White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Most Improved White Sox player from last season?
Lucas Giolito 34 64.15%
Yoan Moncada 10 18.87%
Tim Anderson 8 15.09%
Churro guy 1 1.89%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-30-2019, 11:20 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
We're forgetting about Bummer. He went from a guy who was learning on the job (and hanging on by a thread) to our best reliever.
Good point. Bummer was consistently excellent in 2019 after his recall. In 2018, it seemed like he allowed every inherited runner to score.

2019 Sox Attendance Tracker: 9-6
All time Sox Attendance Tracker:

286-247
Old 10-01-2019, 01:27 AM
WSI Guru

I had lost hope for Giolito ever being more than an average pitcher. Glad all that offseason neurotherapy and work with his high school coach paid off.
Old 10-01-2019, 12:07 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

I voted for Lucas only because he went from worse to almost first in overall performance. Moncada is a close second.

Last year and during the off-season I posted several times that Giolito was a "Sandy Koufax moment" waiting to happen. Last year and the year before, he showed some flashes of the potential Hahn traded for. I felt he just needed a little nudge in the right direction (like Koufax got one day on the bus from his Catcher) to become Cy Giolito. He got the nudge and looked what happened.

Old 10-01-2019, 12:20 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
I voted for Lucas only because he went from worse to almost first in overall performance. Moncada is a close second.

Last year and during the off-season I posted several times that Giolito was a "Sandy Koufax moment" waiting to happen. Last year and the year before, he showed some flashes of the potential Hahn traded for. I felt he just needed a little nudge in the right direction (like Koufax got one day on the bus from his Catcher) to become Cy Giolito. He got the nudge and looked what happened.
Except Giolito went through a pretty major physical overhaul of his delivery. It wasn’t just a mental or psychological thing. Moreover, that physical overhaul took place because of advice from outside the organization. He also ditched his cutter, which was getting crushed with regularity.

Let’s just say that I don’t think it’s a coincidence that Giolito completely turned it around while Lopez and Fulmer continued to struggle.

1) Giolito never caught the mechanical problem with his delivery until the offseason, when he was away from the team.

2) Giolito never made the decision to ditch his meatball-prone cutter until the offseason, when he was away from the team.

Maybe the other struggling guys should be equally proactive in seeking second opinions during the offseason. Or, maybe this team should not be so ****ing smugly self-satisfied with the ****show going on in its dugout on a daily basis.
Old 10-01-2019, 12:24 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Except Giolito went through a pretty major physical overhaul of his delivery. It wasnít just a mental or psychological thing.
Same is true of Koufax. His Catcher said "try this instead of that which you keep doing." Koufax made the adjustment and four no hitters and a gazillion strike outs later, he is considered one of the best ever.
Old 10-01-2019, 05:28 PM
WSI Church Elder

Had the crispiest piping hot churros of my life this year. The cinnamon-sugar balance was sublime and the twinkle of the vendor's eye was simply infectious.
Old 10-01-2019, 05:41 PM
WSI Church Elder

Giolito might be the most improved player of the century. He's a literal worst to first candidate all by himself. He'll be a unanimous selection this year.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:19 PM
WSI High Priest

I have to go with a 3 way tie, they all made great improvements. I guess if I had to pick one it would be Yoan. I was really down on him after all the Ks last year but to bat .315 with 25 homers and 79 RBI along with doing a very good at job at 3B showed me a lot. I think he's on his way to an All Star caliber career.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 10-01-2019 at 06:37 PM.
Old 10-03-2019, 04:32 PM
WSI Church Elder

Very tough call but I voted for Giolito. Would have been comfortable voting for any of the choices.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:43 PM
WSI Regular

I was ready to call Moncada a bust by mid-July last year so I voted for him.