White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #166  
Old 06-11-2018, 02:36 PM
CPditka CPditka is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Logan Square
Posts: 1,163
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieDarko View Post
I guess they're not thinking that he's going to be a starter? *shrug*

Then why include Burdi... leaving off Cease has to be an oversight.
__________________
www.twitter.com/donaldandersen
  #167  
Old 06-11-2018, 02:52 PM
Frater Perdurabo Frater Perdurabo is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 20,784
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Fangraphs leaving Cease off strikes me as odd. I also think they have allowed their "decision" that Collins will end up at first base to dictate what they calculate will be his future value. It's possible that Collins could end up at first base, but it's still equally likely he'll be a starting catcher. We don't know for sure, and I imagine that even the Sox don't know for sure (although they are trying very hard to work with him to get him to stick behind the plate).



Based on my admittedly limited review, it appears that Fangraphs is trying to arrive at projected WAR in an effort to be more "objective" or data-driven by reducing uncertainty beyond which that can be quantified. On the other hand, MLB Pipeline is based more on scouting reports and is more comfortable with leaving many questions unanswered.


So, according to their methodology to determine rankings, Fangraphs has to "decide" that Collins will be moved to first base, and then tries to project/calculate his value. On the other hand, MLB Pipeline says (for instance), "he ultimately might not stick at catcher, but the Sox continue to develop him at catcher in the hopes that he can stick there."
__________________
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
  #168  
Old 06-11-2018, 05:24 PM
DonnieDarko DonnieDarko is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: North side, 60618
Posts: 2,633
Default

James Fegan: Alec Hansen will start for Birmingham this weekend.

To steal a line from Tony the Tiger: "That's grrrrrrrrrrreat!"
__________________

2014 PtC Score: 1
  #169  
Old 06-11-2018, 05:43 PM
Harry Chappas Harry Chappas is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Evanston
Posts: 1,263
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieDarko View Post
James Fegan: Alec Hansen will start for Birmingham this weekend.

To steal a line from Tony the Tiger: "That's grrrrrrrrrrreat!"
So aside from Burger and Burdi, we're just about back at full strength from the top of the organization on down. It'll be nice to just check box scores versus looking for injury updates.

Very excited to see Hansen pitch.
  #170  
Old 06-11-2018, 05:51 PM
Frater Perdurabo Frater Perdurabo is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 20,784
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Chappas View Post
So aside from Burger and Burdi, we're just about back at full strength from the top of the organization on down. It'll be nice to just check box scores versus looking for injury updates.

Very excited to see Hansen pitch.
And Burdiís recovery is progressing on schedule.

Only Burgerís re-injury is truly concerning.
  #171  
Old 06-11-2018, 06:12 PM
hoosiersoxfan hoosiersoxfan is offline
Co-Winner WSI 2018 NFL Pick'em Contest
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,999
Default

Rick Hahn says Luis Robert will be promoted to high Class A Winston-Salem in the next 7-10 days
  #172  
Old 06-11-2018, 06:47 PM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 34,134
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Chappas View Post
So aside from Burger and Burdi, we're just about back at full strength from the top of the organization on down. It'll be nice to just check box scores versus looking for injury updates.

Very excited to see Hansen pitch.
You'll probably see Burdi in the AFL this October pitching.
  #173  
Old 06-11-2018, 07:14 PM
Frater Perdurabo Frater Perdurabo is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 20,784
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiersoxfan View Post
Rick Hahn says Luis Robert will be promoted to high Class A Winston-Salem in the next 7-10 days
This is the same timeline as:

The end of the first half of the minor league seasons, with both Kannapolis and Winston-Salem in first place and hoping to qualify for the postseason;

The influx of draftees into the system (mostly to Great Falls);

Players who stayed in Arizona for Extended Spring Training moving to affiliates;

Kopech potentially being called up to Chicago;

Eloy being promoted to Charlotte;

A bunch of cascading sets of promotions across all levels.

I think itís likely that both Kanny and W-S win their respective first half titles/playoff berths, and given the sheer depth at those levels it wouldnít surprise me to see both clubs - even with significantly different rosters - win their respective second-half titles. Further, I think itís possible that an influx
of talent to Birmingham from W-S could propel the Barons to a second-half playoff berth.
  #174  
Old 06-11-2018, 10:48 PM
ChiTownTrojan ChiTownTrojan is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 1,216
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
I think itís likely that both Kanny and W-S win their respective first half titles/playoff berths, and given the sheer depth at those levels it wouldnít surprise me to see both clubs - even with significantly different rosters - win their respective second-half titles. Further, I think itís possible that an influx
of talent to Birmingham from W-S could propel the Barons to a second-half playoff berth.
I love the optimism, but you're making the assumption that all the prospects who are performing well at their current level are going to hit the ground running after they get promoted. It's highly likely that most of them will need an adjustment period. Especially with the jump from W-S to Birmingham, which is typically the most difficult jump in the minors.
  #175  
Old 06-11-2018, 10:55 PM
ChiTownTrojan ChiTownTrojan is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 1,216
Default

Lots of good prospect news today. Per James Fegan (subscription required):
  • Hansen will start at AA this weekend
  • Robert will be promoted to W-S in the next 7-10 days
  • Adolfo's elbow is responding well and he might be able to avoid surgery
  • Avi will begin a rehab assignment tomorrow at AAA (not a prospect, but still good news in the minors)
  • Burdi has been throwing regularly off a mound, but still a long shot to pitch in games this year
  #176  
Old 06-12-2018, 10:07 AM
Frater Perdurabo Frater Perdurabo is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 20,784
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
I love the optimism, but you're making the assumption that all the prospects who are performing well at their current level are going to hit the ground running after they get promoted. It's highly likely that most of them will need an adjustment period. Especially with the jump from W-S to Birmingham, which is typically the most difficult jump in the minors.

