GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2019, 01:23 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Just like movie theaters with less seats but more comfortable and reclining chairs and in-seat food service. People want comfort and amenities over inexpensive seating options.

All live entertainment options are under increasing stress from large UHD and better televisions and the comfort of watching from home.
Does the ballpark maintenance crew remove and store these seats during the off-season? I can't image they would want 6" of snow and ice sitting on them.
Old 01-28-2019, 02:43 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Just like movie theaters with less seats but more comfortable and reclining chairs and in-seat food service. People want comfort and amenities over inexpensive seating options.

All live entertainment options are under increasing stress from large UHD and better televisions and the comfort of watching from home.
MLB is realizing that it's hard to fill ballparks for 81 regular season games. Even teams in the top 10 in attendance each year are playing at 85%-90% capacity on average.

What is concerning for the Sox is that even these new premiere seating areas are not filling up for most games. I see plenty empty scout seats and suites each and every night.
Old 01-28-2019, 02:48 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
MLB is realizing that it's hard to fill ballparks for 81 regular season games. Even teams in the top 10 in attendance each year are playing at 85%-90% capacity on average.

What is concerning for the Sox is that even these new premiere seating areas are not filling up for most games. I see plenty empty scout seats and suites each and every night.
Well they've sucked big time for several years. Would you be willing to pay premium prices to see the team lose 100 games these days? I imagine most people are buying on the secondhand ticket market these days if they want to go to a game.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 01-28-2019, 07:18 PM
WSI Personality

Ballparks are becoming more of an experience where there's a baseball game being played there instead of going to a ballpark to watch a game.

For me, just give me a seat, a polish sausage with grilled onions, and preferably a Miller Genuine Draft but I'll settle for another beer.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:53 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdog1017 View Post
Ballparks are becoming more of an experience where there's a baseball game being played there instead of going to a ballpark to watch a game.
Funny that you should say that. I was just thinking today about the Hubert H Humphrey Metrodome. I saw numerous games there back in the day. And I can't say much good about the facility. But you know, I still got to see a Major League Baseball game, every time I went (and the SOX came to the twin cities enough that I got to even see my favorite team more than once).

I'm going to Kathmandu
Old 01-29-2019, 01:12 AM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church Turtle View Post
Funny that you should say that. I was just thinking today about the Hubert H Humphrey Metrodome. I saw numerous games there back in the day. And I can't say much good about the facility. But you know, I still got to see a Major League Baseball game, every time I went (and the SOX came to the twin cities enough that I got to even see my favorite team more than once).
It was like watching a game in an airplane hangar. Just awful.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 01-29-2019, 02:08 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
I felt like I was watching a game in a spaceship. That roof tried to scream "the future" even though it really didn't.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:35 AM
WSI Personality

How long before a drunk turns those tubs down the sides and back of the "Island" into a urinal?
Old 01-29-2019, 10:57 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleHoser View Post
How long before a drunk turns those tubs down the sides and back of the "Island" into a urinal?
At those prices, not likely to happen and if it does they'll just get locked up for a while. In fact they would get locked up for more than just one night because exposing yourself at a public ballpark is indecent exposure and it's viewed as a sex crime.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:03 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post

But I can't think of any other sport I'd be as happy to watch, even in an airplane hangar.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:52 AM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church Turtle View Post
But I can't think of any other sport I'd be as happy to watch, even in an airplane hangar.
But now, the new Target Field is a really nice place to watch baseball.
Old 01-31-2019, 04:08 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdog1017 View Post
The game has become secondary. With wi-fi, finger food, kiddie activities and a bar the ballpark figures to become some twisted hybrid of an outdoor Old Chicago or Riverview.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 01-31-2019, 07:55 AM
WSI High Priest

And TVs getting bigger and cheaper is just one way the TV product is improving. I honestly think that the quality of announcing is going to improve big time over the next few years. Look at how popular Tony Romo is right now as an NFL color guy, there is going to be a demand for more people like him. Word is out that the fans are actually smart and can handle smart analysis. Watching the game on TV is going to continue to be more and more attractive. Yeah, you won't be there with thousands of other fans to share the moment, but in terms of being able to see everything in hi-def, being able to see every close play again in slow-motion, and getting real time, high quality analysis of what is going on, the TV product just keeps getting better.

What can the ballpark offer that my living room can't? It's gonna have to be stuff like awesome food, luxurious seats, personal attention from staff, etc. Also things like fireworks, awesome video and sound production, etc. Frankly, if I owned the Sox, I would use the current rebuilding effort as an excuse to focus on improving the in-game experience. That's one thing ownership has 100% control over right now, they can't control how well the prospects develop, but they could be doing more to make the stadium experience awesome in ways that don't rely on on-the-field production.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 01-31-2019, 08:46 AM
WSI Church Elder

I want to see more data. The pitch speed was added to most all ballparks many moons ago, because that was a stat that becoming more popular. Exit velocity, etc are the stats now that are most popular.

I want to see the exit velocity and all the new statistics somewhere on the secondary score board.

Slow motion highlights of previous plays on that board in RF should be a must. They can scroll the other game scores at the bottom and in between innings can use that board to populate the out of town scores in full view.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:41 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
What can the ballpark offer that my living room can't?
The human experience.