White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2018, 02:08 PM
WSI Prelate

Sully points to two White Sox wins that ultimately help deny the Cubs the division title:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...004-story.html

Meanwhile, I suppose the season's over for the Wrigley Rat, too:
https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loca...494512071.html
Old 10-04-2018, 02:50 PM
WSI Regular

Most of the Cub fans I ripped on the last few days quickly want to remind me about the Sox attendance. What is the deal with Cubs Fans and Attendance? Why is it so important to them? I just respond "If that is the kind of championship you want is the attendance champion, then congrats!" or "I better switch alliance ASAP because I want to cheer for whats popular, do you have more room for fans?"
Old 10-04-2018, 03:16 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-SideTrifecta View Post
Most of the Cub fans I ripped on the last few days quickly want to remind me about the Sox attendance. What is the deal with Cubs Fans and Attendance? Why is it so important to them? I just respond "If that is the kind of championship you want is the attendance champion, then congrats!" or "I better switch alliance ASAP because I want to cheer for whats popular, do you have more room for fans?"
You mean they didn't mention the fact that the Sox lost 100 games? because they could've said that. I guess attendance for them has become a Pavlovian thing.

"How did the Cubs lose to the Rockies?"

"Attendance!"

"They blew a 4 1/2 game lead."

"Attendance!"

"Will Yu Darvish come back next year?"

"Attendance!"

"They'll sign Bryce Harper."

"Attendance!"

"Kris Bry-"

"Attendance! Attendance! Attendance!"
Old 10-04-2018, 03:25 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I have to admit that I was doing the same thing in the GO GO SOX era when the Sox were outdrawing the Flubs, some years by a 2-1 ratio. The joke was that the Cubs couldn't draw flies.
It makes me sicker than a dog that they now outdraw us by a 2-1 ratio and that our park was drenched in a sea of baby blue when the 2 teams met 2 weeks ago.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 10-04-2018 at 03:30 PM.
Old 10-04-2018, 05:19 PM
WSI Village Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyJohn View Post
You mean they didn't mention the fact that the Sox lost 100 games? because they could've said that. I guess attendance for them has become a Pavlovian thing.

"How did the Cubs lose to the Rockies?"

"Attendance!"

"They blew a 4 1/2 game lead."

"Attendance!"

"Will Yu Darvish come back next year?"

"Attendance!"

"They'll sign Bryce Harper."

"Attendance!"

"Kris Bry-"

"Attendance! Attendance! Attendance!"

Me: "You worry more about popularity than a middle school girl."

Apr 8 L
May 18 W
May 29 W
Jun 15 L
Jun 29 L
Jul 3 (1) W
Jul 4 L
Jul 23 L
Aug 13 (1) L
Aug 13 (2) W
Aug 24 L
Aug 29 L
Sep 6 L
Sep 12 L
Sep 28 (1) W
Sep 28 (2) L

Next Game Spring 2020
Old 10-04-2018, 06:35 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JermaineDye05 View Post
The only thing that would improve this is to add the Rockies.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:24 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by FielderJones View Post
Me: "You worry more about popularity than a middle school girl."
Falling back on the "we're more popular" mantra when your team won the WS just two years go is, to say the least, weird. That was a consolation (of sorts, I guess) when your team was bad. Now your team is very good; having a bad hitting slump at the wrong time and being chased down by a very hot team is a thing that happens every now and then in the game of baseball.

One bitter Wubs fan said the Brewers were only able to sign good players because "we go up to their ballpark to see our team when they play there." As if the difference in eight or nine games a year attributable to Chicago fans' road attendance made a huge difference to the MILW budget. Just dumb.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:21 PM
WSI High Priest

There are some Cubs fans in my life who've taken exception to the attached picture, which may or may not have been taken at my school yesterday morning. Two years ago, one of my students got me that 'L' flag for Christmas. For the most part, I've kept it in the closet. Given that I live in the northwest suburbs, I'd be asking for it if I hung it outside.

Tuesday morning, also known as the morning after the Cubs LOST to the Brewers, someone at my school started blaring "Go Cubs Go" over the PA as the kids were coming in. I went into the hallway, and the two other teachers in my hallway who are Sox fans came up to me and were like, "They LOST yesterday! What the hell?!" Even the kids were commenting that they didn't get the song being played because the Cubs had lost! After that stupid song was blaring and our assistant principal was done giving us the business, asking us what time the Sox were playing that night (), the three of us decided we'd had enough. I told them that if the Cubs lost to the Rockies, I was bringing the 'L' flag to school the next morning.

After we took this picture, the 'L' hung on the wall between my classroom and the classroom of the Sox fan in the middle. At lunchtime, we decided we'd had our fun and took it down.

The woman in the middle posted the picture on my Facebook page late yesterday afternoon, and the comments on the picture from friends have been unbelievable and include, "Haters gonna hate," "Not cool, ladies. Not cool!" and "Seriously?!"

Cubs fans are so thin-skinned. They've done nothing but dish it out for the last four damn years, but as soon as we Sox fans gave it back to them just a little bit, they couldn't handle it. The ones at my school pick and pick and pick at the three of us, even though we say absolutely nothing to instigate it. Yet, when we struck back, they were appalled at our behavior.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4425.jpg (68.3 KB, 77 views)
Robin!