You're right. I'm optimistic regarding the developmental progress lots of our players have shown.



Kannapolis has been dominating because so many of their players are, frankly, better/older/more experienced than their low-A competition. Many of them belong in high-A. So while adjustment is normal and likely, I expect those that they do promote to Winston-Salem - like Gonzalez and Robert, for instance - not to take too long to adjust to high-A.


At the same time, Kannapolis has been getting increasingly solid production from a growing stable of players who still aren't expected to get midseason promotions. They also likely will get an injection of talent to offset their losses through promotion, potentially Nick Madrigal and Steele Walker, who some scouts regarded as the best and second-best college hitters in the draft.



In addition, while some movement is to be expected, I don't expect massive waves of promotions from Winston-Salem to Birmingham. Yes, I expect probably two outfielders to be promoted in order to break up the logjam - my guesses are Booker and Basabe - but that would leave an exceptionally strong outfield/lineup at Winston-Salem with Gonzalez, Robert, and Rutherford, plus Call. In addition, encouraging signs on Adolfo's elbow suggest that he may be able to avoid surgery, start a throwing program, and thus at least be able to continue as full-time DH for the remainder of this season. All of that together bodes well for Winston-Salem's second-half chances.


Birmingham is the biggest wild card. I completely agree with you that the jump from A+ to AA is the second-hardest jump (behind AAA to the majors). A big part of their production has come from Eloy, who is likely headed to Charlotte after the AA All-Star game, but they also have gotten lots of production from Collins and Zavala. They also will be adding Alec Hansen to an increasingly solid pitching staff. Finally, the Southern League Northern Division is exceptionally tight. Every team is between .460 and .556, and the Barons have more home games in the second half than they had in the first half. I'd say they have as good a chance as any team to win the Northern Division second half title.
  #177  
Old 06-12-2018, 01:56 PM
Hitmen77 Hitmen77 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 13,455
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieDarko View Post
James Fegan: Alec Hansen will start for Birmingham this weekend.

To steal a line from Tony the Tiger: "That's grrrrrrrrrrreat!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Chappas View Post
So aside from Burger and Burdi, we're just about back at full strength from the top of the organization on down. It'll be nice to just check box scores versus looking for injury updates.

Very excited to see Hansen pitch.

Excellent news.


I hope he stays healthy and picks up where he left off last year.
  #178  
Old 06-12-2018, 02:18 PM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 34,134
Default

Garfein tweeted that 18 Sox prospects at various levels were named to All-Star teams.

Last edited by Lip Man 1; 06-12-2018 at 06:40 PM.
  #179  
Old 06-12-2018, 03:28 PM
guillensdisciple guillensdisciple is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 18,103
Default

Spencer Adams promoted to AAA. Wow.
__________________
http://arsenalist.com/video/?id=xh2dx6

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
  #180  
Old 06-12-2018, 03:30 PM
guillensdisciple guillensdisciple is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 18,103
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
You're right. I'm optimistic regarding the developmental progress lots of our players have shown.



Kannapolis has been dominating because so many of their players are, frankly, better/older/more experienced than their low-A competition. Many of them belong in high-A. So while adjustment is normal and likely, I expect those that they do promote to Winston-Salem - like Gonzalez and Robert, for instance - not to take too long to adjust to high-A.


At the same time, Kannapolis has been getting increasingly solid production from a growing stable of players who still aren't expected to get midseason promotions. They also likely will get an injection of talent to offset their losses through promotion, potentially Nick Madrigal and Steele Walker, who some scouts regarded as the best and second-best college hitters in the draft.



In addition, while some movement is to be expected, I don't expect massive waves of promotions from Winston-Salem to Birmingham. Yes, I expect probably two outfielders to be promoted in order to break up the logjam - my guesses are Booker and Basabe - but that would leave an exceptionally strong outfield/lineup at Winston-Salem with Gonzalez, Robert, and Rutherford, plus Call. In addition, encouraging signs on Adolfo's elbow suggest that he may be able to avoid surgery, start a throwing program, and thus at least be able to continue as full-time DH for the remainder of this season. All of that together bodes well for Winston-Salem's second-half chances.


Birmingham is the biggest wild card. I completely agree with you that the jump from A+ to AA is the second-hardest jump (behind AAA to the majors). A big part of their production has come from Eloy, who is likely headed to Charlotte after the AA All-Star game, but they also have gotten lots of production from Collins and Zavala. They also will be adding Alec Hansen to an increasingly solid pitching staff. Finally, the Southern League Northern Division is exceptionally tight. Every team is between .460 and .556, and the Barons have more home games in the second half than they had in the first half. I'd say they have as good a chance as any team to win the Northern Division second half title.
Any logic to A and A plus being strong because of.the coaching? Everything I have heard about the guy in Kanny is that he is brilliant. Same with Omar. Could be the right guys to have at the early development stages for these guys.
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:15 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.