White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2019, 08:22 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
In my dream situation we can get JD Martinez. I am hoping we get Andrew Vaughn in the draft and he is our long term answer at 1b.

While he is a really sad consolation prize to this offseason, Rendon could be a good sign if you can convince him to move to first.

Eloy seems destined to DH sooner than later.

1b is not a hard position to fill, so you don't need to spend a ton on it (which is kind of counter to Rendon). If Abreu keeps declining, paying him 15-18 per is just a total waste of money. While I like him, he has fallen completely off a cliff.

There is also going to be value in the trade markets at first base.

Another name I love is Luken Baker, who may be in play from St. Louis with the Goldy extension. He may be a year away and not ready next year but the kid has all kinds of potential.

I don't think we have out future 1b in our farm. I don't think Collins is going to be a major league bat and his glove is not going to stay at C, but a 1b can't hit .220. Sheets has shown zero and his power has not come. I would not be shocked if we end up with 3 quality OF to see one shifted there. I will say, Burger is a wild card, I have zero idea what to expect from him, but its really hard to lose a year of offensive development.
I sure hope Eloy is the future DH because he's a big liability in the outfield. I'm a pro-DH, AL guy but there's no reason why any major league ballplayer can't shag routine fly balls. I'd bet most pitchers could probably play outfield defense better than he can. I'm doubting he can even play 1B.

I agree with what you've written here. If Gavin Sheets just had average power we'd be sitting pretty for 1B. I don't see the first baseman of the future anywhere on this team right now unless they think someone like Adolfo can make the switch.

The 2021 FA market for 1B isn't there either, unless Anthony Rizzo is somehow not on the Cubs.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:14 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
In my dream situation we can get JD Martinez. I am hoping we get Andrew Vaughn in the draft and he is our long term answer at 1b.

While he is a really sad consolation prize to this offseason, Rendon could be a good sign if you can convince him to move to first.

1b is not a hard position to fill, so you don't need to spend a ton on it (which is kind of counter to Rendon). If Abreu keeps declining, paying him 15-18 per is just a total waste of money. While I like him, he has fallen completely off a cliff.

Another name I love is Luken Baker, who may be in play from St. Louis with the Goldy extension. He may be a year away and not ready next year but the kid has all kinds of potential.

I don't think we have out future 1b in our farm. I don't think Collins is going to be a major league bat and his glove is not going to stay at C, but a 1b can't hit .220. Sheets has shown zero and his power has not come. I would not be shocked if we end up with 3 quality OF to see one shifted there. I will say, Burger is a wild card, I have zero idea what to expect from him, but its really hard to lose a year of offensive development.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
I sure hope Eloy is the future DH because he's a big liability in the outfield. I'm a pro-DH, AL guy but there's no reason why any major league ballplayer can't shag routine fly balls. I'd bet most pitchers could probably play outfield defense better than he can. I'm doubting he can even play 1B.

I agree with what you've written here. If Gavin Sheets just had average power we'd be sitting pretty for 1B. I don't see the first baseman of the future anywhere on this team right now unless they think someone like Adolfo can make the switch.

The 2021 FA market for 1B isn't there either, unless Anthony Rizzo is somehow not on the Cubs.

I'm willing to wait and see if Sheets can add XBH power this year before writing him off. He's a big guy, so if he can make solid contact, I'm still confident that he can add HR power as he makes his way up the system. The caveat is that Birmingham plays in a pitchers' park, so we might not see a ton of HRs from him this year even if he starts hitting for power. If he never develops power, then yes he'll never be a viable MLB player. He's acknowledged this himself in an offseason podcast interview.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:32 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
I'm willing to wait and see if Sheets can add XBH power this year before writing him off. He's a big guy, so if he can make solid contact, I'm still confident that he can add HR power as he makes his way up the system. The caveat is that Birmingham plays in a pitchers' park, so we might not see a ton of HRs from him this year even if he starts hitting for power. If he never develops power, then yes he'll never be a viable MLB player. He's acknowledged this himself in an offseason podcast interview.

Regions Field's park factor is precisely why I don't put much stock in low HR totals for our AA prospects.

If Sheets hits for .280+ average, a bunch of doubles, gets on base and doesn't strike out a ton, then as far as I'm concerned he will earn a promotion to Charlotte for 2020.

Then, I would expect the HR power to emerge. If HR power doesn't emerge at Charlotte, then it's a problem.

As far as the question at hand, if Eloy doesn't improve as an outfielder, and provided that enough Sox OF prospects emerge as viable major OFs, then I'd support trying Eloy at 1B, on in the 1B/DH mix.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 04-22-2019, 02:43 PM
WSI Personality

There are lots of options at 1B both in and out of the organization. The rumored offers for an Abreu-caliber 1B last year were peanuts. Worst comes to worst, we can give up a mid-level prospect to fill that hole with a league-average (or better) player.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:13 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

luken baker or Steele Walker? Drafted around the same time.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:24 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
luken baker or Steele Walker? Drafted around the same time.
We already have Walker? Sorry don't understand the question. I love Baker who is on the Cards, who also may be without a home because of Goldy was my point. Might be a guy we can deal an OF for
Old 04-22-2019, 09:34 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:

Regarding Collins: I've only - in the last five or six years or so - begun to focus on OPS when evaluating player performance. My question is this - if Collins was sporting a more respectable batting average - say .280ish - but had an OPS of .650 (as opposed to the over .800, and higher this year) would this be preferable?

Or would that just be a case of a "1B can't have an OPS of .650."?

I suppose I've just been watching Collins with fingers crossed that the .OPS of 1.00 this year is more in line with what I heard the talking heads say about him on draft night (many called him the best college bat in the draft).