GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2018, 06:58 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by shes View Post
If this is the case then I imagine it's just a matter of time. .342/.392/.616 and a K% in single digits in AAA. Even better numbers than his obliteration of AA pitching. No one hits like that and doesn't get called up unless there's some service time garbage going on. I guess it's possible the Sox are having internal discussions about whether or not to pull a Bryant on him. I really hope they don't. Years later, with an MVP and WS ring under his belt, Bryant still talks about his frustrations with that. Why risk pissing off someone like Eloy, who you want to be a cornerstone here for the next decade, to save a few million bucks?
Or maybe, just maybe, the Sox have a development in place with certain metrics that need to be met at every level before a promotion occurs. So even someone like Eloy has to check off all the boxes before being promoted. It would send a message throughout the entire organization that even if you are an immense talent you need to meet all the requirements before being called up. I don't think that's a bad thing.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:04 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
I dont buy the clubhouse leader also, maybe for the latin players but not for the whole team.
Why do you not believe that he is a clubhouse leader? Why do you think Abreu is a leader only for the Latin players?
Old 07-23-2018, 08:12 AM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
Why do you think Abreu is a leader only for the Latin players?

I would think the language problem would make it difficult to be a team leader among all players.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:23 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
I dont buy the clubhouse leader also, maybe for the latin players but not for the whole team.

Sox haven't had a real leader in the clubhouse since Drake LaRoche.

275-238.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:35 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Or maybe, just maybe, the Sox have a development in place with certain metrics that need to be met at every level before a promotion occurs. So even someone like Eloy has to check off all the boxes before being promoted. It would send a message throughout the entire organization that even if you are an immense talent you need to meet all the requirements before being called up. I don't think that's a bad thing.
Agreed. And it might not even be his hitting; maybe they want him to improve his defense. Maybe they want him to be good enough to play center.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:59 AM
WSI Prelate

The team is 34-64.
Certainly can't afford to lose a leader off of this juggernaut.
I guess that sounds flippant, but it's true. There is no team to lead, players are floundering; I suspect they'll do no worse without papa.
It's also patronizing as hell to the players.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:50 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
The team is 34-64.
Certainly can't afford to lose a leader off of this juggernaut.
I guess that sounds flippant, but it's true. There is no team to lead, players are floundering; I suspect they'll do no worse without papa.
It's also patronizing as hell to the players.
What, exactly, is patronizing to the players?
Old 07-23-2018, 09:56 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Nothing. More spilled milk.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 07-23-2018, 10:01 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
The notion that they need a leader in order to function.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:06 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

I guess he is the Missing Puzzle Piece this season. If he broke SP with the team, the Sox would be 97-1 right now (don't want to be overly optimistic that they would run the table through today).

Get his ass up here so we can finish 98-64.

Old 07-23-2018, 10:14 AM
WSI Church Elder

Leadership is a real thing, and yes, you need it.

Abreu is the only player on the White Sox roster who's played more than 800 major league games. Think about that for a second.

Baseball is a game of ups and downs, and the psychological does play a big part of it. You need someone who's been there before, plain and simple. And no, coaches can't be all of it. Imagine any workplace environment, much less one with the pressure of professional sports. You're in your early 20s. So is everyone else there. You've been on the job for maybe two or three years, tops. So has everybody else. A third to a half of the office are temps who have only been there for months and probably won't be there after a few more. The only other people with more experience than that are your bosses.

That kind of environment would probably be an unmitigated disaster for any functional workplace. This is one of those situations where the transitive property does apply to the non-entertainment business, I think. Lets be realistic here. Just because they're professionals who are really good at a sport doesn't mean it's patronizing to assume they need leadership. They're human, and young humans, for the most part. Does anybody else think they would have had whatever they were doing for a living totally figured out by themselves at age 22 or 23 or 24? I don't think that's very reasonable to expect, even for these special folks.

That's a bit of a hijack, I guess. As per usual, I think this is a lot of hand wringing because there's nothing else to talk about outside of bad White Sox baseball. Maybe they want to let him come back down to earth at AAA before throwing him into the major league gauntlet. Who knows. He'll be a star or he won't be, but if he isn't, it won't be because they held him back in AAA for an extra month or two.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:05 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post

Abreu is the only player on the White Sox roster who's played more than 800 major league games. Think about that for a second.

Baseball is a game of ups and downs, and the psychological does play a big part of it. You need someone who's been there before, plain and simple. And no, coaches can't be all of it. Imagine any workplace environment, much less one with the pressure of professional sports. You're in your early 20s. So is everyone else there. You've been on the job for maybe two or three years, tops. So has everybody else. A third to a half of the office are temps who have only been there for months and probably won't be there after a few more. The only other people with more experience than that are your bosses.

That kind of environment would probably be an unmitigated disaster for any functional workplace. This is one of those situations where the transitive property does apply to the non-entertainment business, I think. Lets be realistic here. Just because they're professionals who are really good at a sport doesn't mean it's patronizing to assume they need leadership. They're human, and young humans, for the most part. Does anybody else think they would have had whatever they were doing for a living totally figured out by themselves at age 22 or 23 or 24? I don't think that's very reasonable to expect, even for these special folks.

That's a bit of a hijack, I guess. As per usual, I think this is a lot of hand wringing because there's nothing else to talk about outside of bad White Sox baseball. Maybe they want to let him come back down to earth at AAA before throwing him into the major league gauntlet. Who knows. He'll be a star or he won't be, but if he isn't, it won't be because they held him back in AAA for an extra month or two.
Well said on all points.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Old 07-23-2018, 01:57 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post
Agreed. Look at the Astros new book and read the chapters on why they got Carlos Beltran as well as what he actively did in that clubhouse to help teammates and bring them together.

You can't measure it but it is damn important to the success of a club, especially when things get rough on the field.

Last edited by voodoochile; 07-23-2018 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-23-2018, 03:01 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
The notion that they need a leader in order to function.
Captains/team leaders are ubiquitous across all sports at all levels of play.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 07-23-2018, 03:33 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Captains/team leaders are ubiquitous across all sports at all levels of play.
Of course they are.
But you don't make personnel judgments based on whether someone is a leader...it's based on whether they can play. How many times do we have to hear about how someone is a great leader, or, even worse "good in the clubhouse"...
Leadership is organic.