White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2019, 09:05 PM
WSI Prelate

We shouldn’t have signed Manny Machado’s BFFs unless it was a guarantee he signed here. I was happy we made a strong offer to him, but we need to see the Sox committed to that level of FA spending in some area. Ex - get FA pitching talent like Cole. If not, this team is not likely to compete with JR as owner. We have some very good young talent but that won’t get it done on its own.
Old 09-15-2019, 10:07 PM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
McCann has certainly come back down to earth in the 2nd half. I'd still call him a good pick up, though. He shouldn't be counted on as a long-term answer, but he's been a good catcher for us this year and I'm glad we had him in 2019.

Saying Colome has had a dreadful 2nd half sounds like a stretch.

Is Margalus suggesting that the Sox are suppressing Robert in order to "goose up" the farm system rankings?
McCann is hitting .218/.271/.397 for the second half. That's pretty bad. I do wonder if the problem was that he was worn out in the first half. It seemed like he caught EVERY game for a period. I would not be opposed to see the Sox make an upgrade to catcher, like by signing Yasmani Grandal.

Colome has been pitching to the tune of a 3.38 ERA in the second half with a 1.596 WHIP. Hitters are also hitting .254/.354/.393 against him, which isn't terrible but it's not lights out either. The good thing about Colome's performance in the second half is his K/9 is up, but I'm not sure I'd pencil him in again as a lock down closer.

Go Sox!!!
Old 09-16-2019, 07:17 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
McCann is hitting .218/.271/.397 for the second half. That's pretty bad. I do wonder if the problem was that he was worn out in the first half. It seemed like he caught EVERY game for a period. I would not be opposed to see the Sox make an upgrade to catcher, like by signing Yasmani Grandal.

Colome has been pitching to the tune of a 3.38 ERA in the second half with a 1.596 WHIP. Hitters are also hitting .254/.354/.393 against him, which isn't terrible but it's not lights out either. The good thing about Colome's performance in the second half is his K/9 is up, but I'm not sure I'd pencil him in again as a lock down closer.
At least McCann’s power has been steady all year. A solid receiver who is decent at throwing out base-stealers, calls a good game, and has some pop in his bat is fine by me. Honestly, I would not mind if the team tried to go with a 3-year or 4-year offer instead of a 1-year file and trial.
Old 09-21-2019, 06:58 PM
WSI High Priest

In a move sure to make Sox fans on WSI jealous, the San Diego Padres fired their manager.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 09-28-2019, 03:33 PM
WSI Prelate

Four players who are on major league rosters (of playoff teams) for 1 year of Samardzija is a disaster. Rick Hahn called Samardzija "elite." - yes, that is the level of talent evaluation the Sox get out of the front office.
And that's not even considering Semien's 7.6 WAR this year of 3.9 last year....no good, I tell ya.
And the draft pick was used on a college reliever. On each side of this event, Hahn chose a clown-show over serious baseball work.

Sure, if this was the only goofball move, they could spin it. But it wasn't.

Last edited by Tragg; 09-28-2019 at 03:38 PM.
Old 09-28-2019, 04:35 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Four players who are on major league rosters (of playoff teams) for 1 year of Samardzija is a disaster. Rick Hahn called Samardzija "elite." - yes, that is the level of talent evaluation the Sox get out of the front office.
And that's not even considering Semien's 7.6 WAR this year of 3.9 last year....no good, I tell ya.
And the draft pick was used on a college reliever. On each side of this event, Hahn chose a clown-show over serious baseball work.

Sure, if this was the only goofball move, they could spin it. But it wasn't.
Semien has been the poster boy for WAR overrating players up until this year where he actually became a good hitter (still grossly overrated in terms of WAR, he's not a top 5 player in baseball ), before he was a .700 OPS guy. The Samardizja trade has pretty much no bearing on the rebuild. I would have cut/traded/DFA'd Semien years before his breakout this season. The other guys, I don't care about (oft injured pitcher and backup catcher).

The talent evaluation at the front office got the Sox: Giolito, Moncada, Anderson, Eloy, Robert, Cease, Kopech, Abreu, and McCann to name a few.

Stop constantly trolling about this trade.
Old 09-28-2019, 04:50 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
Semien has been the poster boy for WAR overrating players up until this year where he actually became a good hitter (still grossly overrated in terms of WAR, he's not a top 5 player in baseball ), before he was a .700 OPS guy. The Samardizja trade has pretty much no bearing on the rebuild. I would have cut/traded/DFA'd Semien years before his breakout this season. The other guys, I don't care about (oft injured pitcher and backup catcher).

The talent evaluation at the front office got the Sox: Giolito, Moncada, Anderson, Eloy, Robert, Cease, Kopech, Abreu, and McCann to name a few.

Stop constantly trolling about this trade.
As long as it's in this thread he's free to post about it to his heart's content. The reason it's put here is so it doesn't impact or hijack other threads.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 09-28-2019, 09:21 PM
WSI Prelate

Another disappointing aspect is that the Sox basically played their starters all September. One reserve might start each game, but that's about it. Yolmer in the lineup every game - if Yolmer's on this team next season then everything is about friends and family.
Consistently waste opportunities to develop.