White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2018, 02:55 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiersoxfan View Post
Has a team ever had two different opposing ballclubs celebrate in their visiting locker room in back to back days like the Brewers and Rockies just did at Wrigley?
Yes the double losers,the flubs😪😪🤥🤢
Old 10-03-2018, 05:01 AM
WSI High Priest

Let the spin begin...
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 10-03-2018, 06:52 AM
WSI Church Elder

I've been trying to ignore the other team in Chicago all year. This is hard considering the news coverage they get.

So when I awoke this morning and checked the news I was pleasantly surprised I must say.

The news media will be wearing black armbands this morning.

Yeah, I'm all broken up too.
Old 10-03-2018, 07:07 AM
WSI High Priest

Old 10-03-2018, 07:40 AM
WSI Personality

What a collapse!

Yeah yeah the Brewers played out of their minds but 2 home games to take care of business and they couldn't do it. And the Rockies were in their 3rd timezone in 3 nights. Beautiful!

YES!
Old 10-03-2018, 08:14 AM
WSI Personality

The Cubs got cold at the absolute worst possible time. I can't even call this a collapse since they played pretty well for the month of September (16-12, I think). The Brewers got insanely hot and the Rockies won when they had to. If you're the true best team in the league, you simply cannot be beaten twice at home and only score a pair of runs.

But I'm assuming the following will happen:

1. Chili Davis will be their fall guy. He'll get thrown under the bus by management (by way of their mouthpieces in the local media, Sullivan and Bernstein).

2. Call me crazy but I have a feeling they'll go after Harper. The team prints money and they could afford to give him a massive contract. Then Heyward will be made the second fall guy and they'll try to trade him for scraps while they pick up a huge portion of his salary.

3. Maddon will come out of this largely unscathed because for some reason, the media doesn't question him. Ever. The best managers in baseball get questioned all the time but I can't remember a time someone in the media truly asked him about the decisions he makes.

Anyways, go Brewers, go Rockies, and I can't cheer for anyone in the AL.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:43 AM
WSI Church Elder

Thoughts:

It's a good thing our Cubbies won it all in 2016. Had they not done so, the weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth would be loud and hyperbolic. The media would be questing to see who could turn the best phrase as they compared this season to 1969, 1984, 2003 and 2008. The words "curse" and "goat" would be in every headline and story. The search for a player or fan to scapegoat would be in full swing. So it's good that they won, right?

Naaaaaaaaaaah. I thoroughly enjoyed the media's annual tears and melodramatics when their Cubbies fell apart. I miss it.

I think the Cubs will land Harper. He's made no secret of his desire to play with his boyhood chum Kris With The Dreamy Smile. Once the Cubbies get their station, they'll have more money than ever. So our long National Nightmare is over for now, but if Harper does land with them, his signature won't be on the contract before it will begin anew. Meanwhile, Eloy Jimenez will be counting the days to his free agency, so he could get away from the ghetto team.

The Brewers are my pick to win the whole thing. Why? They have the "Ex-White Sox Factor" going for them. They will come through.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:13 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Has a team ever had two different opposing ballclubs celebrate in their visiting locker room in back to back days like the Brewers and Rockies just did at Wrigley?

Another historic milestone for beautiful Wrigley Field!
Old 10-03-2018, 09:22 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I guess you have to feel bad for the maintenance crew who had to clean up after the Brewers' celebration, only to have to do it all over again the next day!

"Gogh Gogh White Sox!"
Old 10-03-2018, 09:43 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOX ADDICT '73 View Post
I guess you have to feel bad for the maintenance crew who had to clean up after the Brewers' celebration, only to have to do it all over again the next day!
Well this time they won’t have the rush.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:51 AM
WSI Church Elder

Boy was that cathartic.

I don’t think the Cubs landing Harper is as simple as throwing a gigantic check at him. They’d have to move a lot of pieces around. They’ve still got Heyward’s bloated contract for another 4 years. Schwarber would definitely have to be traded (likely for very little), as he’s pretty much confined to LF. Almora is their only center fielder, and a defensive outfield of Harper in CF and Schwarber in LF would be a disaster. Then, with Bryant, Baez, and Rizzo entrenched in the infield, you have exactly one spot between Happ, Zobrist, and Russell (who will eventually be back in the fold next year.

