White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2019, 12:46 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default Miller Park to be renamed

Kind of a bummer. Miller and the Brewers seemed like such a natural tie in.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...122-story.html
Old 01-22-2019, 12:55 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyPretzel View Post
Kind of a bummer. Miller and the Brewers seemed like such a natural tie in.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...122-story.html
This is a travesty! An embarrassment! The worst thing ever to happen to our sacred game!! How can *ugh* you people *pee-yew* root for such a team?? Aren’t you ashamed?? Don’t you want to die of humiliation?? What few of you are left that is. Snicker Snicker. I made a funny. That joke makes me feel warm and tingly.

Oh. Wait. It isn’t the White Sox that are doing this?

It’s all good. Never mind.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:46 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyJohn View Post
This is a travesty! An embarrassment! The worst thing ever to happen to our sacred game!! How can *ugh* you people *pee-yew* root for such a team?? Arenít you ashamed?? Donít you want to die of humiliation?? What few of you are left that is. Snicker Snicker. I made a funny. That joke makes me feel warm and tingly.

Oh. Wait. It isnít the White Sox that are doing this?

Itís all good. Never mind.
Given the Brewers are one of the best teams in baseball I don't think their fans even care.

The White Sox were a much different story and the fact that the company refused to honor the Sox request to change their corporate logo (arrow pointing down) given the Sox decade of being basically bad, compounded the situation.

You make it out to be a joke. To many Sox fans it wasn't, it was another embarrassing situation.

Winning solves many issues. Had the Sox been winning, most fans like Milwaukee's wouldn't even have cared.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:19 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Given the Brewers are one of the best teams in baseball I don't think their fans even care.

You make it out to be a joke. To many Sox fans it wasn't, it was another embarrassing situation.

Winning solves many issues. Had the Sox been winning, most fans like Milwaukee's wouldn't even have cared.
To me the over the top reactions of some were a joke.

And you say winning solves many issues. Does it really? The Sox won in 2005, did it solve anything? The team was ridiculed for the low Series ratings, media members openly rooted against them in 2005 and 2006, we still had to endure cracks about attendance. The White Sox will be ridiculed no matter what they do. So why not make it into a big joke?
Old 01-22-2019, 03:11 PM
WSI High Priest

If we all live long enough Unilever will make some team an offer to good to turn down and we'll wind up with Vaseline Field.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:29 PM
WSI Church Elder

Whatever they call it, Miller Park is still a damn good place to watch baseball at least once a summer. Getting out of the parking lot can be a pain, but otherwise, I'm a big fan of the venue and team. Just beat the Cubs' ass and we're good.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:38 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
To me the over the top reactions of some were a joke.

And you say winning solves many issues. Does it really? The Sox won in 2005, did it solve anything? The team was ridiculed for the low Series ratings, media members openly rooted against them in 2005 and 2006, we still had to endure cracks about attendance. The White Sox will be ridiculed no matter what they do. So why not make it into a big joke?
The only thing that matters in my opinion is the perception of the Sox in their home market and among the fan base. Everything else is inconsequential, especially the opinion of the national media.

AND I'd add that if the Sox could say make the playoffs in four of five years or six of eight, even that will change.

Consistent winning solves the attendance issues, winning solves the advertising / marketing issues, winning solves the local TV ratings.

But you have to win...that's the rub as Shakespeare wrote.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:57 PM
WSI High Priest

I lived in Milwaukee for about 5 years- lots of friends who are big fans- they are NOT happy about this change- some corporate brands sound OK when connected to a stadium (i.e. Miller Park, United Center, etc.) and some sound kind of ridiculous (Guaranteed Rate, American Family Insurance, etc.)- so it goes.
Anderson, Giolito, Lopez, Moncada
Old 01-22-2019, 06:08 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteorsSox4367 View Post
Whatever they call it, Miller Park is still a damn good place to watch baseball at least once a summer. Getting out of the parking lot can be a pain, but otherwise, I'm a big fan of the venue and team. Just beat the Cubs' ass and we're good.
Damned pity there's no professional sports teams in Kentucky. Seems KY field would be a natural fit...

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 01-23-2019, 11:31 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
If we all live long enough Unilever will make some team an offer to good to turn down and we'll wind up with Vaseline Field.
Imagine all the Stone Temple Pilots jokes
04-04-2005, 04:03 PM
I was a doubter, but maybe, just maybe we can win with pitching, defense and fundamentals.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:07 PM
WSI Regular

If they insist on calling the place "American Family Park" with plenty of "American Family Insurance" signage displayed in the park... that's really not too bad. What patriotic baseball loving family would complain about going to see a game at American Family Park? (I mean other than the small detail of who is playing?)

I'm going to Kathmandu
Old 01-23-2019, 01:28 PM
WSI Church Elder

The amount of money American Family put up for the new name was much, much higher than Miller paid for the last 20 years. It was a no brainer for the Brewers. Money talks and Miller walks.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:23 AM
WSI Prelate

....and AT&T Park in San Francisco is being renamed Oracle Park
https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/01/...o-oracle-park/

....and the Raiders might play there for the 2019 season.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...acle-park-2019

Quote:
This is a travesty! An embarrassment! The worst thing ever to happen to our sacred game!! How can *ugh* you people *pee-yew* root for such a team?? Arenít you ashamed?? Donít you want to die of humiliation?? What few of you are left that is. Snicker Snicker. I made a funny. That joke makes me feel warm and tingly.

Oh. Wait. It isnít the White Sox that are doing this?

Itís all good. Never mind.

Yeah, who could forget the "U.S. Sell-Your-Soul Field" outrage in the media when the Sox made a naming rights deal that resulted in significant upgrades to the ballpark.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:51 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Oracle keeping their name on a sports building now that the Warriors are abandoning the arena for a new venue.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:45 AM
WSI Prelate

So, MLB will now have an Oriole Park and an Oracle Park.