GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2019, 11:45 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Congrats to Yolmer, great for him but I'm flabbergasted that a member of the White Sox would be awarded a Gold Glove based on what we have seen for years, glad to see that the people who voted on this have a very good knowledge of the game. The bad news is that Sanchez will probably will lose his job a a starter, my guess is that he will opt out for free agency. Too bad he's not that good with the bat.

2019 was a great year for some of our guys with individual accomplishments with TA winning the Batting Championship, Abreu leading the AL in RBI, Yoan and Giolito having very good years and Yolmer with the Gold Glove. 2020 is the year that the front office has to step up and sign premier free agents to complete the rebuild and become a contending franchise for years to come.
I don’t think he can be a FA until after 21 as long as we want to keep tendering him.

Last edited by KRS1; 11-04-2019 at 11:51 AM.
Old 11-04-2019, 12:07 PM
WSI High Priest

Congrats to Yolmer! Well deserved!
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."George Orwell
Old 11-04-2019, 12:09 PM
WSI Personality

Woo hoo!

Thanks for being an awesome ambassador Minnie!
Old 11-04-2019, 02:21 PM
WSI High Priest

I'm happy for Yolmer. Not only does he deserve it, but I'm confident winning this award means a lot more to Yolmer than it would have meant to either Altuve or DJ had one of them won it.

2019 Sox Attendance Tracker: 9-6
All time Sox Attendance Tracker:

286-247
Old 11-04-2019, 11:32 PM
WSI Church Elder

Sanchez had a nice recovery after a brutal first month or so on defense. That he won it given his ridiculously bad start doesn't speak well for the rest of the league. Kudos to the official scorers who protected him/gave gifts to hitters so his bad start wasn't so bad stat-wise.
Old 11-05-2019, 12:35 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
Sanchez had a nice recovery after a brutal first month or so on defense. That he won it given his ridiculously bad start doesn't speak well for the rest of the league. Kudos to the official scorers who protected him/gave gifts to hitters so his bad start wasn't so bad stat-wise.
Overall during his tenure, he has pretty much always been the best pure fielder we have. It’s entirely why he stuck around so young.

I’ve said it in other threads, he has definite value worthy of whatever arb he gets, right now. He can back up every IF position with Mendick as situational hitters and be part of a good group when Madrigal earns that 2b spot. Guys like that on contenders still get 450 ABs a year - which is probably right around what he should get.
Old 11-05-2019, 12:52 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
Overall during his tenure, he has pretty much always been the best pure fielder we have. It’s entirely why he stuck around so young.

I’ve said it in other threads, he has definite value worthy of whatever arb he gets, right now. He can back up every IF position with Mendick as situational hitters and be part of a good group when Madrigal earns that 2b spot. Guys like that on contenders still get 450 ABs a year - which is probably right around what he should get.
When Sanchez was first brought up, it didn't take long for me to consider him the best defensive second baseman I've seen play for the Sox (excluding Alomar since his time with us was so short). Unfortunately, he went from always hustling and being alert to being more interested in clowning. It's a wonderful achievement to win a Gold Glove, but he can and should be better. And his hitting just isn't good enough. His overall game is one reason the team's record has been poor for awhile now.
Old 11-05-2019, 01:50 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
When Sanchez was first brought up, it didn't take long for me to consider him the best defensive second baseman I've seen play for the Sox (excluding Alomar since his time with us was so short). Unfortunately, he went from always hustling and being alert to being more interested in clowning. It's a wonderful achievement to win a Gold Glove, but he can and should be better. And his hitting just isn't good enough. His overall game is one reason the team's record has been poor for awhile now.
Every team needs good, reliable utility infielders. I happen to like the joy in his game.
Old 11-05-2019, 04:39 AM
WSI Church Elder

One of the things that i truly love about the game of baseball, is watching great defense, and except for an extremely brief blip on the radar in April, Yolmer has been providing that all season long . Congratulations on a job well done!!
Old 11-05-2019, 08:57 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
He “clowned” no more during the beginning of this season than he did at any point last season. In fact, it seemed that he “clowned” less this season. If I remember correctly, I read that he was dealing with some family issues early in the season.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:31 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
He “clowned” no more during the beginning of this season than he did at any point last season. In fact, it seemed that he “clowned” less this season. If I remember correctly, I read that he was dealing with some family issues early in the season.
He also had to adjust back to playing 2B, even though he's had a lot of experience there it still might have helped to get game reps under his belt. I hadn't heard that about his family issues, I wonder if that affected his hitting as well which was a career worst.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:50 PM
WSI Regular

Congratulations to Yolmer for being recognized as an ace glove man at second base. I've always appreciated his hustle and versatility, as well as his fun approach to the game.

Unfortunately, when the rebuild kicks in I'm afraid he won't be a member of the White Sox. With Madrigal waiting in the wings, I expect the Sox to rely on Leurie Garcia as their main utility player because he has proven he can play both outfield and infield positions and he provides a little more pop with his bat.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:18 PM
WSI High Priest

To many more!
Old 11-06-2019, 03:07 AM
WSI Personality

2019 we had a mediocre record but now adding Sanchez GG honor to TA, Jose, and Giolito in the Cy conversation (tho won't win it this year....) tells me 2020 is just a couple months away.
Old 11-08-2019, 07:06 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
Yes, he did clown less this season, but he was still a clown. His attitude is one reason why the White Sox have been way too comfortable with poor records in recent years. His overall performance on the field and that he's played so much given that performance is one indication why the team has been so bad. And, in my opinion, Sanchez has not reached his potential because he has devoted too much of his time to clowning. I do believe he had the chance to be even better in the field, though that's no doubt his strength. Offensively, he's just wallowed in sub-standard production without making any real changes to improve and increase the team's chances of winning. He should be a much better bunter, for instance, and bunting for a hit should be in his arsenal, especially given his sub-standard average, but apparently that's beneath him. As far as I'm concerned, he can take his Mickey Mouse ears elsewhere, if anyone wants them.