Not saying it won’t or can’t happen, but the logistics are a lot more difficult than most will imagine. Not to mention that after Hendricks and Lester and Q, their rotation is a bunch of expensive question marks. They’d have to do a whole lot to make it work and even then, the fact that Harper and Bryant grew up playing together is a fraction as meaningful as Cubs fans would have you believe. This ain’t the NBA. 2 or 3 players that get along do not a team make.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:59 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyJohn View Post
Thoughts:

It's a good thing our Cubbies won it all in 2016. Had they not done so, the weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth would be loud and hyperbolic. The media would be questing to see who could turn the best phrase as they compared this season to 1969, 1984, 2003 and 2008. The words "curse" and "goat" would be in every headline and story. The search for a player or fan to scapegoat would be in full swing. So it's good that they won, right?

Naaaaaaaaaaah. I thoroughly enjoyed the media's annual tears and melodramatics when their Cubbies fell apart. I miss it.

I think the Cubs will land Harper. He's made no secret of his desire to play with his boyhood chum Kris With The Dreamy Smile. Once the Cubbies get their station, they'll have more money than ever. So our long National Nightmare is over for now, but if Harper does land with them, his signature won't be on the contract before it will begin anew. Meanwhile, Eloy Jimenez will be counting the days to his free agency, so he could get away from the ghetto team.

The Brewers are my pick to win the whole thing. Why? They have the "Ex-White Sox Factor" going for them. They will come through.

It's interesting that the Cubs rebuild went off almost perfectly and yet they're only one Trevor Bauer injury away from having a 110 year championship drought intact. It just goes to show you how difficult it is to win the World Series even if you hit the bullseye on a bunch of draft picks, trades, and free agent signings.

Oh, and I'm not saying their pennant-contending window is closing by any means. Yeah, I expect the Ricketts to pay big time to land Harper - especially after this wild card disappoinment. I'd imagine the Cubs have to be favorites to get him.
Old 10-03-2018, 10:23 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry
2. Call me crazy but I have a feeling they'll go after Harper.
Oh absolutely. The most bro-tastic turd in MLB was tailor-made for the outdoor frat house on Clark and Addison.
Old 10-03-2018, 10:24 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post
Boy was that cathartic.

I don’t think the Cubs landing Harper is as simple as throwing a gigantic check at him. They’d have to move a lot of pieces around. They’ve still got Heyward’s bloated contract for another 4 years. Schwarber would definitely have to be traded (likely for very little), as he’s pretty much confined to LF. Almora is their only center fielder, and a defensive outfield of Harper in CF and Schwarber in LF would be a disaster. Then, with Bryant, Baez, and Rizzo entrenched in the infield, you have exactly one spot between Happ, Zobrist, and Russell (who will eventually be back in the fold next year.

Not saying it won’t or can’t happen, but the logistics are a lot more difficult than most will imagine. Not to mention that after Hendricks and Lester and Q, their rotation is a bunch of expensive question marks. They’d have to do a whole lot to make it work and even then, the fact that Harper and Bryant grew up playing together is a fraction as meaningful as Cubs fans would have you believe. This ain’t the NBA. 2 or 3 players that get along do not a team make.
I think it lines up like this for them -

Harper is a must sign given the offensive problems, even though he isn't what they need.

OF will be Heyward in CF Harper in RF Schwarber in LF with Almora rotating in a long with Happ

IF - Russell is gone, traded or non tendered given this ordeal with him being a total piece of **** (if guilty of what he did).

Bryant - Baez - Zobrist/Happ - Rizzo

The interesting question is - can they Afford Harper AND keep Hamels. They may try and trade Schwarber but make taking Chatwood a requirement. I doubt they can unload Yu.

I also would not be shocked to see them try and bundle some parts and get a true lead off hitter.
Old 10-03-2018, 10:28 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post