White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2019, 08:37 AM
WSI Personality

Default Juiced Baseballs

Justin Verlander says the MLB is absolutely juicing the baseballs and he all but calls Manfred a liar: https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...s-more-offense

I agree with him. Verlander is a really bright guy and he usually doesn't say something like this unless he can back it up. The 3 outcomes is rather boring. Home runs have been diluted to the point where 40-50 HR's becoming the norm for 1/3 of the league isn't great for the game. It isn't just the older fans who think this; I've interacted with many younger fans who think the exact same way. MLB probably does this for ratings and what not; I have no idea if that's actually working.

I'm a believer in advanced statistics and what not, but seeing hit and runs, suicide squeezes, etc are far more exciting than watching 5-4 games with 7 home runs.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:36 AM
WSI Church Elder

I'm sure that there are a combination of factors that, when added together, substantially increase the number of home runs hit. A change in the ball's composition is one item. I found this article fascinating: linky.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:07 AM
WSI Prelate

I, too, am a little put off by the increase in homers, the ridiculous increase in offense, and the resulting deterioration of pitching and situational play.

Not to mention that more offense = longer games that are already too goddamn long.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 07-09-2019, 11:26 AM
WSI Church Elder

A pitcher complaining about too many homeruns....wow, never heard that before! Anytime there is a burst of homeruns, pitchers complain. Was like that when they brought in the DH, was like that in 1987, was like that in 2000.

Verlander has given up 25 home runs this year, the most at All-Star break in his career which could be why he's complaining. But he's also 36 years old so that might have something to do with it.

Baseball is a game that evolves, if pitchers get an upper hand, hitters adjust. If hitters get an upper hand, pitchers adjust. My advice to MLB pitchers, stop throwing so many fast balls. Off speed pitches are harder to hit out. But until then, lets all blame the baseball!
Old 07-09-2019, 11:32 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishsox1 View Post
A pitcher complaining about too many homeruns....wow, never heard that before! Anytime there is a burst of homeruns, pitchers complain. Was like that when they brought in the DH, was like that in 1987, was like that in 2000.

Verlander has given up 25 home runs this year, the most at All-Star break in his career which could be why he's complaining. But he's also 36 years old so that might have something to do with it.

Baseball is a game that evolves, if pitchers get an upper hand, hitters adjust. If hitters get an upper hand, pitchers adjust. My advice to MLB pitchers, stop throwing so many fast balls. Off speed pitches are harder to hit out. But until then, lets all blame the baseball!
Are you saying you don't believe the baseball is juiced compared to where it was 10 year ago?

I admit I find that surprising.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 07-09-2019, 11:41 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishsox1 View Post

Verlander has played long enough to know what balls should do when they are hit well, not well, and everywhere in between. I believe him in this case.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:02 PM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
I, too, am a little put off by the increase in homers, the ridiculous increase in offense, and the resulting deterioration of pitching and situational play.

Not to mention that more offense = longer games that are already too goddamn long.
Agreed. I have no doubt that Manfred, or someone in MLB, made these changes to the baseball to try and increase home runs and in doing so, he just made the game more centered around a three true outcome approach, which I think actually makes the game a bit more boring.

I feel like every time baseball encounters a problem, they immediately turn to the home run to try to increase fan interest. This time they went too far and I think the game is longer and more boring than ever. I'd like to see them actually deaden the ball and find a way to have more hits and more defensive plays.

Go Sox!!!
Old 07-09-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
Verlander has played long enough to know what balls should do when they are hit well, not well, and everywhere in between. I believe him in this case.
Juiced ball passes my personal eye test. I've seen so many baseballs over the last couple years in particular that when they left the bat I thought, "routine flyball" only to watch it clear the wall easily. Guys don't even have to seriously barrel the ball anymore and it goes a LONG way and yes they are doing things to generate more power also, but I'd bet good money the ball is juiced.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:10 PM
WSI Personality

During one the Charlotte Knight broadcasts, they said AAA as a whole was on pace to hit 2000, yes 2000 more home runs this year than last. The difference is they are using MLB balls for the first time. I'd say they are juiced.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
Agreed. I have no doubt that Manfred, or someone in MLB, made these changes to the baseball to try and increase home runs and in doing so, he just made the game more centered around a three true outcome approach, which I think actually makes the game a bit more boring.

I feel like every time baseball encounters a problem, they immediately turn to the home run to try to increase fan interest. This time they went too far and I think the game is longer and more boring than ever. I'd like to see them actually deaden the ball and find a way to have more hits and more defensive plays.
They turned a blind eye to steroids to generate more HR thinking that a never ending string of HR records would get fans interested and it worked. When that plan fell through they simply juiced the ball instead.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
They turned a blind eye to steroids to generate more HR thinking that a never ending string of HR records would get fans interested and it worked. When that plan fell through they simply juiced the ball instead.
Yea, the Sosa and McGwire race got fans back into baseball and even attracted a whole bunch of casual fans as well. The problem is that it also permanently tainted some of baseball's most cherished records and while I don't think anyone is ever going to hit 70+ homers again, even if they did I think fans wouldn't be as interested because they'd naturally become more cynical about it.

So now they're getting steroid era level of home runs but without the fan enthusiasm and no one threatening records.

MLB needs to find a way to market the players and the game without emphasizing home runs. What makes Mike Trout and Christian Yelich so incredible isn't just that they hit a ton of homers, but that they are great fielders, they can steal bases if need be, they hit for average, etc. They need to figure out a way to market that kind of thing rather than JUST homers.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:39 PM
WSI High Priest

I think the juiced baseball makes the game alot more boring- I record Quick Pitch on MLB channel every morning- the highlights now are just home run after home run after home run- I miss the unique and quirky plays that used to make up the game.

I really wish they would take the ball from the late 70's/early 80's and implement quality control so that their supplier adheres to that standard for consistency and bring some balance back to the game.
Old 07-09-2019, 01:08 PM
WSI Personality

When Verlander speaks, MLB should listen. Whether the change in the baseball was an accident or on purpose from MLB, the ball is definitely different. It was interesting that MLB denied it, then came out and said, well maybe it is.

Look no further than the spike in HR's in AAA, using the same ball as MLB.

There is no denying it. The only thing that should be discussed now is whether MLB deliberately altered the ball in the manufacturing process to affect offense or was this an accidental occurrence.

CUBS SUCK

White Sox Fans, knowing more about baseball and the cubs than their own fans since 1901.
Old 07-09-2019, 01:11 PM
WSI High Priest

I think there's an increasing consensus among everyone but MLB leadership about the fact that a change in the composition of the ball explains a substantial portion of the increase in runs. Not necessarily all of the increase: some might be due to launch angles, a preference for three true outcomes players, pitchers no longer being able to get away with steroids, etc. But it's definitely a big part of the story.

Is it a bad thing? Maybe not. If homers get casual fans and non-fans more interested in baseball, it could pay off.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 07-09-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
I think there's an increasing consensus among everyone but MLB leadership about the fact that a change in the composition of the ball explains a substantial portion of the increase in runs. Not necessarily all of the increase: some might be due to launch angles, a preference for three true outcomes players, pitchers no longer being able to get away with steroids, etc. But it's definitely a big part of the story.

Is it a bad thing? Maybe not. If homers get casual fans and non-fans more interested in baseball, it could pay off.
There are a record number of homers being hit this year and I don't think there has been an increase in fan-interest.