White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2019, 11:38 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
Wait. So you think the Phillies would rather Wheeler have a FIP of 3.50 and an ERA of 4.00 over the next 5 seasons. Than him have a FIP of 4.00 and an ERA of 3.50??
Of course they would rather he outperform his FIP than underperform it. If you are arguing what is more important to the Phillies in actual results in 2020 and beyond, you are correct. If you are arguing Wheeler's value and predictor of future results rests more on his past ERA than his FIP and other related metrics, I vehemently disagree.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 12-05-2019, 11:47 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
It is very hard having these exchanges with you when you are constantly changing narrative, moving goal posts, ignoring overall points, etc.

I think FIP is a fine indicator of how a pitcher is pitching during a season. But I'm not even talking about that.

So bullpens all of a sudden are the culprit for differences in ERA and FIP?

Do you actually believe that the deGrom extension and it's value relative to his age and abilities/results are in a vacuum stuck in time on March 27, 2019? 8 months ago... And have literally nothing to do with another pitcher of a similar age, high end potential, same term, minimal to no inflation occurring, etc? You think teams when they are spending over a hundred million dollars just make up these contract numbers?
As I mentioned previously, FIP and xFIP are calculations of pitching that use earned run average, ballpark effects, managerial decisions, bullpen success with inherited runners, and luck into account. Bullpens have a very strong effect on the difference between ERA and FIP. ERA doesn't take bullpen success rate with inherited runners in to account at all. In fact, ERA is only effected by a bad bullpen and not at all effected by a good one.

You keep saying you understand FIP but then you say things like I'm moving the goalposts when I explain to you why ERA and FIP are different. I don't think you understand FIP...

On DeGrom...I think players take a lot less money when they are signing extensions, and even less than that when they're not even a free agent.

Last edited by blandman; 12-05-2019 at 11:53 AM.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:59 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

I don't give a FIP about this (Sorry, could not resist).

Old 12-05-2019, 12:12 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
I don't give a FIP about this (Sorry, could not resist).
I agree can ya'll take this discussion back to the Hot Stove thread or make a new one in the TB forum? This is a thread for people to discuss Sox off season moves, not to get your stats freak groove on...

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 12-05-2019, 01:10 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Of course they would rather he outperform his FIP than underperform it. If you are arguing what is more important to the Phillies in actual results in 2020 and beyond, you are correct. If you are arguing Wheeler's value and predictor of future results rests more on his past ERA than his FIP and other related metrics, I vehemently disagree.
We are on the same page.
Old 12-05-2019, 01:21 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
As I mentioned previously, FIP and xFIP are calculations of pitching that use earned run average, ballpark effects, managerial decisions, bullpen success with inherited runners, and luck into account. Bullpens have a very strong effect on the difference between ERA and FIP. ERA doesn't take bullpen success rate with inherited runners in to account at all. In fact, ERA is only effected by a bad bullpen and not at all effected by a good one.

You keep saying you understand FIP but then you say things like I'm moving the goalposts when I explain to you why ERA and FIP are different. I don't think you understand FIP...

On DeGrom...I think players take a lot less money when they are signing extensions, and even less than that when they're not even a free agent.
"Moving the goal posts" are in reference to interactions lately and in general with you. Most recently you talking about how Cole Hamels was bad in the 3rd and 4th innings, and that everything that happened afterwards was not significant. You then flipped to anything after the 6th inning is insignificant after I pointed out he was very good from the 5th-8th innings last year. Stuff like that.

The FIP convo falls under the "ignoring overall points" category. From the beginning I was not trying to have an ERA vs FIP conversation. Only that Wheeler with his new contract moving forward better actually give up the amount of runs relative to how well his FIP says he pitched last year.

I did make the mistake of opening the can of worms that is of daring to question FIP, and pointing out that there are indeed certain aspects that are "luck" similar to how ERA does.

Regarding extensions: Arenado, Stanton, Trout, Sale, are just a few examples of high caliber players getting fair market deals no where near taking "a lot less".
Old 12-05-2019, 01:23 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
I agree can ya'll take this discussion back to the Hot Stove thread or make a new one in the TB forum? This is a thread for people to discuss Sox off season moves, not to get your stats freak groove on...
Never meant for my post(s) to be taken out of context, just trying to clarify.

But yes, we should carry on with Sox offseason moves...
Old 12-06-2019, 03:24 PM
WSI Church Elder

Sox pick up Tayron Guerrero from the Marlins.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...-guerrero.html
Old 12-06-2019, 03:28 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Sox pick up Tayron Guerrero from the Marlins.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...-guerrero.html
Lights up the radar gun, but below average spin. Sounds like Reynaldo Lopez, but without starter's durability.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:02 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Lights up the radar gun, but below average spin. Sounds like Reynaldo Lopez, but without starter's durability.
Coop can FIP him.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:53 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Coop can FIP him.
Speaking of Coop, he hasn't FIPped or WARred or fixed anybody in ages.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:03 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Coop can FIP him.
Coop hasnít fixed anyone lately! On some of the camera shots into the dugout it looks like heís half asleep!
Old 12-06-2019, 07:58 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Speaking of Coop, he hasn't FIPped or WARred or fixed anybody in ages.
I been thinking for a while that it's time for Coop to retire. We need new life blood.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:09 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
I been thinking for a while that it's time for Coop to retire. We need new life blood.
Absolutely.

Personally, I want everyone gone, with the exception of Joe McEwing, who I want to become the next manager.

Any putrid stretches like the 12-26 stretch this team had from the middle of June to the beginning of August should result in midseason termination of Renteria.
Old 12-07-2019, 01:05 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
We've got two of these already! Thyago Vieira and Jose Ruiz. Hopefully this guy is better.

2020 Sox Attendance Tracker: 0-0
All time Sox Attendance Tracker:

286-247
Closed Thread