White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #76  
Old 06-08-2015, 10:47 PM
DSpivack DSpivack is offline
WSI 2017 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Evanston
Posts: 30,024
Default

Astros took Cameron in the supplemental round.
__________________
Attendance records:
09 : 3-2.
10 : 2-3.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
15: 3-3.
16: 1-0.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 06-08-2015, 10:51 PM
russ99 russ99 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 12,520
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
Astros took Cameron in the supplemental round.
Yup, and my guess they have Tucker taking under slot to afford Cameron over slot.

If they can get all three signed, Luhnow wins the draft again. Plus they have a pick coming up at 46

Tonight's the craziest sports night I can remember: Hawks Cup Final game, U.S. Women's World Cup, Sox vs. Astros with Correa's debut, and the baseball draft.

I can barely keep up.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 06-08-2015, 11:11 PM
DumpJerry's Avatar
DumpJerry DumpJerry is offline
Tom Feargal Hagen
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The hearts and minds of Sox fans on 10-26-05
Posts: 28,372
Default

Check out the Instagram in this story. He's pretty excited to be picked by the Sox.

I guess he has not been a regular reader of WSI.
__________________


2020....2020.....2020....2020....2020.....
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 06-08-2015, 11:20 PM
soxfanreggie soxfanreggie is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Normal, IL/Sarasota, FL
Posts: 12,045
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Check out the Instagram in this story. He's pretty excited to be picked by the Sox.

I guess he has not been a regular reader of WSI.
I'm sure he's excited to be with the Sox, but I'm guessing that he would be this excited anywhere in the top 10.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 06-08-2015, 11:39 PM
RCWHITESOX RCWHITESOX is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Lake Arrowhead, California
Posts: 2,141
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
There would be a lot of pressure to go with the local guy, sure. But the Sox already have Sale, Rodon and Quintana in the rotation. If Fulmer and Jay are both there, it might be tempting to go with Fulmer, the power righty that many believe is the best pitcher in college baseball.
He is and we got him !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by RCWHITESOX; 06-09-2015 at 02:25 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 06-09-2015, 12:35 AM
Andrew C White Andrew C White is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,957
Default

Very pleased to see we got Fulmer. Did not expect he would still be around. Crazy 8! Now let's hope he is as good as advertised.
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 06-09-2015, 12:43 AM
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 55,245
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew C White View Post
Very pleased to see we got Fulmer. Did not expect he would still be around. Crazy 8! Now let's hope he is as good as advertised.
Lot of stuff I've read on Fulmer suggests the big downside to him is that there's still some question of where he will end up if he makes the Majors; as a SP or a bullpen arm. Can't blame a lot of teams for not wanting to take such a risk in the Top 10, but I have a lot of faith in the Sox's ability to develop pitchers who are considered a little odd.

Tremendous pick, can't wait to see him in Chicago in a few years
__________________
#9

2015 Obligatory Attendance/Record Tracker
1-2

LAST GAME: May 22 - Sox 3, Twins 2
NEXT GAME: June 8 - Sox vs. Astros
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 06-09-2015, 05:59 AM
ZombieRob ZombieRob is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Braunfels Texas
Posts: 7,493
Default

Is it me or does Vandy seem to have a pipeline of pitchers who end up in th majors?
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 06-09-2015, 07:27 AM
soxfanreggie soxfanreggie is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Normal, IL/Sarasota, FL
Posts: 12,045
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieRob View Post
Is it me or does Vandy seem to have a pipeline of pitchers who end up in th majors?
They do have several guys who have made the majors as of late, but a lot of the notoriety rests on David Price along with Sonny Gray. Taylor Hill of the Nats is another name too.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 06-09-2015, 08:23 AM
ChiSoxNationPres ChiSoxNationPres is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,495
Default

I don't like it that the Cubs seem to know what they are doing all of a sudden. They are very smart by constantly taking a proven college position player with the best hit tool. IMO this is the most essential tool to have to be a good major leaguer. Easier to teach defense in the minors than to learn how to hit.
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 06-09-2015, 10:25 AM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - Mayfair
Posts: 4,897
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
I don't like it that the Cubs seem to know what they are doing all of a sudden. They are very smart by constantly taking a proven college position player with the best hit tool. IMO this is the most essential tool to have to be a good major leaguer. Easier to teach defense in the minors than to learn how to hit.
Why do they "know what they are doing"? When you consistently pick in the first 5 or 10, you get top tier talent. Just because Bryant panned out doesn't mean they are going to hit on every first round college bat all of a sudden.
__________________
<a href=http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3256 target=_blank>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...achmentid=3256</a>

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 06-09-2015, 10:26 AM
cards press box cards press box is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,717
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
I don't like it that the Cubs seem to know what they are doing all of a sudden. They are very smart by constantly taking a proven college position player with the best hit tool. IMO this is the most essential tool to have to be a good major leaguer. Easier to teach defense in the minors than to learn how to hit.
Hitting is important and, as the Sox have shown this year, it is necessary to put runs on the board.

And, yet, elite pitching is still the hardest skill to find. Few dispute that the Sox took the best college pitcher last year in Carlos Rodon. They may have just taken the best college pitcher this year in Carson Fulmer. That is great news for the Sox and Sox fans!
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 06-09-2015, 10:38 AM
ChiSoxNationPres ChiSoxNationPres is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,495
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
Why do they "know what they are doing"? When you consistently pick in the first 5 or 10, you get top tier talent. Just because Bryant panned out doesn't mean they are going to hit on every first round college bat all of a sudden.
Yes its easier to get a first round pick right when its in the top 10, but they took Schwarber last year at 4 when they could have probably gotten him at like 14. They wanted to save slot money, but they recognized that he knows how to hit in games, and that is most important. They aren't trying to take players that are projectable or toolsy. They are identifying players that can get on base and have a good chance to translate to good major league offensive players.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 06-09-2015, 10:41 AM
ChiSoxNationPres ChiSoxNationPres is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,495
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
Hitting is important and, as the Sox have shown this year, it is necessary to put runs on the board.

And, yet, elite pitching is still the hardest skill to find. Few dispute that the Sox took the best college pitcher last year in Carlos Rodon. They may have just taken the best college pitcher this year in Carson Fulmer. That is great news for the Sox and Sox fans!
I don't love the idea of taking a pitcher in the first half of the first round. They are FAR more likely to get injured and or not pan out. But a hitter isn't that likely to have career ending injuries and in the top 15 picks there can be some All Stars.
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 06-09-2015, 10:52 AM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - Mayfair
Posts: 4,897
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
but they took Schwarber last year at 4 when they could have probably gotten him at like 14. They wanted to save slot money, but they recognized that he knows how to hit in games, and that is most important.
He didn't know how to hit in the CWS 2 years ago, nor does he know how to hit left handers. People are acting like he's a sure thing, he's most definitely not.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:19 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.