White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2015, 11:01 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
He didn't know how to hit in the CWS 2 years ago, nor does he know how to hit left handers. People are acting like he's a sure thing, he's most definitely not.
He likely had a bad few games, which obviously happens to everyone. I can't comment on his ability to hit lefties, haven't checked out his splits. Not the biggest hole to have, plus he might get to a respectable level against them at some point in the near future. He seems like a lefty Youkilis, but with more power. I guess I just like him as a prospect more than others.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:39 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
He likely had a bad few games, which obviously happens to everyone. I can't comment on his ability to hit lefties, haven't checked out his splits. Not the biggest hole to have, plus he might get to a respectable level against them at some point in the near future. He seems like a lefty Youkilis, but with more power. I guess I just like him as a prospect more than others.
FWIW - Schwarber is hitting .231 against lefties but .350 against righties.

I'm thrilled with the Sox pick based solely on the myriad scouting reports I've read. Funny how the Cubs and Sox have such different philosophies when it comes to the draft. Cubs seem to focus on hitting above all else whereas the Sox have traditionally gone after college arms. Neither has won anything so I guess we'll see which wins out.

Still, it'd be nice if the Sox would stop focusing on "toolsy" athletes - Walker, Barnum, Thompson, Mitchell, etc. and instead get some prospects that can flat-out hit. They just don't seem to be very good at 'refining' raw talent and we end up with a bunch of really fast players who don't get on base or hit for average. Rinse and repeat.
Old 06-09-2015, 12:05 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Chappas View Post
FWIW - Schwarber is hitting .231 against lefties but .350 against righties.

I'm thrilled with the Sox pick based solely on the myriad scouting reports I've read. Funny how the Cubs and Sox have such different philosophies when it comes to the draft. Cubs seem to focus on hitting above all else whereas the Sox have traditionally gone after college arms. Neither has won anything so I guess we'll see which wins out.

Still, it'd be nice if the Sox would stop focusing on "toolsy" athletes - Walker, Barnum, Thompson, Mitchell, etc. and instead get some prospects that can flat-out hit. They just don't seem to be very good at 'refining' raw talent and we end up with a bunch of really fast players who don't get on base or hit for average. Rinse and repeat.

I'm with you there. If a player doesn't have an instictive knack for hitting prior to being drafted, then there is a small chance of them being a stud hitter. I want proven hitters that work all fields and don't strike out almost every game.

Last edited by ChiSoxNationPres; 06-09-2015 at 12:12 PM.
Old 06-09-2015, 12:19 PM
WSI Guru

From Heyman at CBS Sports.com:

"The White Sox got a steal with Fuller, who had a huge college career, and plan to keep him as a starting pitcher following his big season in the rotation there after starring previously as a closer.
One competing scout says Fuller would make a dynamic closer. "He has big (guts)," the scout said. "

Lip
Old 06-09-2015, 12:58 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
From Heyman at CBS Sports.com:

"The White Sox got a steal with Fuller, who had a huge college career, and plan to keep him as a starting pitcher following his big season in the rotation there after starring previously as a closer.
One competing scout says Fuller would make a dynamic closer. "He has big (guts)," the scout said. "

Lip
Fuller sounds a lot like our first round pick Carson Fulmer
Old 06-09-2015, 01:10 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
The Sox seem to have two different drafting philosophies. For pitchers they take accomplished college pitchers with good stuff. They then have a good track record of further developing these guys into major league pitchers. They save going after the guys with good stuff but lack of accomplishment for later rounds. Their results there are accordingly mixed.

For position players they take atheltic guys with a track record of success in other sports but a general lack of experience in baseball... and then fail miserably in turning them into baseball players.

I haven't paid close attention to the Cubs drafting but you guys seem to be describing a team that drafts accomplished baseball players rather than toolsy athletes without experience.

Seems to me the Sox simply need to change their philosophy when it comes to position players. Maybe match it up closer to their philosophy for drafting pitchers.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:28 PM
WSI Prelate

MLB ‏@MLB 6m6 minutes ago Proof that there is PLENTY of talent beyond Day 1 of the #MLBDraft.

<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>
Old 06-09-2015, 01:37 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew C White View Post
For position players they take atheltic guys with a track record of success in other sports but a general lack of experience in baseball... and then fail miserably in turning them into baseball players.

Seems to me the Sox simply need to change their philosophy when it comes to position players. Maybe match it up closer to their philosophy for drafting pitchers.
Don't know how much things will radically change until JR and Kenny aren't inserting themselves into the draft process.

Kenny is the one who wants "athletes" instead of baseball players, that's his mentality and I've been told on more than one occasion that JR inserts himself into the process with "suggestions" as to whom the Sox should draft.

I'm sure that puts his scouting / player development people in an uncomfortable situation. How many times would you be comfortable doing something other than what your boss suggests?

Lip
Old 06-09-2015, 02:08 PM
WSI High Priest

Sox select Zack Erwin out of Clemson in the 4th round. Tall lefty with polished pitches. He started as a reliever, then moved to starter and carried the Tigers to the regionals.
Old 06-09-2015, 02:10 PM
WSI Personality

What is Orlando Hudson doing among those good players in that top late picks picture?
Old 06-09-2015, 02:29 PM
WSI Prelate

I don't like the Erwin pick..at all.. but I also have a lot of faith in Hahn, so lets see how he does.
Old 06-09-2015, 02:31 PM
WSI Personality

I don't follow the farm system that closely. Other than maybe Tim Anderson, are there any position players that seem destined for at least everyday work at the big league level?

The Sox fail miserably with FA offense so it's imperative that they draft/cultivate hitters. I guess they have - occasionally - been able to leverage pitching depth in trades (Avi Garcia comes to mind) but those players seem few and far between.
Old 06-09-2015, 02:34 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I don't follow the farm system that closely. Other than maybe Tim Anderson, are there any position players that seem destined for at least everyday work at the big league level?
Trey Michalczewski, I consider him a better prospect than Anderson. Plays better defense, has more pop and better strikezone awareness as a young 20 year old in Advanced A ball.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 06-09-2015, 02:39 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

The Sox fail miserably with FA offense so it's imperative that they draft/cultivate hitters. I guess they have - occasionally - been able to leverage pitching depth in trades (Avi Garcia comes to mind) but those players seem few and far between.
Courtney Hawkins still has a chance. I wouldn't count out Micah just yet either.
Old 06-09-2015, 02:41 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Courtney Hawkins still has a chance. I wouldn't count out Micah just yet either.
Agreed. Courtney has consistently been playing 3 to 4 years younger per level and has held his own for the most part. Micah just needs to work on that glove of his. He might be good trade bait for someone that thinks that they can turn him into an outfielder as well.