GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2019, 09:28 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Wow and you were SO close to going a whole month without trolling...

I haven't looked at the amount of errors TA has...but to be fair, is this not a thread to discuss TA? If he is going to lead the league in errors - even with time off - that's not inconsequential, and we probably should bring it up in conjunction with any accolades. Do we really need two TA threads?

edit: I just looked it up. Crap. He's got 23 errors. That's six more than the second worst shortstop in terms of errors. That's VERY significant. It's not that he has a lot of errors. He has SO many more than anyone else. In terms of DWAR and the rest of baseball...of the 22 shortstops that qualify, TA has the fifth worst DWAR. This probably shouldn't be glanced over. DWAR considers TA a negative value on the defensive side.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:32 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
I haven't looked at the amount of errors TA has...but to be fair, is this not a thread to discuss TA? If he is going to lead the league in errors - even with time off - that's not inconsequential, and we probably should bring it up in conjunction with any accolades. Do we really need two TA threads?

edit: I just looked it up. Crap. He's got 23 errors. That's six more than the second worst shortstop in terms of errors. That's VERY significant. It's not that he has a lot of errors. He has SO many more than anyone else. In terms of DWAR and the rest of baseball...of the 22 shortstops that qualify, TA has the fifth worst DWAR. This probably shouldn't be glanced over. DWAR considers TA a negative value on the defensive side.
It wasn't the information it was the tone that led to my reply. I agree Tim's defense is worthy of discussion and yes I'd like to see more consistency from him in that department.

FYI, he's only at -0.2 DWAR. His range has balanced most of the errors to make him close to a replacement level player which is stunning because as you said he's got a LOT of errors. If he can ever find some consistency he's going to be a beast, but it will require he put in the work to get it done.

Just looked it up. He's 7th in the majors for out of zone plays according to Fangraphs. He's also the only player in the top 19 with a negative overall defensive rating. Ironically #20 is Fernando Tatis (please don't make me split this thread by taking that name and running with it).

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 08-26-2019, 11:15 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
I didn't see the two fielding errors from yesterday. I do know he has double digit throwing errors. Most of those throwing errors due to due to poor setup.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 08-26-2019, 12:16 PM
WSI Church Elder

I sent an email to Hahn last year about Anderson and told him they need to get Anderson straightened out and fast. The team needs to be strong up the middle defensively, and the best way to help Anderson was by getting Omar Vizquel on the Sox staff. There's no one better than Vizquel to teach someone how to play the position. Vizquel was all about preparation, mechanics, and making the easy play look easy, something Anderson does not always do.

Of course, I never heard from Hahn; he never acknowledged he got the email.
Old 08-26-2019, 12:55 PM
WSI Regular

Anderson might be better suited as a DH. However, the White Sox already have two other position players (Abreu, Jiminez) that should be designated hitters. Unfortunately, a team is only allowed one DH at a time, not three.

Another question regarding Anderson's hitting this year. Has he truly turned a corner, or is this year similar to Avisail Garcia's 2017 season? Is Anderson's season a one-off, or might he be a .300 hitter perennially?
Old 08-26-2019, 01:38 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camilo, carry-on View Post
Anderson might be better suited as a DH. However, the White Sox already have two other position players (Abreu, Jiminez) that should be designated hitters. Unfortunately, a team is only allowed one DH at a time, not three.

Another question regarding Anderson's hitting this year. Has he truly turned a corner, or is this year similar to Avisail Garcia's 2017 season? Is Anderson's season a one-off, or might he be a .300 hitter perennially?
He has too much raw ability defensively to be a DH. If anything, maybe move him to 2B with shorter throws and let Nick Madrigal start working at SS.
Old 08-26-2019, 01:40 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
He has too much raw ability defensively to be a DH. If anything, maybe move him to 2B with shorter throws and let Nick Madrigal start working at SS.
Work with him on arm angle when releasing the ball. They did something similar with Jose Valentin back in the day and it did cut down on the errors though he never became a low error guy. With Tim it's more about focus and muscle memory. He needs to learn to stop throwing the ball sidearm when he's moving laterally in relation to first base.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:37 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyWhiSoxFan View Post
I sent an email to Hahn last year about Anderson and told him they need to get Anderson straightened out and fast. The team needs to be strong up the middle defensively, and the best way to help Anderson was by getting Omar Vizquel on the Sox staff. There's no one better than Vizquel to teach someone how to play the position. Vizquel was all about preparation, mechanics, and making the easy play look easy, something Anderson does not always do.

I would be very disappointed in Hahn if he had free time to respond to fan email.

Regarding Vizquel, yes he was a great SS but does that really mean he is a good teacher? The answer could be yes, but there are plenty of people in the world who are talented and good at their jobs but can’t teach those skills to others.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:43 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyWhiSoxFan View Post
If I sent an e-mail to the GM of any pro sports franchise, I would not expect any type of response.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 08-26-2019, 03:05 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camilo, carry-on View Post
Obviously we won't really know until next year, but what makes me hopeful is that Anderson has hit well even after going down with an injury and missing a bit of time. It wasn't just an early season hot streak.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 08-26-2019, 03:45 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
it wasn't the information it was the tone that led to my reply. I agree tim's defense is worthy of discussion and yes i'd like to see more consistency from him in that department.

Fyi, he's only at -0.2 dwar. His range has balanced most of the errors to make him close to a replacement level player which is stunning because as you said he's got a lot of errors. If he can ever find some consistency he's going to be a beast, but it will require he put in the work to get it done.

Just looked it up. He's 7th in the majors for out of zone plays according to fangraphs. He's also the only player in the top 19 with a negative overall defensive rating. ironically #20 is fernando tatis (please don't make me split this thread by taking that name and running with it).
why would you even
Old 08-26-2019, 04:38 PM
WSI Regular

TA should not be DH or 2B. He is either SS or OF or trade bait (but then you would need to find someone better at SS). Tim might fit one of the corner OF positions. I'm not sure of his arm strength for RF but if not there, then LF while Robert roams CF. Those two guys speed would be great out there. So what about Jimenez you say? I switch him to 1B/DH. Then he could alternate with Jose (Vaughn in the future).
But before all that, I would work Tim in the off season on SS defense and work him hard. That is where I hope his benefit is to the team for years to come.
Old 08-26-2019, 04:45 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
If I sent an e-mail to the GM of any pro sports franchise, I would not expect any type of response.
In 1978 I sent a letter to Bill Veeck about free agency and how it might ruin the game and about 10 days later I received a return letter. I still have the letter but right now I'm too lazy to get it out of my White Sox momento box and post it.
Old 08-26-2019, 05:04 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
In 1978 I sent a letter to Bill Veeck about free agency and how it might ruin the game and about 10 days later I received a return letter. I still have the letter but right now I'm too lazy to get it out of my White Sox momento box and post it.
My dad has a response letter from Bill Veeck too. He kept it on a wall in his office until the day he retired.
Old 08-26-2019, 05:40 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
TA should not be DH or 2B. He is either SS or OF or trade bait (but then you would need to find someone better at SS). Tim might fit one of the corner OF positions. I'm not sure of his arm strength for RF but if not there, then LF while Robert roams CF. Those two guys speed would be great out there. So what about Jimenez you say? I switch him to 1B/DH. Then he could alternate with Jose (Vaughn in the future).
But before all that, I would work Tim in the off season on SS defense and work him hard. That is where I hope his benefit is to the team for years to come.
What in the world makes so many people think that Tim Anderson should be converted to an outfielder?