GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2018, 08:56 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteorsSox4367 View Post
Although it was a little bit of a pain to drive through on the way home from work yesterday around 5, it was nice to see cars lined up to park on 35th for the game.

Scott Merkin mentioned something on Twitter about a walkup of 8,000 fans. That's cool.

As for watching the game on TV, Benetti mentioned something about fans not needing seats when Kopech reached two strikes on a batter because they were all up cheering and hanging on almost every pitch. That was amazing to see.

I know I was talking to the TV more than I usually do during games. I also liked the cameras capturing Kopech speaking with Lopez and gesturing how quickly his heart was beating at the start.

Looking forward to watching Kopech pitch Sunday. And if anyone from the Sox' marketing department reads any of these comments, please remember the bigger and taller Sox fans when ordering the Kopech player-t-shirts.

I wish the kid well. I hope he does great things for the Sox.
Yesterday was the first time in about six years that I was so jazzed to watch a Sox game. I didn't just have the game on for background noise or because nothing else was on TV like I usually do these days; I actually sat on the couch and paid attention to every pitch. I even found myself talking to the TV, encouraging Kopech to "go after him" when he had two strikes on a hitter.

There was an energy at the ballpark that came through very well on TV, and I thoroughly enjoyed the enthusiasm in both Bennetti's and Stone's voices while Kopech was out there. I don't know the last time I saw Sox fans up on every two-strike count (the blackout game?), and that was great to see. I only wish the rain hadn't come, so I could've been entertained for at least a couple more innings. As soon as the bullpen came in, I lost interest.

I can't wait to watch Kopech pitch again!
Robin!

Yaz! Pliers!

"Robin Ventura has one thing Ozzie does not have -- CLASS!" ~My dad, in response to seeing the Sox commercials that featured Robin, 03.08.12

Old 08-23-2018, 09:03 AM
WSI Personality

I agree with others the rain out may have been a blessing. He was amped and pitch count creeping up. I would have been worried he may have gotten hit as he got into the 4th or 5th with the amped feeling and fatigue. I think he will be much more relaxed next time he goes out there, and hopefully he mixes in more off speed.
Old 08-23-2018, 02:38 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteorsSox4367 View Post
Oh, wow. I thought I had seen something on Twitter about Kopech going Sunday. Either way, I'll be watching when he pitches again. Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.
Sox site updated. Kopech will go this Sunday @ Detroit, as you thought.
Old 08-23-2018, 02:39 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxGirl View Post
Yesterday was the first time in about six years that I was so jazzed to watch a Sox game. I didn't just have the game on for background noise or because nothing else was on TV like I usually do these days; I actually sat on the couch and paid attention to every pitch. I even found myself talking to the TV, encouraging Kopech to "go after him" when he had two strikes on a hitter.

There was an energy at the ballpark that came through very well on TV, and I thoroughly enjoyed the enthusiasm in both Bennetti's and Stone's voices while Kopech was out there. I don't know the last time I saw Sox fans up on every two-strike count (the blackout game?), and that was great to see. I only wish the rain hadn't come, so I could've been entertained for at least a couple more innings. As soon as the bullpen came in, I lost interest.

I can't wait to watch Kopech pitch again!
I yelled at the TV "Ring him up!" for that pitch called strike three to Mauer. Haven't done that in a while...
Old 08-23-2018, 03:58 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxandtheCityTee View Post
Sox site updated. Kopech will go this Sunday @ Detroit, as you thought.
Yeah, Hahn and Kenny and Renteria asked me if Sunday would be a good day to start Kopech so I could watch the entire game.

I told them as long as I did all of my yard work on Saturday, that Sunday would be just fine with me.
Old 08-23-2018, 04:23 PM
WSI Church Elder

Would have been dumb not to start him Sunday. Cupcake matchup against the kitties on a day where they're likely to rest some regulars is precisely what you want for a prospect effectively making his first full start. On the road, too, so less fanfare. Pushing him back would have meant a start against the Yankees. While that would have been fun, it would not have been the prudent move.
Old 08-23-2018, 07:35 PM
WSI Guru

Kopech addressed some racist deleted tweets he made as a teenager. Glad he put this fire out before it started.
https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/...2013-response/
Old 08-23-2018, 08:05 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
Kopech addressed some racist deleted tweets he made as a teenager. Glad he put this fire out before it started.
https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/...2013-response/
Surprised this is the first time I saw this mentioned here today. Let's just leave it at that imo, keep it civil. People really need to realize this isn't that abnormal for high school kids goofing around. I'm not saying it's OK it's not, but maturing and pro ball after HS and the environment it brings can truly do a lot to change a person. Michael has addressed it and moved on.
Old 08-24-2018, 02:10 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxkid23 View Post
Surprised this is the first time I saw this mentioned here today. Let's just leave it at that imo, keep it civil. People really need to realize this isn't that abnormal for high school kids goofing around. I'm not saying it's OK it's not, but maturing and pro ball after HS and the environment it brings can truly do a lot to change a person. Michael has addressed it and moved on.
I'm sorry but this stuff gets so overblown in the media, it's becoming ridiculous. Actually, it has been for a long time. I've never used that type of language, and I've been around people who have and some are awful but most are not. so I'm kind of tired of everyone who uses a certain term being labeled as something that, more than likely, they are not.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:45 AM
WSI Regular

Good analysis on Kopech throwing strikes: https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/mich...owing-strikes/