GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2019, 05:16 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default Abreu Accepts QO - Update: 3 years $50M contract

Abreu accepts 1yr, $17.8M qualifying offer, per Mark Feinsand. If someone could link source, it would be appreciated. Posting from my phone.
Old 11-14-2019, 05:20 PM
Co-Winner WSI 2018 NFL Pick'em Contest

https://chicago.suntimes.com/white-s...cago-white-sox
Old 11-14-2019, 05:30 PM
WSI Guru

Glad he will be back. He's still got something left in the tank, and it can only help the Sox make progress if he comes close to replicating what he's done.
Old 11-14-2019, 05:35 PM
WSI Church Elder

Strikes me as an overpay for 2020, but not an absurd overpay, and provides stability for 2020 and maintains flexibility for 2021 and beyond. Seems to make sense for both sides.
Old 11-14-2019, 05:35 PM

Sounds like the Sox are still trying to work out a 2-3 year deal with Jose. I wouldn't mind if they just bring him back year after year on 1 year deals until he completely regresses at the plate. He can still mash at the plate, his teammates love him, and the guy deserves to be here when the team gets good.
Old 11-14-2019, 06:11 PM
WSI Church Elder

Nicely done, Sox!

Even the MLB Network a day or two ago mentioned how under-the-radar but damn good Abreu is. All the man does is put up solid numbers.

There's one. Keep signing people, Mr. Hahn. This has to be only the start.

I'd be good with an Abreu/Moustakas DH/1B platoon next season. Just a suggestion.
Old 11-14-2019, 06:14 PM
WSI Church Elder

I for one am very happy that he is coming back!! Hope that the Sox can work something out reasonable for both sides for a two or three year deal.
Old 11-14-2019, 07:15 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiersoxfan View Post
Sounds like the Sox are still trying to work out a 2-3 year deal with Jose. I wouldn't mind if they just bring him back year after year on 1 year deals until he completely regresses at the plate. He can still mash at the plate, his teammates love him, and the guy deserves to be here when the team gets good.
Agreed 3 years $42M with $34M Guaranteed - 15/14/13 (club option with 5M buyout).

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 11-14-2019, 08:22 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Agreed 3 years $42M with $34M Guaranteed - 15/14/13 (club option with 5M buyout).
He destroyed LHP last year, but against RHP he had a slightly less than league average 99 RC+.

Iím content to go year to year with him, with Sheets having shown solid power in AA and likely to start 2020 in Charlotte, meaning Vaughn probably starts 2020 in Birmingham. Along with Collins, the Sox have multiple young cheap candidates to compete to provide 1B/DH power as soon as 2021, so it would be more efficient to use the savings to invest in the rotation and perhaps at catcher (Grandal?).

Abreu accepting the QO is best for the Sox.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 11-14-2019, 08:27 PM
WSI High Priest

Fantastic outcome. Vaughn should be ready for 2021. Now go and get two more hitters.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 11-14-2019, 10:45 PM
WSI Prelate

Not thrilled with this, 17 mil could be better spent elsewhere. Its fine, but for a super cheap team already, this is going to take us out on most of the big FA. We needed to get him on like a 3/30 deal. Alot of money for a sub 3 WAR 1b. I really like the guy, but hate the dollars.
Old 11-14-2019, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Not thrilled with this, 17 mil could be better spent elsewhere. Its fine, but for a super cheap team already, this is going to take us out on most of the big FA. We needed to get him on like a 3/30 deal. Alot of money for a sub 3 WAR 1b. I really like the guy, but hate the dollars.
I don't think this will have any impact at all on what the Sox were planning to offer the free agents we would actually want on the team. What those amounts are from even before Abreu signed I have no clue.
Old 11-14-2019, 11:06 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiersoxfan View Post
I don't think this will have any impact at all on what the Sox were planning to offer the free agents we would actually want on the team. What those amounts are from even before Abreu signed I have no clue.
Figure the Sox are aiming for the usual 80 ish mil payroll, Abreu gives us like a 60-66 mil payroll if you believe the arbitration estimates. So now weíre looking at 20-25 mil to spend to fill the entire roster. Thatís not even enough for any tier 1 guys. Even if we push it big to 100 mil, no sure thing at all with JR, the dollars are no longer there because of Abreu and Herrera
Old 11-14-2019, 11:09 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Iím not worried about him earning that money, and itís one season. Heís earned a chance to lead this team into the next era, IMHO, and itís only +$1M over last yearís salary.

Also, Iím fairly confident this signals willingness from both sides to get something long-term done. The ďworth more to youĒ idea isnít something Iím in league with, but itís perpetuated for a reason and you're not getting that player for $10M a year.

Anyway, I really like Jose and think he stands a chance to age well. Not to mention immediate replacement alternatives cost us resources greater than money and it doesnít add but a mil to last seasonís paltry payroll.

My guess is he gets 3/45, but Iím equally fine paying him now and telling him he can test his market value next year if really thinks heís going to get better than what we offer, elsewhere.
Old 11-14-2019, 11:41 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Agreed on all counts.

Itís definitely an overpay, and for this penny-pinching bunch, there is an opportunity cost involved.
Closed Thread