, Iíve desperately wanted the Sox to have that 5-tool CF, something weíve lacked for decades. I think four of the tools are sure things; his ability to make consistent solid contact and avoid striking out will determine how great he becomes. If he does hit for decent average, then he will also end up walking a fair amount as pitchers try to avoid throwing him strikes he can demolish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
Luis Robert: 2027
Eloy Jimenez: 2026
Dylan Cease: 2025
Tim Anderson: 2024
Michael Kopech: 2024
Lucas Giolito: 2023
Yoan Moncada: 2023
Letís work on Moncada next, and Giolito after that.

I hope eventually Robert and Madrigal are so good that they displace Anderson at the top of the lineup. However, Iím not sure itís the wisest course of action to rely on two rookies to handle the 1-2 spots in a year when we are supposedly competing.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 01-03-2020, 10:09 AM
WSI Prelate

Best move of the offseason. The player gets paid and the Sox get some assurance/stability and avoid service time manipulation (which would have been necessary).
Old 01-03-2020, 10:22 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
I didn't mean to imply he was a 5-tool guy, but the two tools he does have (bat and power) are strong enough that, if he his his ceiling, he'll have an overall impact in the same neighborhood as Harper (you're right that Betts could be a stretch).
Old 01-03-2020, 10:25 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
I didn't mean to imply he was a 5-tool guy, but the two tools he does have (bat and power) are strong enough that, if he his his ceiling, he'll have an overall impact in the same neighborhood as Harper (you're right that Betts could be a stretch).
Yep. If Eloy reaches his offensive potential he's going to the HOF walking and we'll be talking about him the way we talk about Frank Thomas. His bat is that good.
Old 01-03-2020, 10:45 AM
WSI Church Elder

Have to say that I'm really enjoying all the national love that my favorite team is getting on MLB Network.

Vasgersian this morning on Hot Stove jokingly referenced this as "White Sox Week" before their discussion of the Robert contract.

And apologies if this is a redundancy, but a co-worker and I were speculating as to the Sox' batting order once Madrigal is called up.

This was our guess:

1. Robert
2. Moncada
3. Abreu
4. Grandal
5. Eloy
6. Encarnacion
7. Anderson
8. Mazara
9. Madrigal

I know it's still six weeks before pitchers and catchers, but, man, is it great to hear a bulk of the talk on MLB Network centered around the Sox and their offseason.

Cannot wait for Opening Day.
Old 01-03-2020, 11:00 AM
WSI High Priest

I don't see Robert leading off to start the season. Maybe halfway through if he shows he can handle MLB pitching. But I don't see the org or Ricky throwing him to the wolves right away as that has not been the approach the last couple years with prospects.
Old 01-03-2020, 01:21 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

All I have to say is I am looking forward to going to Mister Robert's neighborhood this summer.

Old 01-03-2020, 02:15 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Yep. If Eloy reaches his offensive potential he's going to the HOF walking and we'll be talking about him the way we talk about Frank Thomas. His bat is that good.
If everything comes together, the offense of this team could be some real fun to watch with Jimenez, Robert, Moncada, Anderson, Grandal, Abreu, etc.

And don't count out Madrigal. If he's a "Nellie Fox" type, he could drive opposing pitchers crazy.

Last edited by longtimefan; 01-03-2020 at 02:54 PM.
Old 01-03-2020, 02:32 PM
WSI Personality

This was a great signing and ensures that Robert will be in the opening day lineup. No risk of him getting bored (and pissed) while wasting at bats in Charlotte for a few weeks.

I haven't been this excited for baseball in seemingly ages. Last year, I more or less ignored the record and focused on TA, Eloy, and Moncada. There really isn't an AB that I will tune out, 1-9. I'm even excited for Mazara who isn't yet a finished product.

Even MiLB will have some interesting players to follow.

Pitching will likely give us fits at times but there may be enough offensive firepower to overcome some early-season struggles from Cease, Kopech, Reynaldo, etc.
Old 01-03-2020, 02:37 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
I don't see Robert leading off to start the season. Maybe halfway through if he shows he can handle MLB pitching. But I don't see the org or Ricky throwing him to the wolves right away as that has not been the approach the last couple years with prospects.
I agree. Right or wrong, Ricky is likely to begin the season with L. Garcia leading off. Hopefully Robert will force the issue sooner rather than later.

2019 Sox Attendance Tracker: 9-6
All time Sox Attendance Tracker:

286-247
Old 01-03-2020, 03:52 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
I agree. Right or wrong, Ricky is likely to begin the season with L. Garcia leading off. Hopefully Robert will force the issue sooner rather than later.
Leary isnít going to be in the lineup on most nights. Itíll probably be TA more often than not.