White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2019, 09:58 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
Him and Rolen are deserving.

To me Bonds and Clemens were HOF players before they juiced. Then both MLB and writers ignored all the steroid use until they could no longer ignore it. ...

If you're on your way to the Hall of Fame and you bring dishonor to the game, you no longer belong in the Hall of Fame.
Old 11-20-2019, 10:47 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wsoxmike59 View Post
My vote would be for Jeter and Schilling. No juicers in the HOF.
Except for the guys already in like Bagwell, I-Roid and Piazza.
Old 11-21-2019, 05:22 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wsoxmike59 View Post
My vote would be for Jeter and Schilling. No juicers in the HOF.
I'd add Walker.

I am in total agreement with your second statement.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 11-21-2019, 08:03 AM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Not a problem. There should be a committee to review the members, with the power to drum them out.

Last edited by A. Cavatica; 11-21-2019 at 08:09 AM.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:09 AM
WSI Personality

I'm fine with letting the juicers who did it during the steroid era into the HOF because baseball and the media all turned a blind eye to it until it was no longer feasible for them to do so. Keep in mind the HOF is also filled with drug users, players who took amphetamines all through the 40's to the 80's, racists, bigots, and others who abused women and children.

Give me the players who used steroids to get better over the latter any day of the week.
Old 11-21-2019, 03:50 PM
WSI Guru

Schilling has burned pretty much every bridge possible in retirement. I'd be shocked if he got in.
Old 11-22-2019, 02:11 PM
WSI Church Elder

I can't believe Konerko has already been retired long enough to be eligible. Why is it the life seems to be just flying by accept my reitement date seems to be creeping along at a snail's pace. How ist that possible
Old 11-22-2019, 02:26 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zisk77 View Post
I can't believe Konerko has already been retired long enough to be eligible. Why is it the life seems to be just flying by accept my reitement date seems to be creeping along at a snail's pace. How ist that possible

And when that day comes days will be like minutes.
Old 11-23-2019, 02:07 AM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zisk77 View Post
Eventually that time will come as well. I've been retired from my first career for over 21 years now, and totally retired for over 4. I can't believe that either has been that long.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 11-23-2019, 08:22 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdog View Post
if you're on your way to the hall of fame and you bring dishonor to the game, you no longer belong in the hall of fame.
+1
Old 11-24-2019, 08:52 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

One of the guys at my office feels that if a player is not elected the first time he is on the ballot, he should not get additional chances.

His reasoning is that the player's stats are not changing now that he is retired, so nothing changes from one year to the next about his playing years. What makes a player more worthy of being in Hall after being rejected the first time?

Do the other pro Halls of Fame give players multiple bites at the apple?

Old 11-24-2019, 11:11 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
One of the guys at my office feels that if a player is not elected the first time he is on the ballot, he should not get additional chances.

His reasoning is that the player's stats are not changing now that he is retired, so nothing changes from one year to the next about his playing years. What makes a player more worthy of being in Hall after being rejected the first time?

Do the other pro Halls of Fame give players multiple bites at the apple?

Being elected the first time depends on who else is eligible at the same time.

I know football gives multiple tries.
Old 11-25-2019, 08:16 AM
WSI Personality

I'd say remove the 10 player limit for the voters but then again, it doesn't matter for the "look at me!" crowd who turn in blank ballots of just elect one player (like the guy who just did it for Jeter).
Old 12-08-2019, 10:24 PM
WSI Personality

Ted Simmons and Marvin Miller have been elected to the HOF by the Veteran's Committee (good). Lou Whitaker should be in IMO.
Old Yesterday, 12:07 PM
WSI Church Elder

Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
Not a problem. There should be a committee to review the members, with the power to drum them out.

I agree with both statements, the issue of steroid users and the HOF is a very thorny issue and not a pleasant one to deal with. I grew up watching Baseball in the 1960’s and ‘70s and seeing the records of Aaron, Banks, Mays And Clemente surpassed by the likes of Bonds, Sosa, McGwire and ARod were a tough pill to swallow. If I were a HOF voter I know exactly how I’d vote, but it’s hard when some players are under a cloud of suspicion. I’m not privileged to that information so I can’t really say who is guilty and who is innocent.

All that said, I’m happy for Ted Simmons Who in the 1970’s was right behind Johnny Bench for NL Catchers as far as I was concerned. A switch hitting Catcher who plays everyday, had that decade of dominance that I look for with several outstanding offensive seasons catching in the heat of St.L in the Summer and never wearing down. Ted was overshadowed a bit by Johnny Bench, but those who saw him play on a regular basis knew he was a threat to get a big base hit no matter who was on the mound.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...immote01.shtml

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...errayo01.shtml

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...enchjo01.shtml

PS: I didn’t realize how closely Ted Simmons career stats match up to Yogi Berra’s. And Yogi was a 3 time MVP in the 50’s! An impressive body of work and career that Ted Simmons produced.

"(Shoeless Joe) Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." ------ Connie Mack..........................."I copied (Shoeless Joe) Jackson's style because I thought he was the greatest natural hitter I ever saw. He's the guy who made me a hitter."------ Babe Ruth"

Last edited by Wsoxmike59; Yesterday at 03:11 PM. Reason: Addition to post