White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 03:47 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
Any logic to A and A plus being strong because of.the coaching? Everything I have heard about the guy in Kanny is that he is brilliant. Same with Omar. Could be the right guys to have at the early development stages for these guys.
I agree that Justin Jirschele and Omar Vizquel are both doing outstanding jobs as managers of Kannapolis and Winston-Salem, respectively. Both are probably future MLB managers and could be in line to succeed Renteria if the Sox choose to replace him.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:52 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Spencer Adams promoted to AAA. Wow.

...to make room for Alec Hansen in Birmingham's rotation, I presume.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:50 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Spencer Adams promoted to AAA. Wow.
Wow, seems pretty aggressive, the guy had an ERA around 6 until a couple weeks ago. I guess this means the team is really confident that something "clicked" over his last few starts?
Old 06-12-2018, 06:00 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
Wow, seems pretty aggressive, the guy had an ERA around 6 until a couple weeks ago. I guess this means the team is really confident that something "clicked" over his last few starts?
He's pitched over 200 innings in AA, so I wouldn't call it aggressive at all. Right now Spencer is down the depth chart, so pushing him to make room for a someone above him is not all that surprising.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 06-12-2018, 06:18 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
He's pitched over 200 innings in AA, so I wouldn't call it aggressive at all. Right now Spencer is down the depth chart, so pushing him to make room for a someone above him is not all that surprising.
Just turned 22, has pitched very poorly since last July- until his last 4 (great) starts- I'm surprised they would make this move now- I thought he would need more time to validate that something has really "clicked".
Old 06-12-2018, 07:01 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
Just turned 22, has pitched very poorly since last July- until his last 4 (great) starts- I'm surprised they would make this move now- I thought he would need more time to validate that something has really "clicked".
Yeah, I'd like to read what the difference has been with Adams lately. Clearly, the Sox see something that is tangible.

In today's first game of a doubleheader, Henzman went the full 7 innings, with 1H, 6K, runs. 52 of his 67 pitches were strikes. I'd have to believe Henzman is ready for advancement to W-S. He was strictlyl a reliever last year at Louisville as a freshman, but the Sox said they saw a starter in him when they drafted him.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:21 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
He got his hands on Covey's water bottle.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:29 PM
WSI Prelate

Rutherford with another home run. Read many negative comments about him hers, but the guy has doubled his home run total from last year and probably finishes with 10 to finish the year. He is still young, and has room for growth. I really would not give up on him yet

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:24 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Rutherford with another home run. Read many negative comments about him hers, but the guy has doubled his home run total from last year and probably finishes with 10 to finish the year. He is still young, and has room for growth. I really would not give up on him yet
Agreed. I know he still has a long way to go, but he just turned 21 last month and I think it's too early to label him as "another Ryan Sweeney". Who knows - maybe that'll indeed be the case, but I'm not too worried about his HR totals just yet.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:06 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Once the first half playoffs are over, I think the starters at each level should be:

Chicago - Shields (until traded), Rodon, Lopez, Covey, Stephens/Kopech (both, once Shields is traded)

Charlotte - Giolito (hopefully not for long), Adams, Dunning, Fulmer (though he should start getting bullpen reps), Roach/Tomshaw

Birmingham - Guerrero, Hansen, Clarkin, Cease, Flores (unknown: how far away is Puckett?)

Winston-Salem - Martinez, Lambert, Battenfield, Henzman, Parke

Kannapolis - Rigler, maybe Solorzano, plus Pilkington and other draftees
Old 06-12-2018, 09:16 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
Once the first half playoffs are over, I think the starters at each level should be:

Chicago - Shields (until traded), Rodon, Lopez, Covey, Stephens/Kopech (both, once Shields is traded)

Charlotte - Giolito (hopefully not for long), Adams, Dunning, Fulmer (though he should start getting bullpen reps), Roach/Tomshaw

Birmingham - Guerrero, Hansen, Clarkin, Cease, Flores (unknown: how far away is Puckett?)

Winston-Salem - Martinez, Lambert, Battenfield, Henzman, Parke

Kannapolis - Rigler, maybe Solorzano, plus Pilkington and other draftees
How about Great Falls?
Old 06-12-2018, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
How about Great Falls?
Lower ranked/high school draftees, and undrafted free agents.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:51 PM
WSI Prelate

Stephens deserves a call up and Giolito's roster spot.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:35 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyWhiSoxFan View Post
Yeah, I'd like to read what the difference has been with Adams lately. Clearly, the Sox see something that is tangible.

In today's first game of a doubleheader, Henzman went the full 7 innings, with 1H, 6K, runs. 52 of his 67 pitches were strikes. I'd have to believe Henzman is ready for advancement to W-S. He was strictlyl a reliever last year at Louisville as a freshman, but the Sox said they saw a starter in him when they drafted him.
I like Henzman a lot. Doesn't miss a lot of bats, which is a little concerning for someone his age at low-A, but he's got great command. Kanny is loaded with talented young pitchers at the moment. It'll be interesting to see which ones make it.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Stephens deserves a call up and Giolito's roster spot.
Stephens' future is probably in the bullpen. I think he deserves a call up, and some starts this season to see how he does, but it might be Volstad's spot that he deserves.
Closed Thread