White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 06:49 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post
Ha ha! Yes, keep caring about style points. I'll concern myself with batting average and wins...Oh ****! I forgot wins by more than 10 runs count more than "ordinary" wins! Do I need to put that in teal....?
WHAT?!?!

Where in my post did you get the impression I was talking about style?

Let's try this again, but this time without the obvious sarcasm on my part.

Do YOU think in any given at bat "A soft lollipop bloop traveling at 60 MPH is just as likely to create a hit as a screaming line drive traveling 115 is (on a regular basis)?"

I mean consistently which would you rather have players produce?

Do you really see no difference between these two outcomes?

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 11-02-2018, 07:13 PM
WSI Guru

According to MLB.com these are the players who did NOT receive qualifying offers from their teams:

A's:*Jed Lowrie, 2B;*Jonathan Lucroy, C
Astros:*Charlie Morton, RHP;**Marwin Gonzalez, UTIL;*Evan Gattis, DH
Braves:*Nick Markakis, OF
Brewers:*Wade Miley, LHP
Cardinals:*Bud Norris, RHP
Cubs:*Justin Wilson, LHP
D-backs:*Daniel Descalso, INF
Giants:*Hunter Pence, OF
Indians:*Andrew Miller, LHP;*Michael Brantley, OF;*Cody Allen, RHP;*Lonnie Chisenhall, OF.*More >
Orioles:*Adam Jones, OF
Padres:*Freddy Galvis, SS
Rangers:*Adrian Beltre, 3B
Red Sox:*Joe Kelly, RHP
Rockies:*Adam Ottavino, RHP;*DJ LeMahieu, 2B,*Carlos Gonzalez, OF
Yankees:*CC Sabathia, LHP
Old 11-02-2018, 08:21 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL
Pete Rose, Mickey Mantle, Eddie Murray, Chpper Jones, Carlos Beltran, Roberto Alomar and more than a few other switch hitters might beg to differ with you. Not that I'm putting Moncada in their class but when we acquired him, the hype on him was more than a little over the top and he was going to be the greatest thing since sliced bread, not a strikeout machine. At this point in time I would trade Moncada for Realmuto in a New York minute. As someone mentioned earlier, it opens up 2B for Madrigal.
How about some non-Hall-of-Famers?
Old 11-02-2018, 08:38 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
WHAT?!?!

Where in my post did you get the impression I was talking about style?

Let's try this again, but this time without the obvious sarcasm on my part.

Do YOU think in any given at bat "A soft lollipop bloop traveling at 60 MPH is just as likely to create a hit as a screaming line drive traveling 115 is (on a regular basis)?"

I mean consistently which would you rather have players produce?

Do you really see no difference between these two outcomes?

Players have to produce by whatever means necessary so when I say a hit is a hit, if it's consistently a 60 MPH bloop then that is going to be beneficial to the team over time. I get what you are saying. I truly do, it just is frustrating to me that the game has become made so complicated. Unnecessarily so in my opinion.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:58 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post
Players have to produce by whatever means necessary so when I say a hit is a hit, if it's consistently a 60 MPH bloop then that is going to be beneficial to the team over time. I get what you are saying. I truly do, it just is frustrating to me that the game has become made so complicated. Unnecessarily so in my opinion.
Thank you. That's all I was trying to say. I don't know if it's gotten more complicated or actually simpler. Or as a guy we know used to say...

"Swing hard in case you hit it."
Old 11-02-2018, 09:09 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Francisco Lindor
Ozzie Albies
Asdrubal Cabrera
Victor Martinez
Ted Lowrie
Justin Smoak
etal
etal
etal
Old 11-02-2018, 09:16 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulwny
Francisco Lindor
Ozzie Albies
Asdrubal Cabrera
Victor Martinez
Ted Lowrie
Justin Smoak
etal
etal
etal
Some really good hitters on this list as well...

Yoan Moncada can still be a valuable player without hitting as well as Victor Martinez or Francisco Lindor.
Old 11-03-2018, 09:20 AM
WSI Personality

MLB Trade Rumors top 50 FA prediction list: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/...ions-2019.html

They predict 14 years/ $420 million for the Dodgers to get Harper.

