Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2018, 08:34 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railsplitter View Post
Where have the Sox been hiding LaMarre?

The performance made me wonder if Steve Stone remembered the 1977 game where Lamar Johnson hit two solo homers in a game the Sox won 2-1.
And he sang the national anthem before the game.
Anderson, Giolito, Lopez, Moncada
Old 08-30-2018, 08:36 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post
Was an exciting and fun road trip...but gotta be honest I hope we crash back down to the 3rd pick by seasons end. I mean at this point we've watched a season's worth of awful baseball and we might as well be rewarded with a top 3 pick.
Unfortunately (for your position)- the roster is now mostly young players fighting to prove themselves or progressing in their development- with no Pelfrey, Volstad, Infante to help us tank- so I think that boat may have sailed.
Old 08-30-2018, 09:18 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Right. I was there for that Sunday game in which the Sox hit three consecutive homers off Randy Johnson -- Widger's (I believe) being the third. The series in New York was the "Aaron Rowand Series."
Ah yes. I guess when you have so many awesome moments to remember from a 99 win season, you’re bound to start blending some of them together after 13 years.

I still remember that Cleveland-New York road trip sweep of 2000 quite well. Didn’t they tee off on El Duque in an early afternoon game and run him out of the game in the first inning or something!
Old 08-30-2018, 09:27 AM
WSI High Priest

The 2003 White Sox also had a great roadtrip to NYY and BOS. It really made me think that team could have won the World Series if not for its complete inability to beat the Twins.

The late season collapse of that 2003 team is what made me who I am today.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 08-30-2018, 10:17 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huisj View Post
Ah yes. I guess when you have so many awesome moments to remember from a 99 win season, you’re bound to start blending some of them together after 13 years.

I still remember that Cleveland-New York road trip sweep of 2000 quite well. Didn’t they tee off on El Duque in an early afternoon game and run him out of the game in the first inning or something!
Yes they did. The White Sox batted around in the top of the first scoring I believe 9 runs, sending 12 men to the plate the scoring capped off by a Jose Valentin grand slam. The final score was 17-4. You can read all about that game and the entire road trip through the links i posted above, The Seven Glorious Days.
Old 08-30-2018, 10:34 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post
Was an exciting and fun road trip...but gotta be honest I hope we crash back down to the 3rd pick by seasons end. I mean at this point we've watched a season's worth of awful baseball and we might as well be rewarded with a top 3 pick.
None of us here can even name who's the #3 pick come June 2019. That same guy right now could be #15 by then.

How did "Tank for Beer" go last year?

Or many had us taking Nander de Sedas at this time last year. That guy fell out of the first round and decided to go to college instead.

It's a crap-shoot.

Winning more games because of the young talent right now is more important than picking #3 vs #6 or #7.
Old 08-30-2018, 10:45 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huisj View Post
Was that the series when Chris Widger homered off Randy Johnson?
Quote:
Originally Posted by XplodingScorbord View Post
Widger! There’s a blast from the past. Wonder what he’s up to these days.

EDIT: To satisfy my own curiosity, Wikipedia says, “He is the currently the Bench Coach of the Minor League team Wilmington Blue Rocks.” So there you have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
Same month, different series. Widger's blast came at home to help end that seven-game winning streak, which actually started after the Sox left the Bronx.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Right. I was there for that Sunday game in which the Sox hit three consecutive homers off Randy Johnson -- Widger's (I believe) being the third. The series in New York was the "Aaron Rowand Series."
The short answer is "no." This was the Sox first series win in New York since 2005. The "Randy Johnson 15 of Hell Game" was at Comiskey. I was there, great game.

The Sox took two of three from the Yanks at New York August 8-10. They then had the nightmarish seven game losing streak which was broken by the Randy Johnson game on August 21. https://www.baseball-reference.com/t...e-scores.shtml

After last night, the Sox are no longer the only AL team without a series win at the new Yankee Stadium.

Old 08-30-2018, 11:13 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
The late season collapse of that 2003 team is what made me who I am today.
Dude, they won a World Series after that. That should have eradicated feelings from just two years prior.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 08-30-2018, 11:24 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Came an eyelash from sweeping the Yankees in NY when they are in the heart of the pennant race and the Sox are trying not to donk their way out of the top 5 draft picks next year while playing without their best hitter.

