White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2018, 09:51 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica
But when baseball was invented, it was not possible to play night games. Now almost every game is a night game.
Yeah. Night games suck. We play too many of them.
Old 07-21-2018, 01:02 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
I'm a traditionalist as far as most of the rules in the game, so I hate the idea. That said, Manfred said on Waddle and Silvy earlier this season that he doesn't see the rule extending beyond the minors. They put the rule there not to exhaust developing players (I think), probably for the same reasons doubleheader games are seven innings instead of nine. Obviously, this could change in the majors, but I hope it doesn't.

I feel the same way, but I'd go along with it for the minor leagues only. I remember when this game happened. It made national news! I'd like to hear Cal Ripken or Wade Boggs' take on starting the extra innings with a man on 2B. I bet that night they'd be all for it.

https://www.milb.com/milb/news/revisiting-baseballs-longest-game/c-20923930
Old 07-21-2018, 01:08 AM
WSI Church Elder

Sox - Brewers 25 inning game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIC5w-iCk_c

I was at this game, but I left early. My friend Wayne who got the tickets worked at the Board of Trade and he used to have to be up at 4 a.m. for work the next day, so it was his call all the way. I think we left after the 11th inning.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:23 AM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Business has to adapt to the potential audience or lose money.
I agree but I think there are a bunch of things MLB can and SHOULD do first before resorting to this.

If MLB wants to speed up the game it can enforce the rule that already exists about the time limit between pitches. It could also encourage umpires not to grant time and have them stay in the box.

Go Sox!!!
Old 07-21-2018, 08:34 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
I agree but I think there are a bunch of things MLB can and SHOULD do first before resorting to this.

If MLB wants to speed up the game it can enforce the rule that already exists about the time limit between pitches. It could also encourage umpires not to grant time and have them stay in the box.
I very much agree with this and have said it a few times here before - there is no reason not to enforce these rules unless it's MLBPA and umpire union discord.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 07-21-2018, 10:46 AM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
I very much agree with this and have said it a few times here before - there is no reason not to enforce these rules unless it's MLBPA and umpire union discord.
I think part of it is a reluctance to give umpires too much power (I shudder at the thought of what Joe West would do if asked to enforce these rules).

The other thing is that in my opinion, the pace of play can vary from game to game to game. If it's the 9th inning of a one run game in a division race in September, guys can step out all they want and pitchers can take a long time between pitches and it doesn't bother me, it adds to the tension.

But when the Yankees and Red Sox are taking four hours to play a 3-2 game in April, that's insane.

(Also, I don't mind doing this in the minors for a variety of reasons but I would be very upset if this was implemented in the majors).
Old 07-21-2018, 11:50 AM
WSI High Priest

I'm for allowing a runner on 2nd in the minors, but leave it as it is in the majors.
Extra inning games can have an effect on a division race. If a manager depletes his pen in an extra inning game he then has to decide how long he allows the next day's starter to pitch even though he may be pitching badly.
He has to decide who can and who can't pitch out of the pen the next day. The length of an extra inning game can effect the pitching staff and the position players if after the game their playing in another city the next day, board a plane and travel, lack of sleep,etc.
Playing extra inning games can have an effect on teams.
Old 07-22-2018, 01:21 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Players are not more "fragile" today. This is a ridiculous "get off my lawn" trope that needs correction.

Plenty of pitchers in earlier eras completely blew out their arms, elbows, and/or shoulders, and almost all of them never pitched again. Were they fragile? No. Sandy Koufax blowing out his arm did not make him fragile.

The pitchers that stand out in our memories for their longevity and pitching lots of complete games stand out specifically because they were exceptional. They stand out against the countless no-names, the flashes in the pan, and the guys who blew out their arms.

Today, we understand that throwing overhand - particularly 95+ MPH fastballs, and pitches that require snapping the wrist to generate various kinds of spin - often will cause injuries. Therefore, it's in the best interests of those players, the teams, and the fans who cheer for them, that pitchers' arms are kept as healthy as possible!

