Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 07:40 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Remember you're dealing with the ego's of the players AND the agents themselves. And these guys have some big ones. They want that record breaking deal, they want that 300 million and again, their ego's are still calling the shots here until reality sets in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
I think that is the far biggest thing in play here - the game of chicken between these 2 players.
Agreed on both counts. No need to jump to the "noboby wants to play for us" conclusion at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiersoxfan View Post
Wasn't Harper born and raised in Las Vegas?
Born in Vegas, went to HS in Vegas, played college ball in Vegas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Money shouldn't matter as we have a very small payroll. Neither guy is blocking a better option. And Alex Call...calling him a prospect is being very generous. His better scout grades were on the defense side (60 arm in some reports), but his hit grade is 45 and he has no power. He's a defensive sub/fourth outfielder.

If we don't sign Machado, and the plan is to be as bad as possible and get a high draft pick - then these guys hurt us. But we could also trade them at the deadline for a lot more than Alex Call back. I like these moves regardless of Machado.
This is spot on. The constant portrayal of the Alonso and Jay deals as some sort of disaster in the making for the Sox simply doesn't add up.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:05 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Born in Vegas, went to HS in Vegas, played college ball in Vegas.
In the off season he lives in Henderson NV which is basically a suburb of Vegas.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 02-11-2019, 08:28 PM
WSI Regular

Just read the current mlb.com article about the roster and reviewed the stats of the usual suspects. Maybe it's because I watched last season with no expectations or this horrid winter has ****ed with my memory but good god.

I forgot about about Tim Anderson's OBP. Under .300? Yolmer's OPS under .700?

I didn't forget about Engel.

I - like many of us - was just starting to lose my patience with "Manny Watch" but these numbers are sobering. This squad desperately needs a bonafied no-questions-asked difference maker to build around.

Signing him would be a suave for all of the injuries (Kopech, Burger, Burdi, Rodon) and disappointments (Giolioto, Anderson, Moncada) the rebuild has produced thus far.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:44 PM
WSI Regular

I'm going to get on a very quick soap box.

These people who say that nobody wants to play for the White Sox...

(I just spit on the floor for emphasis.)

I can think of several major league teams that nobody ought to ever feel a desire to play for. nooooo-body

This is all about money, and no, I don't think the SOX are cheap.

And another thing...

(I slammed my hand on the desk for emphasis and spit on the floor again.)

And with that I have gotten off the soap box in order to be truthful about it being a very quick one.

I'm going to Kathmandu
Old 02-11-2019, 09:30 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow6 View Post
Just read the current mlb.com article about the roster and reviewed the stats of the usual suspects. Maybe it's because I watched last season with no expectations or this horrid winter has ****ed with my memory but good god.

I forgot about about Tim Anderson's OBP. Under .300? Yolmer's OPS under .700?

I didn't forget about Engel.

I - like many of us - was just starting to lose my patience with "Manny Watch" but these numbers are sobering. This squad desperately needs a bonafied no-questions-asked difference maker to build around.

Signing him would be a suave for all of the injuries (Kopech, Burger, Burdi, Rodon) and disappointments (Giolioto, Anderson, Moncada) the rebuild has produced thus far.
Andersons ops was sub 700 as well. I give him props for his work on defense, and baserunning, but we need more.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:07 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxkid23 View Post
Andersons ops was sub 700 as well. I give him props for his work on defense, and baserunning, but we need more.
I agree, but we all need to realize the good things that Anderson has done. He is still only 25 and had 20 HR, 26 SB and a 2.9 WAR....and not much of a lineup threat around him either. I believe he is capable of more and with a better lineup around him. I think people expect too much too fast from these guys....

H2H1 Champion 2011, 2012
Dynasty Runner up 2012
Old 02-11-2019, 11:17 PM
WSI Prelate

Hector Gomez says the Yankees have not met the asking price Machado is looking for.

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:22 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws05champ View Post
I agree, but we all need to realize the good things that Anderson has done. He is still only 25 and had 20 HR, 26 SB and a 2.9 WAR....and not much of a lineup threat around him either. I believe he is capable of more and with a better lineup around him. I think people expect too much too fast from these guys....
Improved in every way, still has a ways to go in every way. Would you call him a plus defender yet? Just asking.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:53 AM
WSI Church Elder

FWIW, an article in the Tribune today said that an online sports betting site has the following odds on teams to sign Machado: Yankees, 1-2; San Diego, 4-1; White Sox 5-1.

Not sure what to make of that.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:10 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyWhiSoxFan
FWIW, an article in the Tribune today said that an online sports betting site has the following odds on teams to sign Machado: Yankees, 1-2; San Diego, 4-1; White Sox 5-1.

Not sure what to make of that.
Are those opening lines?
Old 02-12-2019, 07:25 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
Improved in every way, still has a ways to go in every way. Would you call him a plus defender yet? Just asking.
Of course not...he has the physical ability to be a plus defender, but he needs to be a lot more consistent in order to do so.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:30 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Are those opening lines?
I just went to the website cited in the Trib article and cannot find any reference to it providing a prop bet on who will sign Machado. The website is: BetOnline.ag

Maybe you need to be a client to get more prop odds than what it is showing, but the only odds it is listing for MLB is who will hit the most HRs (Carlos Stanton is +700; Aaron Judge is +1000; Bryce Harper tied for 7th at +2500; Jose Abreu +8000) and who will win the World Series (NY Yankees +700; Boston +750; Cubs +1200; White Sox +3300).

San Diego is +6600 if Machado is reading this.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:47 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
Another possibility: Machado knows the Sox offer isnít going away. They may have even told him so. In fact, they may have told them that they are willing to match other offers from other teams. So if Machado waits, he could get a higher offer from another team, that the Sox will then match or beat. So even if he wants to play for the Sox, he doesnít have much incentive to sign yet, as heís not going to lose anything by waiting.
This would explain the machado working out in sox gear & babies shoes with sox logos on them for his kid. He knows he is signing with the sox but is hoping it is more than the last offer be waiting for someone to raise the ante. But who knows.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:58 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zisk77 View Post
This would explain the machado working out in sox gear & babies shoes with sox logos on them for his kid. He knows he is signing with the sox but is hoping it is more than the last offer be waiting for someone to raise the ante. But who knows.
That wasn't Sox gear in the workout video. It was a hat with his logo that you can see on his Instagram.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:14 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

We are real close to 500 and ST is just a few days away so am closing this. Can someone please start two separate threads like FA/Manny watch thread and Spring training Thread?

Thanks and...

Closed.
Closed Thread