Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 10:24 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOX ADDICT '73 View Post
Or why his hat and shoe sizes increased - as an adult. The guy was beginning to mutate, for crying out loud...
Why do you think they advertise Wheeties as the athletes cereal? Only REAL geniuses are in on the Wheeties.

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:54 PM
WSI Guru

Really now, how does a White Sox offseason thread get hijacked by a Barry Bonds discussion?
Old 01-28-2019, 11:28 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
Really now, how does a White Sox offseason thread get hijacked by a Barry Bonds discussion?
It’s 5 posts. Get over it.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 01-29-2019, 04:07 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Yeah, pretty widely accepted Bonds was jacking PED into his body at a ridiculous rate. Seems like an odd example to use.
Players will search for any advantage. If an older player is throwing up ridiculous numbers they'll get paid.

Sorry voodoo I replied to your BB reply. BB raised in terms of length/dollar discussion. Tangential rants are not on me.

The point is that players will get paid big money if they produce. Length of term may be trimmed but they'll get paid. Done with BB...
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004

Last edited by Grzegorz; 01-29-2019 at 04:11 AM. Reason: answer to the BB subject
Old 01-29-2019, 04:17 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
Likely, those other three players will not be as consistent or will begin to stagger off as time goes on. Manny, on the other hand, is a guaranteed 6 to 8 WAR player for the next six to eight years, barring injury. So, yes, you always sign a bat like his.

Money may be guaranteed, but a guarantee in terms of player effort is folly.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:16 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
Money may be guaranteed, but a guarantee in terms of player effort is folly.
My point remains the same. There is a higher likelihood a player like Machado holds a higher value over a six to eight year period than a group of three people signed for 30 million dollars
Old 01-29-2019, 07:50 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Players will search for any advantage. If an older player is throwing up ridiculous numbers they'll get paid.

Sorry voodoo I replied to your BB reply. BB raised in terms of length/dollar discussion. Tangential rants are not on me.

The point is that players will get paid big money if they produce. Length of term may be trimmed but they'll get paid. Done with BB..
But this offseason is showing that this is not necessarily true. If it was true then there would be a bidding war amongst many teams for Machado and Harper. But that isn't happening and seemingly only 3-4 teams are in on these guys. Which is ridiculous because every team could afford one if not both of these guys but the owners don't seem to be interested in handing out contracts where guys make $30 million + per year.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:56 AM
WSI High Priest

FWLIW, some reports coming out that Harper to Phils is imminent and they’ve agreed on terms

Edit: https://twitter.com/philliedelphia/s...513098241?s=21
Old 01-29-2019, 08:27 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:

The point is that players will get paid big money if they produce. Length of term may be trimmed but they'll get paid. Done with BB...
While I agree with you that players who produce will get paid, my point was that players are less likely to produce after 33 now that PED are being tested for and owners are obviously not as interested in contracts that go past that age. I don't think it's any shock that so far the longest contract suggested for Machado is 7 years which means it ends when he turns 34 during the season.

Of course now there are rumors that Harper is about to sign so we will see what's up with that deal and it will give us more information about contract length and dollars.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:29 AM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight #24 View Post
FWLIW, some reports coming out that Harper to Phils is imminent and they’ve agreed on terms

I am stunned he would sign before Machado.

Go Sox!!!
Old 01-29-2019, 08:51 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight #24 View Post

Read the article- it's literally fake news: https://twitter.com/martinonyc/statu...56023980515329
Old 01-29-2019, 09:03 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
While I agree with you that players who produce will get paid, my point was that players are less likely to produce after 33 now that PED are being tested for and owners are obviously not as interested in contracts that go past that age. I don't think it's any shock that so far the longest contract suggested for Machado is 7 years which means it ends when he turns 34 during the season.

Of course now there are rumors that Harper is about to sign so we will see what's up with that deal and it will give us more information about contract length and dollars.

Thanks, I find it hilarious that some here want to set the market on contracts rather than having market discovery work itself out.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:10 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I find it hilarious that some here want to set the market on contracts rather than having market discovery work itself out.
Respectfully, you have it backwards.

I find it hilarious that fans worry about billionaires spending their money on the games best players -- and in this case it's TWO generational talents in Machado and Harper who would instantly make the White Sox the center of the baseball universe.

Don't aim low, aim high.

“I feel like J. Robert Oppenheimer having invented the atomic bomb. I mean, look what I’ve unleashed on the world.”

-- Daniel Okrent, founder of Rotisserie Baseball
Old 01-29-2019, 09:58 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
I am stunned he would sign before Machado.
This is not true, at all, but it would be massive news for the Sox if it was.

Likely makes the fight between the Sox and Padres for Manny's services, and there is no excuse for the Sox there.

That is the ideal scenario.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:00 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Racehorse View Post
Respectfully, you have it backwards.

I find it hilarious that fans worry about billionaires spending their money on the games best players -- and in this case it's TWO generational talents in Machado and Harper who would instantly make the White Sox the center of the baseball universe.

Don't aim low, aim high.
I tend to agree with you, even though I am okay with the Sox only signing Machado this summer. I am past the point of feeling bad for Jerry or any owner of a professional franchise. Especially one that has had the privilege of owning two profitable franchises for four decades.
Closed Thread