I bet there are lots of Dodgers fans who wish that modern techniques and occasional rest could have extended Koufax's career.
Sorry Frater I agree with Fielder. Not only that I think it's a long term trend that goes back a century or more. There is other research involved that I could get in to but it involves T counts and other more intimate details of men. They're all on a steady downward trend. Mickey Lolich looked like anything but a chiseled professional athlete but you could count on him going 300+ innings of solid baseball without his arm falling apart. Even if you are correct in stating "The pitchers that stand out in our memories for their longevity and pitching lots of complete games stand out specifically because they were exceptional. They stand out against the countless no-names, the flashes in the pan, and the guys who blew out their arms," this does not take into account numerous examples of pitchers who could last a decade or more while logging pitch counts and innings worked that would make people's heads explode today. I'm glad you agree with Fielder on the travel baseball issue because I certainly believe that this is another major reason for the seemingly endless rash of career threatening and career ending injuries suffered by today's young professional hurlers.
Old 07-22-2018, 01:44 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
Sorry Frater I agree with Fielder. Not only that I think it's a long term trend that goes back a century or more. There is other research involved that I could get in to but it involves T counts and other more intimate details of men. They're all on a steady downward trend. Mickey Lolich looked like anything but a chiseled professional athlete but you could count on him going 300+ innings of solid baseball without his arm falling apart. Even if you are correct in stating "The pitchers that stand out in our memories for their longevity and pitching lots of complete games stand out specifically because they were exceptional. They stand out against the countless no-names, the flashes in the pan, and the guys who blew out their arms," this does not take into account numerous examples of pitchers who could last a decade or more while logging pitch counts and innings worked that would make people's heads explode today. I'm glad you agree with Fielder on the travel baseball issue because I certainly believe that this is another major reason for the seemingly endless rash of career threatening and career ending injuries suffered by today's young professional hurlers.
Well that gave me something to google. Interesting, though not sure it's related to the other stuff.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 07-27-2018, 11:57 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
I don't get it. When I go to a concert, I never want it to end early or after a set number of songs (though I have seen others leave before the show is over). No one is being forced to stay for the entire game. If people don't want to stick around to see the end or extra innings, they are free to leave and listen to the rest of the game on the radio on the car ride home. Why are extra innings a problem?
It's not the same to see the game end live as it is to hear it on the ride home. People would rather see the game they paid for, end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wsoxmike59 View Post
Sox - Brewers 25 inning game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIC5w-iCk_c

I was at this game, but I left early. My friend Wayne who got the tickets worked at the Board of Trade and he used to have to be up at 4 a.m. for work the next day, so it was his call all the way. I think we left after the 11th inning.
Were your tickets valid for the conclusion the next day?

Anyway, this minor league rule is dumb. I'm ready for ties in baseball, it's not a big deal. 3 points for a win, 1 for a tie. Enough of the hand wringing already. It'll make extra innings more special when they come back in the postseason only. No extras in regular season, back to normal in postseason. I can live with that, and so would everybody else. The purist complaints would be faint, everyone will see that it's better to call it a night after 9 innings, just split the points.

In a 162 game season, not every game needs to have a winner. It's not unsatisfying to have a tie, it's just 1 part of a 162 piece puzzle. Hockey's golden age was when teams would each get 1 point for a tie. Again, it isn't a big deal at all. Extras can come back in October.
04-04-2005, 04:03 PM
I was a doubter, but maybe, just maybe we can win with pitching, defense and fundamentals.
Old 07-28-2018, 12:37 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cub killer View Post
It's not the same to see the game end live as it is to hear it on the ride home. People would rather see the game they paid for, end. Were your tickets valid for the conclusion the next day?

No they were not. We called the box office the next day to see if we could get in on our tickets from the day before, but they said NO, you'll have to buy a new ticket for today's game.
Old 07-28-2018, 05:02 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
It's not the same to see the game end live as it is to hear it on the ride home. People would rather see the game they paid for, end. Were your tickets valid for the conclusion the next day?
They can see the game end if they stay in the ballpark.

Since when does their right to see a game end before they choose to leave (however subjective) supersede another paying fan's expectation to see the game end under the current set of rules?
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004

Last edited by Grzegorz; 07-28-2018 at 05:20 AM.
Old 07-28-2018, 08:51 AM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Anyway, this minor league rule is dumb. I'm ready for ties in baseball, it's not a big deal. 3 points for a win, 1 for a tie. Enough of the hand wringing already. It'll make extra innings more special when they come back in the postseason only. No extras in regular season, back to normal in postseason. I can live with that, and so would everybody else. The purist complaints would be faint, everyone will see that it's better to call it a night after 9 innings, just split the points.

In a 162 game season, not every game needs to have a winner. It's not unsatisfying to have a tie, it's just 1 part of a 162 piece puzzle. Hockey's golden age was when teams would each get 1 point for a tie. Again, it isn't a big deal at all. Extras can come back in October.
See, that's a rule change I would hate. It changes the tenor of the game.