White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #436  
Old 04-16-2019, 11:45 PM
A. Cavatica A. Cavatica is offline
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 7,334
Default

It was not a banner day in the minors. The good things were

(1) Charlotte coming back repeatedly against Gwinnett to win big in the 11th, but without much of anything from prospects. The biggest contributors were all organizational players (Guerrero, Tilson, Tucker, Delmonico, Escobar).

(2) Birmingham winning behind Lambert's quality start (despite 9 hits) and more offense from by the org guys;

(3) Luis Robert managed to raise his average by going 2 for 3, both singles, but was 1 of 2 in stolen base attempts.

Winston-Salem should have won their game but gave up 3 unearned runs. Kannapolis lost theirs on bad relief from Wilber Perez and Bennett Sousa.

It's a good thing the Sox won.
  #437  
Old 04-17-2019, 06:31 AM
Frater Perdurabo Frater Perdurabo is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 20,784
Blog Entries: 1
Default

I am not worried about the slow starts from our top prospects in Birmingham.

1. Regions Field is notorious for being the place where would-be home runs go to die;

2. Adolfo, Rutherford, and Gonzalez are all new to AA, and itís understandable they would need time to adjust, particularly since the jump from A+ to AA is the toughest jump in the minors (exceeded only by the difficulty of the jump from AAA to the majors);

3. 10 days of cold bats to start the season is more noticeable but ultimately less worrisome than 10 days of cold bats in the middle of the season.
__________________
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
  #438  
Old 04-17-2019, 10:37 AM
Hitmen77 Hitmen77 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 13,455
Default

Robert, Madrigal, and Walker keep on racking up the hits. Walker 2 for 4 last night with a double and a walk. He's got his average up to .333 with a .955 OPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
It was not a banner day in the minors. The good things were

(1) Charlotte coming back repeatedly against Gwinnett to win big in the 11th, but without much of anything from prospects. The biggest contributors were all organizational players (Guerrero, Tilson, Tucker, Delmonico, Escobar).

(2) Birmingham winning behind Lambert's quality start (despite 9 hits) and more offense from by the org guys;

(3) Luis Robert managed to raise his average by going 2 for 3, both singles, but was 1 of 2 in stolen base attempts.

Winston-Salem should have won their game but gave up 3 unearned runs. Kannapolis lost theirs on bad relief from Wilber Perez and Bennett Sousa.

It's a good thing the Sox won.
I was curious about this since his box score line looked good: 0.2 IP, 0 H, 0 BB, O R. It looks like Sousa came in with the bases loaded and 1 out in the inning. The first batter grounded into a fielders choice on the first pitch with a run scoring and then for the 2nd batter, he threw a wild pitch which let a run score before that batter grounded out on a 1-1 count to end the inning. Sousa has looked pretty decent so far this season, only 1 ER in 7.0 IP. 3 BB and 9 Ks in those 7 IPs.
  #439  
Old 04-17-2019, 04:16 PM
Hitmen77 Hitmen77 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 13,455
Default

Taylor Varnell with a good outing today and off to a good start at Kannapolis:
3 GS, 17.0 IP, 11 H, 3 ER, 2 BB, 22 K

He was the 29th round pick last June. So, not a top prospect by any means. Here's a look at him by South Side Sox from last August:
https://www.southsidesox.com/2018/8/...nell-white-sox
  #440  
Old 04-17-2019, 07:32 PM
LoveYourSuit LoveYourSuit is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 15,214
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Taylor Varnell with a good outing today and off to a good start at Kannapolis:
3 GS, 17.0 IP, 11 H, 3 ER, 2 BB, 22 K

He was the 29th round pick last June. So, not a top prospect by any means. Here's a look at him by South Side Sox from last August:
https://www.southsidesox.com/2018/8/...nell-white-sox
Good find.
  #441  
Old 04-17-2019, 08:30 PM
guillensdisciple guillensdisciple is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 18,103
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
I am not worried about the slow starts from our top prospects in Birmingham.

