White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #121  
Old 12-09-2019, 05:29 PM
Noneck Noneck is offline
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nw Side
Posts: 11,171
Default

Im glad thats not coming our way.
  #122  
Old 12-09-2019, 05:30 PM
DaveIsHere DaveIsHere is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Joliet,IL
Posts: 4,209
Default

Levine claims Sox AND Cubs have interest in Castellanos and Keuchel....could only imagine the mess if one picked the Blue asshats over us if we both had offers on the table.....
__________________
  #123  
Old 12-09-2019, 05:38 PM
Mohoney Mohoney is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Palos Hills, IL
Posts: 13,247
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveIsHere View Post
Levine claims Sox AND Cubs have interest in Castellanos and Keuchel....could only imagine the mess if one picked the Blue asshats over us if we both had offers on the table.....
The Cubs said they are flat broke for 2020 free agency.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsemaster Fred
This is the major leagues so get it how you live and letís fight tomorrow.
  #124  
Old 12-09-2019, 07:13 PM
voodoochile's Avatar
voodoochile voodoochile is offline
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 59,539
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Moved a bunch of posts in this thread to the Hot Stove thread. Go look there if you want to continue to discuss that topic. I came close to flat roadhousing the whole stack of posts, but figured why add another thread on the same topic.
__________________

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
  #125  
Old 12-10-2019, 01:31 PM
doctorlecter's Avatar
doctorlecter doctorlecter is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Beverly
Posts: 297
Default

Rumors of a "mystery team" making a push for Cole. At this point, for what we'd have to pay for plan B anyways, screw it. I hope it's us. We'd have to blow people out of the water (8yrs/320m). If you have to spend 25m on Ryu or Bumgarner, I'd rather spend 40m per on Cole.
  #126  
Old 12-10-2019, 01:56 PM
DumpJerry's Avatar
DumpJerry DumpJerry is offline
Tom Feargal Hagen
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The hearts and minds of Sox fans on 10-26-05
Posts: 28,559
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorlecter View Post
Rumors of a "mystery team" making a push for Cole. At this point, for what we'd have to pay for plan B anyways, screw it. I hope it's us. We'd have to blow people out of the water (8yrs/320m). If you have to spend 25m on Ryu or Bumgarner, I'd rather spend 40m per on Cole.
In the out years, that 40M will be a bargain.
__________________


2020....2020.....2020....2020....2020.....
  #127  
Old 12-10-2019, 02:03 PM
JohnTucker0814 JohnTucker0814 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Davenport, Iowa
Posts: 4,904
Default

Here is what could potentially happen, with the Sox kind of getting pushed out of the mix for Wheeler and not in on Stras/Cole... I would actually go for this.

1. Sign Bumgarner/Ryu to an overpriced deal... going to have to over pay for a veteran arm that we badly need
2. Make the below trade with the Yankees:
Giancarlo Stanton
J.A. Happ
for
Blake Rutherford (or OF prospect not named Steele Walker)
lower level pitching prospect
mid-tier RP

Here is what is owed to Stanton (8 yrs/ $205M) - The Marlins will owe $30M of that contract if Stanton doesn't opt out, which he won't, so now it's 8/175. The Yankees have to send 75M in the deal. That leaves us with 8/$100, or 12.5/year for a potential big power bat. He can play RF if healthy.

This would leave us with the following rotation:
1. Giolito
2. Bumgarner/Ryu
3. Cease
4. Lopez
5. Happ
6. Kopech (taking over for anyone injured or not doing well)

1. Anderson
2. Robert
3. Abreu
4. Moncada
5. Jiminez
6. Grandal
7. Stanton
8. DH
9. Madrigal

Added budget for the next 4 years:

Grandal 18.25
Stanton 12.5
Abreu 16.6
Bum/Ryu 17-20

67.35 - We wouldn't even eclipse 100M - shoot give Cole $40/M and it's only 87M added to the payroll, plenty of room to sign Moncada and Kopech to long term deals in 3-4 years.
  #128  
Old 12-10-2019, 02:11 PM
Flight #24 Flight #24 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 9,443
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTucker0814 View Post
2. Make the below trade with the Yankees:
Giancarlo Stanton
J.A. Happ
for
Blake Rutherford (or OF prospect not named Steele Walker)
lower level pitching prospect
mid-tier RP

