White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2019, 09:53 AM
WSI Church Elder

Default Farewell Globe Life Park

The Rangers played their final game at Globe Life Park (originally "The Ballpark at Arlington") after only 26 seasons. Next year, they move next door to a new ballpark (Globe Life Field) with a retractable roof, air conditioning, and an artificial playing surface.
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/2019...rs-final-game/
https://www.star-telegram.com/sports...235603912.html

The current ballpark structure will remain and will be the home of an XFL team and may also host soccer and HS football.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/barrymb.../#6c416b3b7052
Old 09-30-2019, 09:55 AM
WSI High Priest

The most unique center field view in all of baseball.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 09-30-2019, 11:02 AM
WSI High Priest

A buddy and I went down there for an April series vs. the White Sox the year this opened- hard to believe it's closing already.

Stadium itself looks good- but artificial turf? Yuck.
Old 09-30-2019, 01:48 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
A buddy and I went down there for an April series vs. the White Sox the year this opened- hard to believe it's closing already.

The stadium is irrelevant if it has artificial turf.

Maybe they should enclose the seating in glass so the fans can be air conditioned while the players play on a decent field. That's probably a better alternative to extending netting anyway.
Old 09-30-2019, 03:22 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post

I agree, but unfortunately it looks like the dream of eventually ridding MLB of artificial turf is over. The Diamondbacks installed an artificial playing surface at Chase Field last off-season. So, MLB will have 4 fake grass playing surfaces next season.
Old 09-30-2019, 04:23 PM
WSI Personality

I feel old with that stadium in Texas closing already.
Old 10-01-2019, 01:29 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdog1017 View Post
And the stadium in Atlanta closed, and that was even younger.
Old 10-01-2019, 02:32 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdog1017 View Post
That's nothing compared to feeling old because you remember the first season of the ballpark before the current ballpark, nestled between the original Six Flags (it's part of Texas history, come out and bring the family, the television commercial demanded of us) and a now-long-defunct marine-life park called Seven Seas from which the continual calliope music drifted over the center-field wall and the huge scoreboard in the shape of Texas, the lineups running through the panhandle. There was no netting, only free standing screens behind home plate at two levels of lower-deck seating. Ted Williams was managing and Nellie Fox was one of his coaches. And we liked it, I can hear a Dana Carvey character insisting. The memory of the women working as ushers wearing cowboy hats may not be accurate. Really, feeling old because you are old is different.

I think most of the major league parks I've been to no longer exist. Maybe some sleepless night I will figure that one out as an alternative to counting sheep. Texas will be at least the third park to be replaced after it replaced a park where I saw major league baseball. I haven't seen baseball in Pittsburgh since Roberto Clemente was playing right field in Forbes Field. And I saw the seat where Harmon Killebrew hit a mammoth home run when it was part of an actual upper deck and not surrounded by the Mall of America, assuming that the Mall of America still exists.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:10 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
That's nothing compared to feeling old because you remember the first season of the ballpark before the current ballpark, nestled between the original Six Flags (it's part of Texas history, come out and bring the family, the television commercial demanded of us) and a now-long-defunct marine-life park called Seven Seas from which the continual calliope music drifted over the center-field wall and the huge scoreboard in the shape of Texas, the lineups running through the panhandle. There was no netting, only free standing screens behind home plate at two levels of lower-deck seating. Ted Williams was managing and Nellie Fox was one of his coaches. And we liked it, I can hear a Dana Carvey character insisting. The memory of the women working as ushers wearing cowboy hats may not be accurate. Really, feeling old because you are old is different.

I think most of the major league parks I've been to no longer exist. Maybe some sleepless night I will figure that one out as an alternative to counting sheep. Texas will be at least the third park to be replaced after it replaced a park where I saw major league baseball. I haven't seen baseball in Pittsburgh since Roberto Clemente was playing right field in Forbes Field. And I saw the seat where Harmon Killebrew hit a mammoth home run when it was part of an actual upper deck and not surrounded by the Mall of America, assuming that the Mall of America still exists.
The Mall of America has been replaced by a new mall that has netting.

2019 Sox Attendance Tracker: 9-6
All time Sox Attendance Tracker:

286-247
Old 10-01-2019, 08:29 AM
WSI High Priest

What wrong with these parks? That makes two that are younger than GRF that have closed.
Old 10-01-2019, 10:25 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railsplitter View Post

What wrong with these parks? That makes two that are younger than GRF that have closed.
Turner Field was sold to Georgia State, refitted for football and is now used for their football games. Nothing structurally wrong. The Braves had a lease with the public entity that owned the park (it was built for the 1996 Olympics, then tuned over to a sports authority) and the team wanted out. Among other things, they wanted big bucks for renovations and improvements, which the mayor said Atlanta could not afford, and the team could not control development around the park, including parking, could not sell naming rights, etc. They got a new stadium built for them in unincorporated Cobb County, in the suburbs.

I went to Turner Field in 2007 to see the Sox play the Braves in one of those "last games of spring training." Paid ten bucks to park. I think it's now $40 to park at SunTrust.
Old 10-01-2019, 10:29 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxandtheCityTee View Post
Turner Field was sold to Georgia State, refitted for football and is now used for their football games. Nothing structurally wrong. The Braves had a lease with the public entity that owned the park (it was built for the 1996 Olympics, then tuned over to a sports authority) and the team wanted out. Among other things, they wanted big bucks for renovations and improvements, which the mayor said Atlanta could not afford, and the team could not control development around the park, including parking, could not sell naming rights, etc. They got a new stadium built for them in unincorporated Cobb County, in the suburbs.

I went to Turner Field in 2007 to see the Sox play the Braves in one of those "last games of spring training." Paid ten bucks to park. I think it's now $40 to park at SunTrust.
When I attended the 96 Olympics there, I found parking on a private lawn 2 blocks from the stadium for $10! No joke. I still marvel at that. Here in the DC area, that same scenario would have you paying $50 at the bare minimum.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." ó George Orwell
Old 10-01-2019, 01:45 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railsplitter View Post

The big issue with Globe Life Park was not having a retractable roof for the Dallas area's blazing hot summers.
https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/ra...-for-the-roof/

If that really is a big issue, were retractable roofs not available when they built in in the first place? Skydome opened in 1989 and Chase Field opened in 1998. They've been playing at Arlington since 1972, so the weather conditions for games weren't exactly a surprise when the current park was built in '94.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:07 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitmen77 View Post
the big issue with globe life park was not having a retractable roof for the dallas area's blazing hot summers.

if that really is a big issue, were retractable roofs not available when they built in in the first place? Skydome opened in 1989 and chase field opened in 1998. They've been playing at arlington since 1972, so the weather conditions for games weren't exactly a surprise when the current park was built in '94.
bingo
Old 10-02-2019, 02:16 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxandtheCityTee View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
The big issue with Globe Life Park was not having a retractable roof for the Dallas area's blazing hot summers.

If that really is a big issue, were retractable roofs not available when they built in in the first place? Skydome opened in 1989 and Chase Field opened in 1998. They've been playing at Arlington since 1972, so the weather conditions for games weren't exactly a surprise when the current park was built in '94.

I was afraid there was some lame reason, like somebody didn't like the looks of the places.