GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2019, 08:15 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
I think it's because since he's been here he's never really worked with a play-by-play guy who is any good. When he was on TV, Hawk never asked him anything beyond "What do you think is the hardest uniformed position in baseball," so he could then defend Walker. On the radio, Farmer seems to be only interested in talking about various small towns in California or St. Rita. DJ HAS gotten good at figuring out when to interject though and make an observation with Farmer, something he never did with Hawk.
Farmer has gotten old, no doubt about it. Hell, I went to the same high school and I NEVER talk about it. Who cares what HS you went to 40+ years later?

And let's not forget his obsessions with Notre Dame and golf.

DJ might still be decent with the right partner.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:33 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
That's exactly it. Does anyone really think an employee of the team is going to respond to that comment with, "You're right. They suck. We need to get new radio guys in right now. Thanks for bringing it to my attention."? An employee of the White Sox is not going to publicly or privately bash other employees of the White Sox. I'm sorry if so many people hate the radio broadcast team (not saying I do or don't), but this has to be one of those things to file under "accept what I cannot change."
Yep. I accept, and choose not to listen. Therefore, for the moment, my outlet to have White Sox, is through the internet and for the last year WGN tv, until I re-do my TV subscriptions.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:57 AM
WSI Church Elder

The first time I listened to a sox radio broadcast was 1990, when I was away for college at SIUE. i found I could get the radio signal there. After having moved away from Chicago after 8th grade I was desperate to hear anything about the sox. Rooney & Hagen were just awesome describing the 1990 season.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:34 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
My sentiments exactly. Farmer would probably make a good color guy, but his PBP is atrocious. He sounds as if he doesn’t care.
It's like he doesn't want to get overly excited as maybe that would be un-cool.
I can't believe he's still in the booth, no way he helps the ratings.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 01-18-2019 at 05:54 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:36 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Its really tough to be a good announcer and interesting with a crap ass team and thats been going on for a long time. The only ones that could do it was Harry and Jimmy.
Yep.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:45 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxnut67 View Post
What about Wills?
I've been told by folks including Dave that he was in line for one of the positions. Many of the Sox front office were pushing to get approval and promote him from just doing the pre and post game shows...but JR would never say "yes."

Dave got tired of waiting and went to Tampa where he and his family are very happy.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:41 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
I've been told by folks including Dave that he was in line for one of the positions. Many of the Sox front office were pushing to get approval and promote him from just doing the pre and post game shows...but JR would never say "yes."

Dave got tired of waiting and went to Tampa where he and his family are very happy.
This has become another bash the owner thread.

Wills left after the 2004 season. Hawk and DJ were in the tv booth, Rooney and Farmer were entrenched on the radio side as the #1 rated MLB radio team as voted in 2003. Brian Dolgin took over the pre and post in 2005.

Hawk and DJ had been together since 2000; Rooney and Farmer since I believe '91 (whenever Wayne Hagin left officially).

What open position are you suggesting Wills was supposed to get before he left?
Old 01-18-2019, 08:51 PM
WSI High Priest

Farmer is good and I enjoy the team
2013 WSI Baseball H2H Champion
2018 WSI Dynasty Baseball Runner-Up
Old 01-18-2019, 09:32 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post

Wills left after the 2004 season. Hawk and DJ were in the tv booth, Rooney and Farmer were entrenched on the radio side as the #1 rated MLB radio team as voted in 2003. Brian Dolgin took over the pre and post in 2005.

Hawk and DJ had been together since 2000; Rooney and Farmer since I believe '91 (whenever Wayne Hagin left officially).

Brian:

I was answering the question. I can tell you this information came straight from Willis' mouth as well as some others.

Take it or leave it as you choose. Dave had apparently been waiting for some time on a position and folks in the organization wanted him to get one.

I'm not making bull**** up just to hear myself talk (or in this case type...LOL) I was SPECIFICALLY told those people could never get JR to say yes, so Dave started looking and found employment elsewhere.

I'm not "bashing" the owner. You didn't see me write if it was a good decision or not did you? Again I was answering the question that was put to me by the poster with the information that I had. Period. End of story.

Last edited by Lip Man 1; 01-18-2019 at 09:38 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:59 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Brian:

I was answering the question. I can tell you this information came straight from Willis' mouth as well as some others.

Take it or leave it as you choose. Dave had apparently been waiting for some time on a position and folks in the organization wanted him to get one.

I'm not making bull**** up just to hear myself talk (or in this case type...LOL) I was SPECIFICALLY told those people could never get JR to say yes, so Dave started looking and found employment elsewhere.

