White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 10:05 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
Someday I hope to see Yosmer Solorzano and Yelmison Peralta pitch to Yermin Mercedes, in front of an infield of Yolmer Sanchez, Yeyson Yrizzari, Yoan Moncada, and Yustin Yurchak.
I'd also like Harry Caray re-incarnated to announce that game....

H2H1 Champion 2011, 2012
Dynasty Runner up 2012
Old 06-15-2018, 10:07 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Yep, at least we had an outstanding outing by Dunning and pretty decent one
by Cease tonight.

Dunning: 8.0 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 10 K
Cease: 8.0 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 2 BB, 4 K
Man, if Giolito ever figures it out, with Lopez and Dunning...that Eaton trade will go down as the franchise changer.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:27 AM
WSI High Priest

Looks like Dunning will be up to AAA at some point this season, Cease has to be close to moving up to AA (along with Flores), opening up some space for a few Kanny arms to move up.

Fulmer, Adams and Stephens going for Charlotte this weekend.

Kopech off the rails at Charlotte- very disturbing.

Overall- nice to see the progress across the system- with more balance of high quality prospects across all levels.

Last edited by TomBradley72; 06-15-2018 at 11:08 AM.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:33 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws05champ View Post
Man, if Giolito ever figures it out, with Lopez and Dunning...that Eaton trade will go down as the franchise changer.
Hell, getting just *two* pitchers of that caliber would be franchise-changing. Giolitio doesn't need to pan out anymore, only Dunning and Lopez. Giolito would just be icing on the cake at this point if those two continue to perform.

2014 PtC Score: 1
Old 06-15-2018, 12:17 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieDarko View Post
Hell, getting just *two* pitchers of that caliber would be franchise-changing. Giolitio doesn't need to pan out anymore, only Dunning and Lopez. Giolito would just be icing on the cake at this point if those two continue to perform.
At this point, I feel like Giolito should revert back to his 100MPH fast ball days, move him to the bull pen and maybe he becomes a Dellin Betances type of reliever for the Sox???
Old 06-15-2018, 12:24 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
It didn't seem to affect Covey, at least for the moment.
I don't think Covey came here with the pedigree both Kopech and Yoan came with.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:39 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
I don't think Covey came here with the pedigree both Kopech and Yoan came with.
He didn't but he was the 14th overall pick by the Brewers back in 2010 as a prep and then a 4th rounder three years later. At one point, he was fairly well-regarded as a prospect and is just entering his prime (26).

Good article in the Trib today about how Covey's no longer afraid of attacking the strike zone. That's what I really like about him and Fry. Both trust their defense to make plays behind them and don't nibble. They just throw strikes. I hope Giolito takes note. I'd rather a pitcher be aggressive and get lit up then give up a bunch of free passes and allow hitters to feast on their 'get me over' stuff.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:41 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Chappas View Post
He didn't but he was the 14th overall pick by the Brewers back in 2010 as a prep and then a 4th rounder three years later. At one point, he was fairly well-regarded as a prospect and is just entering his prime (26).

Yeah, but he was a Rule 5 acquisition.

Moncada and Kopech were traded for a top 5 pitcher of this current era. And their prospect stock was elite status.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:41 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Chappas View Post

Good article in the Trib today about how Covey's no longer afraid of attacking the strike zone. That's what I really like about him and Fry. Both trust their defense to make plays behind them and don't nibble. They just throw strikes. I hope Giolito takes note. I'd rather a pitcher be aggressive and get lit up then give up a bunch of free passes and allow hitters to feast on their 'get me over' stuff.

Do pitchers get paid by the number of pitches thrown or by their wins and loses?

A pitcher has to be told to be aggressive and attack the strike zone?
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 06-16-2018, 10:25 AM
WSI Church Elder

Fulmer with another stellar 6 BB outing. What is this disease where nobody can throw a strike?
Old 06-16-2018, 11:01 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huisj View Post
Fulmer with another stellar 6 BB outing. What is this disease where nobody can throw a strike?
I think the White Sox really need to stop and let him develop as a potentially dominant reliever.

We have too much pitching depth for this to matter.

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:13 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
I think the White Sox really need to stop and let him [Fulmer] develop as a potentially dominant reliever.
The more I think about it, I think he'd be a gas can of a reliever. If I could trade him for a bag of balls, I would.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:20 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
Why?
Seriously, is this first names-beginning-with-Y thing a fad in Latin countries? I don't remember noticing it before a few years ago. Now you've got Yasiel Puig, Yadier Molina, Yan Gomes, Yangervis Solarte, Yasmani Grandal, Yhency Brazoban, Yoenis Cespedes, Yonder Alonso, Yordano Ventura, Yulieski Gurriel [and Betancourt], Yunel Escobar, Yusmeiro Petit...

Yogi Berra was ahead of his time.

If you made a team of first-names-beginning-with-Z, they'd almost all be Zack or Zach.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:01 PM
WSI Personality

What makes anyone think Fulmer will be a shut down reliever? He may pick a mph or two on his fastball, but he's already not throwing hard and has no clue where the ball is going. I'm on the fence and about to jump to he's a lost cause.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:03 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxkid23 View Post
What makes anyone think Fulmer will be a shut down reliever? He may pick a mph or two on his fastball, but he's already not throwing hard and has no clue where the ball is going. I'm on the fence and about to jump to he's a lost cause.
Because his slider is filthy, and poor command matters a lot less when you're only going an inning or two.

Granted, the control he's been showing lately isn't going to fly anywhere, but a good number of the game's dominant relievers - Miller, Betances, Chapman, Britton, Wade Davis, I could go on and on - essentially had the same story. High-upside starters who threw hard but had neither good command nor a third pitch. Sounds a lot like Fulmer, and people have been saying this about him since he was in college. So there's a lot of precedent for thinking there's a chance.
Closed Thread