Yaz! Pliers!

"Robin Ventura has one thing Ozzie does not have -- CLASS!" ~My dad, in response to seeing the Sox commercials that featured Robin, 03.08.12

Old 10-04-2018, 09:36 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxGirl View Post
There are some Cubs fans in my life who've taken exception to the attached picture, which may or may not have been taken at my school yesterday morning. Two years ago, one of my students got me that 'L' flag for Christmas. For the most part, I've kept it in the closet. Given that I live in the northwest suburbs, I'd be asking for it if I hung it outside.

Tuesday morning, also known as the morning after the Cubs LOST to the Brewers, someone at my school started blaring "Go Cubs Go" over the PA as the kids were coming in. I went into the hallway, and the two other teachers in my hallway who are Sox fans came up to me and were like, "They LOST yesterday! What the hell?!" Even the kids were commenting that they didn't get the song being played because the Cubs had lost! After that stupid song was blaring and our assistant principal was done giving us the business, asking us what time the Sox were playing that night (), the three of us decided we'd had enough. I told them that if the Cubs lost to the Rockies, I was bringing the 'L' flag to school the next morning.

After we took this picture, the 'L' hung on the wall between my classroom and the classroom of the Sox fan in the middle. At lunchtime, we decided we'd had our fun and took it down.

The woman in the middle posted the picture on my Facebook page late yesterday afternoon, and the comments on the picture from friends have been unbelievable and include, "Haters gonna hate," "Not cool, ladies. Not cool!" and "Seriously?!"

Cubs fans are so thin-skinned. They've done nothing but dish it out for the last four damn years, but as soon as we Sox fans gave it back to them just a little bit, they couldn't handle it. The ones at my school pick and pick and pick at the three of us, even though we say absolutely nothing to instigate it. Yet, when we struck back, they were appalled at our behavior.
Way to represent!
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Old 10-04-2018, 11:22 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
Five teams in the American League lost at least 95 games, and they played really bad baseball in doing so. The A's didn't win 97 games because they played great baseball.

Inflated wins were out there this year for teams that didn't tank.
The wins totals may have been a little inflated, but that still doesn’t have to mean the A’s didn’t play great baseball, no? Plus the West was the only division that didn’t have any truly godawful teams in it. That bullpen is one of the most singularly dominant group of relievers I’ve ever seen. Chapman is an absolute wizard at third and can really swing it. Isn’t it fun watching a little guy like Khris Davis hit balls to the moon? Even that kid Laureano looks really exciting. Throw that in with a solid group of veterans like Lucroy, Lowrie, Semien, and Piscotty, and I think it’s hard to argue they didn’t earn those wins as much as any other team.

Besides, given the finite number of players in MLB at any given time, you could argue that talent level is a zero sum game. Just because the O’s, Royals, and White Sox fielded an unusually number of bad players doesn’t mean the Red Sox and Yankees and A’s won games they didn’t deserve to win, it just means they had an unusually high number of great players. I don’t think it’s really fair to call that watered down.
Old 10-05-2018, 04:54 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Most of the Cub fans I ripped on the last few days quickly want to remind me about the Sox attendance. What is the deal with Cubs Fans and Attendance? Why is it so important to them?
Nothing but a sheep mantra. Screw 'em and keep marching to your own drummer!
Old 10-05-2018, 09:02 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Most of the Cub fans I ripped on the last few days quickly want to remind me about the Sox attendance. What is the deal with Cubs Fans and Attendance? Why is it so important to them?
For better or for worse, being popular is part of their team's identity.
Old 10-05-2018, 01:32 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxGirl View Post

You ladies look fantastic!!! Fly the L!

Thanks for being an awesome ambassador Minnie!
Old 10-05-2018, 04:12 PM
WSI Guru

Location: Body is in Chicago. Mind is in Salt Lake City, Utah

Quote:
I get sick of it as well. The Cubs have a ballpark that is lauded nationally. It's easy to draw people to the ballpark who aren't even fans of baseball when it's just a "thing you MUST visit once in your life." We don't get the tourism the Cubs do. I'd like to see what their attendance would be if they didn't play at a tourist trap.

Bucket List Tracker
States Visited: All 50
Attended an NHL game in 14 NHL cities (Next: St. Louis 12/14)
Attended Mass at 8 Archdiocese Cathedrals (Next: St. Louis 12/15)

I really love Salt Lake City
Old 10-06-2018, 02:02 AM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisoxfanatic View Post
I get sick of it as well. The Cubs have a ballpark that is lauded nationally. It's easy to draw people to the ballpark who aren't even fans of baseball when it's just a "thing you MUST visit once in your life." We don't get the tourism the Cubs do. I'd like to see what their attendance would be if they didn't play at a tourist trap.
I can't tell you how many times I've had Minnesota people tell me "we're going to Chicago this week, and we're going to see Wrigley Field while we're there." Not "we're going to see the Cubs," but "we're going to see Wrigley Field."

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)