I'm not "bashing" the owner. You didn't see me write if it was a good decision or not did you? Again I was answering the question that was put to me by the poster with the information that I had. Period. End of story.
What?

What question were you answering?

The one where Soxnut said "What about Wills?"
Quote:
What about Wills?
Which was a reply to your post because you're the one who originally brought Dave Wills name up:

Quote:
So who was implying that he did?

Simply saying that JR has the final say (just ask Dave Wills) and that he likes both guys, both are part of the 'family" so anyone who is pining for a change isn't going to get it.
So I'm asking again what position was Sox front office staff advocating for Dave Wills to take that JR had final say so and said no? You said JR "never said yes". Who was he going to replace before the beginning of the 2004 season? This makes no sense.

As for not bashing the owner, it absolutely is bashing the owner. The context of your posts in this thread is implying that Reinsdorf is stubborn and makes poor personnel decisions. I'm saying this as a Rooney guy that was pissed that JR didn't try to open the checkbook and at least TRY to get Rooney to stay. But enough with the agenda.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:25 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:

Lip, thank you for the answer. I didn't take it as a bashing of JR. Oh if Dave Wills could have waited just a little longer. But who knew Rooney would seriously be leaving. Oh well. Good for Dave, too bad for us
Old 01-19-2019, 01:15 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
So I'm asking again what position was Sox front office staff advocating for Dave Wills to take that JR had final say so and said no? You said JR "never said yes". Who was he going to replace before the beginning of the 2004 season? This makes no sense.

As for not bashing the owner, it absolutely is bashing the owner. The context of your posts in this thread is implying that Reinsdorf is stubborn and makes poor personnel decisions. I'm saying this as a Rooney guy that was pissed that JR didn't try to open the checkbook and at least TRY to get Rooney to stay. But enough with the agenda.
To answer your first question I have no idea and nobody ever gave me a name he was going to replace AND it's possible they weren't going to replace anybody simply add Dave to the rotation which the Sox did in the late 70's / early 80's. As Joe McConnell told me, he never knew from game to game who he'd be working with or what former player was going to be in the booth with him.

Lorn Brown also told me and gave me the audio of the final home game for the Sox in 1977. During the broadcast Lorn talked about how a guy sitting right below the radio booth was asking him if he's let him broadcast an inning. Brown laughed then said that he'd fit right in with as many other people the Sox trotted out that year. I'll send you the audio if you want to listen to it yourself. Another assumption that Dave was going to replace somebody...maybe he was...and maybe he wasn't.

To the second point you are making another assumption. And you'd be dead wrong in this case. Period. You've known me well enough for long enough to know if I thought JR was wrong I'd say so. In this case I don't think it would have mattered much either way.

To repeat some in the organization wanted him promoted, Dave told me himself that those folks were advocating for him. He met with JR and they talked. JR wouldn't pull the trigger, Dave got tired of waiting and left.

End of story.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:19 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Lip, thank you for the answer. I didn't take it as a bashing of JR. Oh if Dave Wills could have waited just a little longer. But who knew Rooney would seriously be leaving. Oh well. Good for Dave, too bad for us
Sox: No problem. I wasn't bashing JR in this case despite what some may claim. When I want to bash the guy I'll come out and do it openly. I know what my intentions were.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:51 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

I was thinking the same thing.

Actually, I never really liked Wills as either a play-by-play man or a color man. He is a radio man and Sox fans felt comfortable with him on the postgame. I've always thought more highly of Jackson than Wills. Willswould probably be better than Farmer with play-by-play, but that isn't exactly a high bar.

A lot of teams have poor announcers if you're being objective about it. The Giants have great announcing and the difference between the Giants and the A's is extreme. Yet A's fans are faithful to their announcers. Santo was an embarrassment on Cubs radio, yet there were a lot of Cubs fans who loved him. Even if they don't show up in this forum, I trust there are White Sox fans who like Farmer even though Rooney was such a tough act to follow.

Rooney was simply a great baseball announcer. Too often in White Sox broadcasting, there have been ego issues with other announcers, and it has affected the work of the people they have worked with. Farmer might have the destructive ego Harry Caray or even Harrelson, but he was never as good as they were when they were at their best either.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:07 AM
WSI Guru

IF Dave was going to replace anybody, I'd guess it would have been DJ with Hawk moving back to the role he had with Drysdale. Analyst with two or so innings of play by play for each game. And Hawk was excellent in that role if you watched the games back then (or have tapes of those games today)

The other option might have been that the Sox knew Rooney was getting ready to leave for various reasons and were wanting Dave to start working in a three man radio booth eventually to slide into John's spot when he left.

All guesses on my part, as I said no one ever gave me a specific name.