1. Regions Field is notorious for being the place where would-be home runs go to die;

2. Adolfo, Rutherford, and Gonzalez are all new to AA, and itís understandable they would need time to adjust, particularly since the jump from A+ to AA is the toughest jump in the minors (exceeded only by the difficulty of the jump from AAA to the majors);

3. 10 days of cold bats to start the season is more noticeable but ultimately less worrisome than 10 days of cold bats in the middle of the season.
I have a gut feeling Gonzalez will make it out of the glut of outfielders.
__________________
http://arsenalist.com/video/?id=xh2dx6

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
  #442  
Old 04-17-2019, 09:16 PM
A. Cavatica A. Cavatica is offline
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 7,334
Default

L. Gonzalez with his first home run today, but Booker is hogging all the hits: 3-4 with a homer and 3 RBI. Now up to .409 and looking like a candidate to displace Engel.

Forbes and A. Gonzalez had the other two hits by the Barons.

Best news of the night: Bernardo "Buehrlnardo" Flores cruised to a 5-0 lead, 81 pitches through 8 innings. ERA now at 0.56. Unfortunately Vizquel got cute and brought in Thompson instead of letting Flores close it out.
  #443  
Old 04-17-2019, 09:19 PM
GoSox2K3 GoSox2K3 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 2,598
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
I have a gut feeling Gonzalez will make it out of the glut of outfielders.
He's also a little older than the other two. I believe he's about a year older than Adolfo (and Basabe) and about 2 years older than Rutherford.
  #444  
Old 04-17-2019, 09:58 PM
voodoochile's Avatar
voodoochile voodoochile is online now
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 58,771
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Whatís Floresí story. I see heís only 23 and has been in the system 3 years already but card on MiLB.com shows he attended USC

Solid WHIP and ERA but K seem a bit low. Whatís he throw and what are his prospects?
__________________

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
  #445  
Old 04-17-2019, 10:08 PM
voodoochile's Avatar
voodoochile voodoochile is online now
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 58,771
Blog Entries: 9
Default

And good news Collins went 3/4 tonight with a double to raise his average to .250
  #446  
Old 04-17-2019, 10:18 PM
guillensdisciple guillensdisciple is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 18,103
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Whatís Floresí story. I see heís only 23 and has been in the system 3 years already but card on MiLB.com shows he attended USC

Solid WHIP and ERA but K seem a bit low. Whatís he throw and what are his prospects?
That's actually exactly his story. Great command but doesn't have great "stuff" so he does not have a high strikeout rate. He will live and die by the contact made.
  #447  
Old 04-17-2019, 10:20 PM
A. Cavatica A. Cavatica is offline
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 7,334
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Whatís Floresí story. I see heís only 23 and has been in the system 3 years already but card on MiLB.com shows he attended USC

Solid WHIP and ERA but K seem a bit low. Whatís he throw and what are his prospects?
OK to link to another site? See http://www.chicagonow.com/future-sox/bernardo-flores/ for a scouting report. They have him as our #23 prospect.

FanGraphs has him at #25.

MLB Pipeline doesn't have him in the top 30, which is an oversight considering they've had him listed before and he's been improving and moving up at the same rate as Jimmy Lambert.
  #448  
Old 04-17-2019, 10:21 PM
A. Cavatica A. Cavatica is offline
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 7,334
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
And good news Collins went 3/4 tonight with a double to raise his average to .250
His first three hits of the season that were not home runs, I think!
  #449  
Old 04-17-2019, 10:37 PM
voodoochile's Avatar
voodoochile voodoochile is online now
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 58,771
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
His first three hits of the season that were not home runs, I think!
Actually one of his previous hits was a triple.
  #450  
Old 04-17-2019, 11:57 PM
A. Cavatica A. Cavatica is offline
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 7,334
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Actually one of his previous hits was a triple.
Ah...the double and single today complete the April cycle.
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:43 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.