Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2019, 02:46 PM
WSI Prelate

Default PipeDream: If you could take back one move . . . ?

While we drudge through yet another offseason, I thought this may be a nice conversation thread. If you could take back one move (trade / FA signing / hiring firing / etc) in the history of the Franchise what would it be?

This is a tough one for me, but as much as I absolutely loved Jim Thome and that deal to acquire him after the World Series in 2005, I still have bad feelings about letting Frank Thomas walk that offseason. If ever there was a player to have been a White Sox for life, it should have been him.
Old 11-19-2019, 02:51 PM
WSI High Priest

Obviously Tatis for Shields. Congrats you've just started another thread about that trade.

Assuming that one is retired (the way Arizona State can no longer win best party school), I would probably do a fire sale in late July of 2009.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 11-19-2019, 03:05 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Bobby Bonilla.

Shoulda kept him.

Old 11-19-2019, 03:07 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
Obviously Tatis for Shields.....
I second the Tatis jr boneheaded move. Not only for losing Tatis but now we might own the "stupidest trade ever" award surpassing the Cubs Lou Brock for Ernie Broglio blunder.
Old 11-19-2019, 03:10 PM
WSI High Priest

After the 1959 season when Veeck traded Norm Cash along with John Romano and Bubba Phillips to the Indians for Minnie Minoso and a couple of journeymen. At the time it was great to have Minnie back on the Southside but he was aging and had a fine season in 1960 but started to decline after that. Cash and Romano went on to have very good careers with Cash hitting almost 400 homers and winning a Batting Championship.

Veeck made 2 other clunker trades that off season trading away Earl Battey and Don Mincher to the old Senators for aging Roy Sievers and swapping Johnny Callison to the Phillies for Gene Freese.

Those 3 trades are probably the worst in Sox history.

What is amazing dispite those trades is that in a few years the Sox went on a roll in 63, 64 and 65 and IIRC won more games than any other team in MLB with 287 wins (94,98,95) but finished second all 3 years. This was accomplished with GM Ed Short making some very good trades bringing guys like Tommy John, Hoyt Wilhelm, Pete Ward and Juan Pizzaro to Comiskey Park.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 11-19-2019 at 03:20 PM.
Old 11-19-2019, 03:11 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Obviously Tatis for Shields. Congrats you've just started another thread about that trade.

Assuming that one is retired (the way Arizona State can no longer win best party school), I would probably do a fire sale in late July of 2009.
I’m sure that will be in there, since that is obviously freshest in everyone’s memory. But there are many other moves in the history of this franchise that I’m sure many fans wish they could take back such as Disco Demolition, the hiring of Robin Ventura, the signing of Adam Dunn, etc.
Old 11-19-2019, 03:18 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
I second the Tatis jr boneheaded move. Not only for losing Tatis but now we might own the "stupidest trade ever" award surpassing the Cubs Lou Brock for Ernie Broglio blunder.
Why was that a dumb move? At the time of the trade, Tatis was not on anyone's radar. He only had a name, but had not shown anything to go with his name.

20/20 does not make a deal a bad one.
Old 11-19-2019, 03:26 PM
WSI Prelate

Obviously the Shields deal is there, although it won't get the the Padres to the World Series the way Lou Brock did the Cardinals after the Cubs trade. I don't know what would have happened to the White Sox if they hadn't traded Tatis.

But they might be in better position with fans in Chicago if they had signed Scott Feldman after the 2012 season. That move very well could have kept the Cubs from winning the 2016 World Series. Maybe the White Sox could have gotten something for Feldman at the trade deadline. Maybe the Cubs could have prevented the White Sox from winning the 2005 World Series by going somewhere other than Karchner for relief with Garland as the price. Garland's career year was huge for the White Sox.

You really don't know what would happen if you take back a move or you change the past in a slight way, as Ray Bradbury discusses in A Sound of Thunder and Harlan Ellison put forth in the Outer Limits, only to be stolen for the the Terminator franchise. Every decision leads to different futures, not just the obvious ones, like the Phillies drafting Simeon High School outfield Jeff Jackson with the fourth pick in 1989 before the White Sox picked Auburn slugger Frank Thomas.
Old 11-19-2019, 03:59 PM
WSI High Priest

Firing Tony LaRussa -- or hiring Hawk to be GM (who then fired LaRussa).

2019 Sox Attendance Tracker: 9-6
All time Sox Attendance Tracker:

286-247
Old 11-19-2019, 04:06 PM
Co-Winner WSI 2018 NFL Pick'em Contest

How about trading Sammy Sosa? I know the steroids led to everything and he ended up being a complete jackass but he gave Cubs fans so many years of excitement. Imagine how many more home runs Frank would have had with Sammy batting behind him throughout his prime years.
Old 11-19-2019, 04:15 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post

You could go back to firing Roland Hemond, which led to hiring Ken Harrelson as GM which led to firing Tony LaRussa. I was talking about that with my wife Saturday when we visited Tony LaRussa's Animal Rescue Foundation thrift store in Concord, California.

If you don't fire Hemond or LaRussa, you probably don't trade Baines for Sosa, and Sosa probably doesn't end up in Chicago.
Old 11-19-2019, 05:59 PM
WSI Prelate

Here's another one I just recalled:

Letting John Rooney walk in 2005. God, the radio broadcast has never been the same ever since.
Old 11-19-2019, 06:00 PM
WSI Prelate

Easy. Signing Jaime Navarro.

It ended so poorly that Reinsdorf hasnít signed a free agent starter to a larger contract since.
Old 11-19-2019, 06:04 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Why was that a dumb move? At the time of the trade, Tatis was not on anyone's radar. He only had a name, but had not shown anything to go with his name.

20/20 does not make a deal a bad one.
I gotta give credit where credit is due on this one. Tragg said that getting rid of Tatis would bite the Sox in the ass even before Shieldsís flight landed.
Old 11-19-2019, 06:06 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
This has to be up there. Both were bone headed moves.