White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2017, 11:58 PM
WSI Guru

Default Could Jimenez turn out better than Moncada?

Yes, much has been made about Yoan and what he's capable of, but I think a legit case can be made for Jimenez having the better career. The guy simply knows how to drive the ball and not just over the fence. His power has been on display and every time I see another highlight of him, I practically drool at the thought of him causing the scoreboard to explode regularly.

Moncada has more all-around skills, but it's fun to think about the possibility of Jimenez becoming the face of the next crop of Sox stars.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:11 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
Yes, much has been made about Yoan and what he's capable of, but I think a legit case can be made for Jimenez having the better career. The guy simply knows how to drive the ball and not just over the fence. His power has been on display and every time I see another highlight of him, I practically drool at the thought of him causing the scoreboard to explode regularly.

Moncada has more all-around skills, but it's fun to think about the possibility of Jimenez becoming the face of the next crop of Sox stars.

I see Eloy as being one of those game changer middle of the order fixtures who consistently posts .900+ OPS seasons. But Moncada has that all around MVP package feel.

As far as offensive force, I agree. Eloy might be that top dog.

I just salivate in thinking of the 3 horse potential in Moncada - Robert- Eloy. This could top that young trio of Maggs - Caballo - Konerko.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:15 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post

It's even more fun to think that the combination of Moncada, Jimenez, Robert, Rutherford, Collins, Burger all growing together. I know the chances of all of them working out are slim but its exciting just thinking about this group together.

H2H1 Champion 2011, 2012
Dynasty Runner up 2012
Old 08-10-2017, 12:19 AM
WSI Prelate

I think it depends on what you're looking for. Jimenez is a three hitter. He is a run producer and power bat. He will bash 30/40 home runs with a .300 average and 120 RBI. He is a monster, and will be a scary proposition for many.

Moncad, on the other hand, will have you 20/25 hr, 80-90 RBI, .280-90 average, 20-30 stolen bases, and 90-100 runs scored. He is a true five tool, and probably deserves a seat as the best two hole hitter in the bigs once and if he develops to his true potential.

I will say this, though, I believe that Jimenez has a higher chance of reaching his potential than Moncada. Not because I don't have faith in Moncada, but his one issue is that he has a swing and miss. Jimenez just mashes. He doesn't have that weakness.

Still, of Moncada is who I have seen since he came here. A patient, wait for your pitch type, then holy ****. He will be incredible.

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:19 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws05champ View Post
It's even more fun to think that the combination of Moncada, Jimenez, Robert, Rutherford, Collins, Burger all growing together. I know the chances of all of them working out are slim but its exciting just thinking about this group together.
Rutherford will make it. He can hit. Burger will too. I need to see more of Robert and Collins before I say anything about them.

Last edited by guillensdisciple; 08-10-2017 at 12:27 AM.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:28 AM
WSI Church Elder

Jimenez looks like a guy that can hit .280-.290 with 35+ home runs. But he'll play awful defense. Might be a future DH on a team that has a couple guys that look like future DHs in the minors already. He could put up absolutely massive numbers in his best years, though.

Moncada will be closer to a .255-.265 hitter, but he'll get on base a lot, get a ton of extra base hits, steal bases, and play solid defense.

Moncada-B.Ruth-Eloy-Robert-Burger-Collins could be a hell of a top 6 one day.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:26 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by shes View Post
Jimenez looks like a guy that can hit .280-.290 with 35+ home runs. But he'll play awful defense. Might be a future DH on a team that has a couple guys that look like future DHs in the minors already. He could put up absolutely massive numbers in his best years, though.

Moncada will be closer to a .255-.265 hitter, but he'll get on base a lot, get a ton of extra base hits, steal bases, and play solid defense.

Why will Jiminez play awful defense?

Why will Moncada only hit .255-.265?
Old 08-10-2017, 10:26 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew C White View Post

Too many k's?
Old 08-10-2017, 10:44 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huisj View Post
Too many k's?
Eh. The k's don't matter in this day and age. His weakness is definitely change ups, and it will be addressed since he is only 22.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:10 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew C White View Post

Jimenez' defense is nothing to write home about. He's probably going to be an Avi-caliber corner OFer, that is, a BIG dude that doesn't have the speed to make up for mediocre defensive instincts (route running, for example). His arm's also looking below league average at this point. Of course, he's young and could improve significantly, but I'd rather take the realistic outlook over the rosy one. He'll be a monster at the plate, but average at best in the field.

Moncada just strikes out way too much and doesn't have the hit tool of a guy like Trout to make up for it. It's doubtful that he'll ever not be a strikeout machine. If he can settle at 25% I'd be thrilled. That said, if he continues drawing walks like he has been he can push that average up to the .280 range. 280/380/480 would be a great triple slash line from your leadoff or number two hitter, especially one with blazing speed.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:31 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Jimenez' defense is nothing to write home about. He's probably going to be an Avi-caliber corner OFer, that is, a BIG dude that doesn't have the speed to make up for mediocre defensive instincts (route running, for example). His arm's also looking below league average at this point. Of course, he's young and could improve significantly, but I'd rather take the realistic outlook over the rosy one. He'll be a monster at the plate, but average at best in the field.

Moncada just strikes out way too much and doesn't have the hit tool of a guy like Trout to make up for it. It's doubtful that he'll ever not be a strikeout machine. If he can settle at 25% I'd be thrilled. That said, if he continues drawing walks like he has been he can push that average up to the .280 range. 280/380/480 would be a great triple slash line from your leadoff or number two hitter, especially one with blazing speed.
That's EXACTLY it. I don't think he will be Trout. He may be the best prospect in baseball, but it's not because he will be Trout-esque. He has his own set of unique skills. What you just outlines is all I want from him for the rest of his career.
Old 08-21-2017, 04:11 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:

That would be pretty cool if we could get Babe Ruth to be our #2 hitter. But I would probably bat him cleanup.