If that sentence doesn't make you giggle with anticipation, I don't know what to say...

The series was made even better because I absolutely LOATHE the Yankees. Sox played very well. Makes me a very happy fan.
Old 08-30-2018, 11:44 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteorsSox4367 View Post
The series was made even better because I absolutely LOATHE the Yankees. Sox played very well. Makes me a very happy fan.
Agreed... and now I'd like to see the Sox jam it up the BoSox cornhole as an encore. They are on the list of the top 3 most hate-worthy teams in the league. And since we helped them for a couple of days with the Yanks, it's only fair now that screw them for a few days.
Old 08-30-2018, 12:19 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
Agreed... and now I'd like to see the Sox jam it up the BoSox cornhole as an encore. They are on the list of the top 3 most hate-worthy teams in the league. And since we helped them for a couple of days with the Yanks, it's only fair now that screw them for a few days.
I have no strong feelings against the Yankees. Hating them just feels like jealously... because they've won so much, they have the most resources, etc. I don't blame them or their fans for all their success.

Red Sox fans, on the other hand, are terrible. I've been to a few games that didn't even involve the Red Sox, where there were drunk Red Sox fans heckling everyone and everything. I know it's not good to generalize to an entire fan base for a few *******s, but I've seen enough of a pattern. Someone around here has a quote in their sig (sorry I don't remember who, or who the author of the quote was) comparing how much more classy we were after winning the Series in 2005 to the way Red Sox fans handled winning in 2004.
Old 08-30-2018, 12:34 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
I have no strong feelings against the Yankees. Hating them just feels like jealously... because they've won so much, they have the most resources, etc. I don't blame them or their fans for all their success.

Red Sox fans, on the other hand, are terrible. I've been to a few games that didn't even involve the Red Sox, where there were drunk Red Sox fans heckling everyone and everything. I know it's not good to generalize to an entire fan base for a few *******s, but I've seen enough of a pattern. Someone around here has a quote in their sig (sorry I don't remember who, or who the author of the quote was) comparing how much more classy we were after winning the Series in 2005 to the way Red Sox fans handled winning in 2004.
I’m guessing you are referring to my sig.

Ray Ratto said something similar before that: “Do you hear them whining endlessly about how God wants them to suffer? Do they bore you with tales of Shoeless Joe Jackson, or Luke Appling, or Wild Bill Dietrich, and how each one has cursed them from beyond the grave? Do they go on and on about Arnold Rothstein and Charlie Comiskey and Chick Gandil and how they robbed their great grandfather of a two-day bender back in '19?

Of course not. They say, "The Sox? They stink. Another beer over here, Hap." They don't long-suffer, and if they do, they don't do it loud enough for the rest of the neighborhood to hear. And they've known circles of hell you've never even driven through on your way to the company picnic.“ https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sfg...ak-2556553.php
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."George Orwell

Last edited by asindc; 08-30-2018 at 12:49 PM.
Old 08-30-2018, 01:21 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakath View Post
Could have had the first sweep of the Yankees in the Bronx since the Sox swept a 4-game series from June 15-18, 2000, where they outscored the Yankees 42-17 (12-3, 3-1, 10-9, and 17-4).

We just need to get those two pitches back...
I miss the "stand up guy".
Old 08-30-2018, 01:26 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post

I lived in WNY for over 60 yrs. The arrogance of Yankee fans was never ending. I always root for any team playing the Evil Empire that is in NYC.
Great series by the Sox. I called a few Yankee Fan relatives last night and asked them how the dagger to their team felt.
At one time there was a saying in NY. The 3 constants in life, "Death, taxes and yankees in the world series".
Old 08-30-2018, 02:29 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
None of us here can even name who's the #3 pick come June 2019. That same guy right now could be #15 by then.

How did "Tank for Beer" go last year?

Or many had us taking Nander de Sedas at this time last year. That guy fell out of the first round and decided to go to college instead.

It's a crap-shoot.

Winning more games because of the young talent right now is more important than picking #3 vs #6 or #7.
Why, exactly? The roster is still made up of a bunch of guys who won't be on the team in 2 years. I want the young guys who will be here beyond the next 2 years to play well, but that doesn't mean they need to win games. If the reason for wining games now is for some sort of morale or feeling better or some other emotional reason then I strongly disagree.