White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2015, 11:50 AM
WSI Prelate

Well, looks like Dansby Swanson is not going to be there, which is a bummer.

Fulmer is not going to be there at 8.

I am cooling on Cameron, I don't think he ever makes the bigs.

The guy I wonder if he drops is Tyler Jay from U of I. They really misused him, but he might be the best arm in the draft. I know we need another lefty like we need a hole in the head, but there are worse problems to have than potentially Sale-Rodon-Jay...
Old 06-02-2015, 02:21 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Well, looks like Dansby Swanson is not going to be there, which is a bummer.

I am cooling on Cameron, I don't think he ever makes the bigs.

The guy I wonder if he drops is Tyler Jay from U of I. They really misused him, but he might be the best arm in the draft. I know we need another lefty like we need a hole in the head, but there are worse problems to have than potentially Sale-Rodon-Jay...
I've seen Fulmer to the Sox in more than a couple mock drafts.
Old 06-02-2015, 02:45 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Dunno, it's going to be close. Most of the mocks I've read have Fulmer going between 6-9. Most actually have him going to the White Sox.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 06-02-2015, 03:31 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
Dunno, it's going to be close. Most of the mocks I've read have Fulmer going between 6-9. Most actually have him going to the White Sox.
His stock has been soaring lately, I would be more surprised if he is there for us than not, and will love it if we take him.
Old 06-02-2015, 04:26 PM
WSI Church Elder

Fulmer would be a nice pick for the Sox. Hope he is there at 8.
Old 06-03-2015, 12:40 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
His stock has been soaring lately, I would be more surprised if he is there for us than not, and will love it if we take him.
Agreed. The scenario I would be most interested in seeing would be if both Jay and Fulmer are there when we pick. Not that it's going to happen, but it would be interesting to see if they'd go with the local guy.
Old 06-03-2015, 04:17 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
Agreed. The scenario I would be most interested in seeing would be if both Jay and Fulmer are there when we pick. Not that it's going to happen, but it would be interesting to see if they'd go with the local guy.
There would be a lot of pressure to go with the local guy, sure. But the Sox already have Sale, Rodon and Quintana in the rotation. If Fulmer and Jay are both there, it might be tempting to go with Fulmer, the power righty that many believe is the best pitcher in college baseball.
Old 06-03-2015, 05:00 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
There would be a lot of pressure to go with the local guy, sure. But the Sox already have Sale, Rodon and Quintana in the rotation. If Fulmer and Jay are both there, it might be tempting to go with Fulmer, the power righty that many believe is the best pitcher in college baseball.
I don't think the lefty thing comes into play. Baseball has too many variables to work about position or need in the draft. I think if it came to Jay or Fulmer, one the front office might do the Macarena in the room out of joy, and two, it would turn to a crazy debate among scouts on who to take.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:12 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
I don't think the lefty thing comes into play. Baseball has too many variables to work about position or need in the draft. I think if it came to Jay or Fulmer, one the front office might do the Macarena in the room out of joy, and two, it would turn to a crazy debate among scouts on who to take.
Yes yes and yes. Top 10 pick = BPA

2015 Obligatory Attendance/Record Tracker
1-2

LAST GAME: May 22 - Sox 3, Twins 2
NEXT GAME: June 8 - Sox vs. Astros
Old 06-04-2015, 03:10 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Here is where I wish MLB would allow trading of picks. Houston could easily leverage one of their top 5 picks to improve their team THIS YEAR and compete for a division title.
Old 06-04-2015, 04:08 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Agreed.

The interesting thing is a lot of scouts think Fulmer is a future closer because they don't love his change up and don't think his delivery will work as a starter (gee, sounds like we have heard that one before, but the player seems to Sale away from my mind)

Jay, on the other hand, is being horribly misused AS a closer, and will be moved back to a starter as soon as he gets his first pro assignment (unless a team wants to put him in the pen right away)
Old 06-08-2015, 01:54 PM
WSI Church Elder

A lot of differing opinions on draft day on who we might get. The usual suspects are there on most mocks with Fuller & Harris the most often mentioned. I haven't seen any over the past few days that have us taking a bat. I'm good with that, this year's crop is considered kinda weak.
Old 06-08-2015, 02:13 PM
WSI High Priest

I agree that the position crop is not as good at the top. Unless Brendan Rodgers drops, go with a pitcher. Harris will need development, but might have the most upside. Jay is the most likely pick and Fulmer will probably get to the Majors the quickest.
Can someone explain how the draft pool works for us this year, since the Sox forfeited their 2nd and 3rd rounders because of FA signings.
Old 06-08-2015, 02:18 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Interesting about Jay, he's not been as scouted as heavily as other players because he doesn't play in the typical warmer weather states, and crosscheckers try to scout multiple players per trip.

So someone could really get a steal. I'm pulling for the Astros to grab him with their second pick at #5.
Old 06-08-2015, 02:20 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
Interesting about Jay, he's not been as scouted as heavily as other players because he doesn't play in the typical warmer weather states, and crosscheckers try to scout multiple players per trip.

So someone could really get a steal. I'm pulling for the Astros to grab him with their second pick at #5.
Its not just the warm weather problem. Literally the problem for him has been, he is not a lock to ever pitch. Teams cant waste a weekend going to watch a big 10 game when the one guy they want to see might not pitch.