Here is what is owed to Stanton (8 yrs/ $205M) - The Marlins will owe $30M of that contract if Stanton doesn't opt out, which he won't, so now it's 8/175. The Yankees have to send 75M in the deal. That leaves us with 8/$100, or 12.5/year for a potential big power bat. He can play RF if healthy.
Yanks have had Stanton basically for a year, I don't see them trading him to dump salary. He's a premier bat who had an injured year but the prior 2 played ~160 games each. I'd love that deal, but I absolutely cannot see it happening let along happening and they send cash.
__________________
"You don't quit. You don't go home before it's time. You don't come out of a game, even if you are in pain and feel as if you can't go one more step"
"Never give up, Never, never, never give up."
- Luther Head after Elite 8 win v. Arizona
  #129  
Old 12-10-2019, 02:23 PM
longtimefan longtimefan is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 175
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorlecter View Post
Rumors of a "mystery team" making a push for Cole. At this point, for what we'd have to pay for plan B anyways, screw it. I hope it's us. We'd have to blow people out of the water (8yrs/320m). If you have to spend 25m on Ryu or Bumgarner, I'd rather spend 40m per on Cole.
Unless JR is no longer the owner, I don't believe the Sox will go 8 years on a pitcher.
  #130  
Old 12-10-2019, 04:07 PM
Mohoney Mohoney is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Palos Hills, IL
Posts: 13,247
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTucker0814 View Post
Here is what could potentially happen, with the Sox kind of getting pushed out of the mix for Wheeler and not in on Stras/Cole... I would actually go for this.

1. Sign Bumgarner/Ryu to an overpriced deal... going to have to over pay for a veteran arm that we badly need
2. Make the below trade with the Yankees:
Giancarlo Stanton
J.A. Happ
for
Blake Rutherford (or OF prospect not named Steele Walker)
lower level pitching prospect
mid-tier RP

Here is what is owed to Stanton (8 yrs/ $205M) - The Marlins will owe $30M of that contract if Stanton doesn't opt out, which he won't, so now it's 8/175. The Yankees have to send 75M in the deal. That leaves us with 8/$100, or 12.5/year for a potential big power bat. He can play RF if healthy.

This would leave us with the following rotation:
1. Giolito
2. Bumgarner/Ryu
3. Cease
4. Lopez
5. Happ
6. Kopech (taking over for anyone injured or not doing well)

1. Anderson
2. Robert
3. Abreu
4. Moncada
5. Jiminez
6. Grandal
7. Stanton
8. DH
9. Madrigal

Added budget for the next 4 years:

Grandal 18.25
Stanton 12.5
Abreu 16.6
Bum/Ryu 17-20

67.35 - We wouldn't even eclipse 100M - shoot give Cole $40/M and it's only 87M added to the payroll, plenty of room to sign Moncada and Kopech to long term deals in 3-4 years.
That package doesnít even land you a full-priced Stanton, let alone a heavily discounted one.

I wonder if the Yankees are allowed to trade Jacoby Ellsburyís dead-but-insured money.

Happ, Ellsbury, Frazier, Florial for 4 nobodies and the maximum allowable transfer of bonus pool money for the next 3-5 years.

The Yankees need Ellsburyís luxury tax number moved. The White Sox donít care about the luxury tax number, just the real dollar expenditure, which would only be a little under $6 million after insurance. Happís contract would be the only real turd in the punchbowl here.

Flip Frazier for something more in tune with what we need, namely pitching.
  #131  
Old 12-10-2019, 04:25 PM
doctorlecter's Avatar
doctorlecter doctorlecter is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Beverly
Posts: 297
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
Unless JR is no longer the owner, I don't believe the Sox will go 8 years on a pitcher.
I never thought I'd see it either, but I believe that Hahn could convince him.
  #132  
Old 12-10-2019, 11:08 PM
doctorlecter's Avatar
doctorlecter doctorlecter is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Beverly
Posts: 297
Default

So much for my Cole pipedream. Yanks, 9/324.
  #133  
Old 12-10-2019, 11:10 PM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 23,381
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorlecter View Post
So much for my Cole pipedream. Yanks, 9/324.
Well, no one was beating that.
__________________
Ridiculousness across all sports:

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
  #134  
Old 12-10-2019, 11:55 PM
BRDSR BRDSR is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Japan
Posts: 2,046
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Well, no one was beating that.
Nor should the Sox have.

Donít know specifically what heís slated to be paid in 2026-28, but it canít possibly be palatable to any franchise other than the Yankees. So be it.
  #135  
Old 12-11-2019, 12:22 AM
RCWHITESOX RCWHITESOX is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Lake Arrowhead, California
Posts: 2,227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRDSR View Post
Nor should the Sox have.

Donít know specifically what heís slated to be paid in 2026-28, but it canít possibly be palatable to any franchise other than the Yankees. So be it.
Pitchers getting more than a million dollars a start; you have to ask yourself how long can this last?
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:12 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.