GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2018, 07:48 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
Getting guys like Engel and Narvaez to produce, out of nowhere, is what makes rebuilds successful. It takes the pressure off the prospects from being guaranteed stars, and fills in holes that would have taken years to fill.

We now have an interesting problem. A backlog of catchers who can hit. Narvaez, Smith, Castillo, Zavala, and Collins.

I think Zavala should be placed at first or dh.

Collins also presents a conundrum.
Based on reports of his improved defense and how he's hitting at AAA- Zavala may be the best (potential) catcher of the 5 you list. Narvaez is just horrible behind the plate, but as a good LH hitter, a nice guy to have. Smith is 30 yo, Castillo coming of PED suspension, hitting < .200 at Charlotte, and Collins is a career .233 hitter in the minors, who is probably back at AA next spring.
Anderson, Giolito, Lopez, Moncada
Old 08-27-2018, 08:15 AM
WSI High Priest

Kopech's next start is at home against Boston. It will be interesting to see how he does against that line-up.

277-241.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:28 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Kopech's next start is at home against Boston. It will be interesting to see how he does against that line-up.

Sweet. Glad I got tickets to Pride Night.

2014 PtC Score: 1
Old 08-27-2018, 08:38 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
Based on reports of his improved defense and how he's hitting at AAA- Zavala may be the best (potential) catcher of the 5 you list. Narvaez is just horrible behind the plate, but as a good LH hitter, a nice guy to have. Smith is 30 yo, Castillo coming of PED suspension, hitting < .200 at Charlotte, and Collins is a career .233 hitter in the minors, who is probably back at AA next spring.
Agreed about Zavala, especially since all the other catching options have their own big flaws and/or question marks.

I'm not sold on Collins either. I have serious doubts he'll ever be an adequate starting catcher in the majors. But, I would like to point out that while his batting average has been low, he does have a good eye and has power. I believe his OBP and OPS numbers have been pretty good.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:44 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Agreed about Zavala, especially since all the other catching options have their own big flaws and/or question marks.

I'm not sold on Collins either. I have serious doubts he'll ever be an adequate starting catcher in the majors. But, I would like to point out that while his batting average has been low, he does have a good eye and has power. I believe his OBP and OPS numbers have been pretty good.
I've heard mixed reviews on his improvements defensively this year (mostly positive), but other than a solid May- he hit .206 (April), .238 (June), .211 (July) and .208 (August)- he definitely needs to start next season at AA.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:45 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
You are correct. For example, in the month of May, his he was getting on base more than half the time (OBP of .501). This was of course when he had Jimenéz protecting him in the lineup, but he's still gotten on at a really good clip since then.

His floor (or his "worst case scenario" anyway) seems to be an average 1B/emergency C. As you said, jury's still out on whether he can catch even as a backup yet, but it'd be great to have his bat at the position. As currently stands though, it seems the organization has more faith in Zavala though.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:16 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Seems likely that Smith is on his way out of the organization, with Castillo/Narvaez the tandem for 2019 and Zavala the next man up. Collins still has some stuff to work on at AA (offensively and defensively), but they can afford to bring him along slowly.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:26 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
Seems likely that Smith is on his way out of the organization, with Castillo/Narvaez the tandem for 2019 and Zavala the next man up. Collins still has some stuff to work on at AA (offensively and defensively), but they can afford to bring him along slowly.
Agree- I could see a transition to Zavala/Narvaez (late 2019) and then to Zavala/Collins(2020)- with that said- our young pitching is such an important part of the rebuild- a veteran/solid defense catcher may be a good investment-especially if internal prospects are filling most of the other position roles.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:28 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp...ng/2018/MINORS

Slashing .239/.388/.413 for an .802 OPS on the year, which is good not great for someone with his profile. However as others have mentioned, he's been really streaky, with a poor start and poor finish to his season sandwiched around his incredible May, where he hit .322/.508/.540. Other than that month, he hasn't had an OPS over .758, and that was in April when everyone was calling him a bust. August has been his worst month yet... he could be wearing down - he's played a ton this year (DHing when he wasn't catching).
Old 08-27-2018, 09:31 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Agree- I could see a transition to Zavala/Narvaez (late 2019) and then to Zavala/Collins(2020)- with that said- our young pitching is such an important part of the rebuild- a veteran/solid defense catcher may be a good investment-especially if internal prospects are filling most of the other position roles.
Yup, barring any setbacks/injuries, Castillo is likely to be traded next year. They might want to move on from the whole PED stigma this coming offseason, but his trade value will be in the gutter.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:16 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
We can do more than merely “live” with Engel if he puts up a .700+ OPS. That level of production would make him a legitimate MLB asset. The league split OPS for CF is only .722 nowadays, and Engel can easily make up those 20 points of OPS by stealing bases.

Engel’s defense isn't good or even great; it is superlative. If we ever get to a point where he is flanked by good defenders on both sides, it can even border on game-changing. With the way fly balls are distributed, outfield shifts do not have as much of a neutralizing effect on BABIP as infield shifts. Plus, fly balls are being emphasized by hitters to a much greater extent nowadays. I would love to see the White Sox assemble an everyday outfield that generates a few dozen extra outs for the pitching staff. At that point, all the pitchers would have to worry about would be keeping the ball in the ballpark.
I agree 100%. Engel hitting anywhere close to league average would be a perfect CF at least for the next year. Hopefully at some point one of the Luises pushes him to the 4th OF/defensive replacement/pinch-runner role that he seems destined for.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:04 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
does Omar Narvaez have a future in this organization? he is the best hitter on this team right now.
He is our best hitter - and our biggest defensive liability - hence the 1.6 WAR this year.

You need to have a better presence behind the plate - unless he's avg .350+ he won't stay long in that role.

Maybe he can be groomed for another position??
Old 08-27-2018, 11:06 PM
Co-Winner WSI 2018 NFL Pick'em Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronFisk View Post
He is our best hitter - and our biggest defensive liability - hence the 1.6 WAR this year.

You need to have a better presence behind the plate - unless he's avg .350+ he won't stay long in that role.

I like Omar but he is not a better hitter than Jose Abreu
Old 08-27-2018, 11:43 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronFisk View Post

I know a lot of people hate this logic, but his bat doesn’t profile nearly as well at 3B, 1B or OF.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."