No White Sox signings on this list. Other than Harper or Machado, I don't see them breaking the bank for anyone else. Though a 1 year for Josh Donaldson as a stop gap wouldn't be awful, but not at that $20 million pricetag. I'd only do it if I'm 100% confident he's healthy.
Old 11-03-2018, 09:41 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
That's a massive hometown discount!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
31 million a year, unbelievable. What would another team endow him with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
MLB Trade Rumors top 50 FA prediction list: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/...ions-2019.html

They predict 14 years/ $420 million for the Dodgers to get Harper.

No White Sox signings on this list. Other than Harper or Machado, I don't see them breaking the bank for anyone else. Though a 1 year for Josh Donaldson as a stop gap wouldn't be awful, but not at that $20 million pricetag. I'd only do it if I'm 100% confident he's healthy.
Id take Pollock at the 4/60 they predict in a heartbeat. If he stays healthy, hes an all star 5 tool center fielder and they can trade some of the prospects to address other needs.
Old 11-03-2018, 11:31 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post
Id take Pollock at the 4/60 they predict in a heartbeat. If he stays healthy, hes an all star 5 tool center fielder and they can trade some of the prospects to address other needs.
Except he can't stay healthy, and is on the wrong side of 30. Don't see the upside in that being the only move, especially when the Sox are loaded in OF depth coming up.
Old 11-03-2018, 12:20 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
OK......Ruben Sierra, Bobby Bonilla, Roy White, Chilli Davis, Willie McGee, Maury Wills, Jorge Posada, Ken Singleton, Ted Simmons and Bernie Williams.
Kenny Hendeson spent 3 years with the Sox from 73-75, 1974 was the only year he stayed healthy and he hit .292 with 20 homers and 95 RBI, he had some pretty good years with the Giants before he was traded to the Sox. Jose Valentin had some good power numbers with the Sox but had a few bad years with his batting average.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 11-03-2018 at 12:44 PM.
Old 11-03-2018, 12:52 PM
WSI Prelate

Naming lists of switch hitters does not negate the fact that switch hitters generally - not always, but often - take more time to refine their swings and approaches, because there are only so many hours in the day available to take batting practice, study video, etc., after also practicing fielding, working out, eating, sleeping, stretching, etc.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 11-03-2018, 01:30 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Naming lists of switch hitters does not negate the fact that switch hitters generally - not always, but often - take more time to refine their swings and approaches, because there are only so many hours in the day available to take batting practice, study video, etc., after also practicing fielding, working out, eating, sleeping, stretching, etc.
It comes down to players not spending enough time in the minors, that's where they should be refining their swings and approaches. Yoan Moncada never played AAA ball with the BoSox and played only 80 games at Charlotte before being called up last year. There are always exceptions to the rule with naturals like Mickey Mantle who spent very little time in the minors, he came up to the Majors at age 19 and never looked back. I always liked what the Sox did with guys like Bill Melton, Harold Baines, Magglio Ordonez and Carlos Lee, those guys spent 3-4 years in the minors going from A ball to AA and AAA, the way it should be done but just about isn't anymore.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 11-03-2018 at 01:54 PM.
Old 11-03-2018, 02:42 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
It comes down to players not spending enough time in the minors, that's where they should be refining their swings and approaches. Yoan Moncada never played AAA ball with the BoSox and played only 80 games at Charlotte before being called up last year. There are always exceptions to the rule with naturals like Mickey Mantle who spent very little time in the minors, he came up to the Majors at age 19 and never looked back. I always liked what the Sox did with guys like Bill Melton, Harold Baines, Magglio Ordonez and Carlos Lee, those guys spent 3-4 years in the minors going from A ball to AA and AAA, the way it should be done but just about isn't anymore.
Agreed, but that train has sailed with Moncada. He only now needs to learn how to hit major league pitching, and you cant do that against minor league pitchers.
Old 11-03-2018, 03:02 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL
Agreed. Yoan Moncada absolutely should have spent all of 2017 in the minors, and if were being honest, enough of 2018 to depress service time as well.
Closed Thread