GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2018, 02:35 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw218 View Post
The Seven Glorious Days. That Monday, June 19, the Sox returned home to face the Indians, whom they had just swept in Cleveland before they headed to New York. The team was greeted by a standing ovation when they took the field.

Here are the TBGRs for those 8 games
Game 1
Game 2
Game 3
Game 4
Game 5
Game 6
Game 7
Game 8

I was at the game when they came back and faced the Indians. The Sunday game when the Sox beat the Yankees 17-4 was crazy. That's the moment when everyone realized that this team was dangerous. Weird how the Sox got swept and the Yankees won the WS again. Just goes to show that mid season slumps are not the end of the world. Yes, the fans gave them a stand O when they took the field but it was a good, loud crowd all night. Without looking, Bartolo Colon started for the Indians that game, got chased from the game.
Old 08-30-2018, 03:48 PM
WSI Regular

Default 2000 Yankees compared to 2000 White Sox

That 2000 World Series team was the worst of the bunch! Our Sox the first half of that year were the cream of the crop. No team was it's equal in quality.
Old 08-30-2018, 04:08 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
Why, exactly? The roster is still made up of a bunch of guys who won't be on the team in 2 years. I want the young guys who will be here beyond the next 2 years to play well, but that doesn't mean they need to win games. If the reason for wining games now is for some sort of morale or feeling better or some other emotional reason then I strongly disagree.
Young players playing well leads to more wins. I agree that ideally they would be playing well and losing to secure a top pick, but it doesn't really work that way.

If they want to get serious about losing, they need to send Kopech back down to AAA where his talent won't get in the way of the rebuild. And bring back Volstad/Rondon/etc. to start blowing some more games.
Old 08-30-2018, 04:20 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Why, exactly? The roster is still made up of a bunch of guys who won't be on the team in 2 years. I want the young guys who will be here beyond the next 2 years to play well, but that doesn't mean they need to win games. If the reason for wining games now is for some sort of morale or feeling better or some other emotional reason then I strongly disagree.

4/5 of the rotation is made up of guys who will/can matter.

They are pitching well as of late, reason why this team is winning more games.

It's not Rocket Science.
Old 08-30-2018, 05:11 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
4/5 of the rotation is made up of guys who will/can matter.

They are pitching well as of late, reason why this team is winning more games.

It's not Rocket Science.
That doesn't answer the question of why it's important to be winning games now. I know the rotation is pitching well right now, but what if they all get bombed this weekend against Boston? What if they all pitch well but end up losing a bunch of close games? Right now, individual performance of the young guys who will be here beyond 2 years is more important than racking up wins.
Old 08-30-2018, 05:20 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
That doesn't answer the question of why it's important to be winning games now. I know the rotation is pitching well right now, but what if they all get bombed this weekend against Boston? What if they all pitch well but end up losing a bunch of close games? Right now, individual performance of the young guys who will be here beyond 2 years is more important than racking up wins.
Individual performance has been more important than wins all season, thatís nothing new. Whatís new is that individual performances have been better, in particular the pitching. And an unfortunate consequence of playing better is that the team is winning.
Old 08-30-2018, 05:27 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Another (perhaps bigger) reason we're seeing more consistent winning these days is that a lot of the extreme suckitude has been eliminated from the team over the course of the year. The early-season rotation that included horrific performances from Fulmer/Covey/Giolito/Gonzalez has been replaced by Kopech, Rodon, and the newer, better version of Giolito. A lot of the dead weight in the bullpen has been DFA'ed. The outfield isn't nearly the same black hole of offensive ineptitude it was early on when everyone seemed to be a 5th or 6th stringer due to injuries.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:29 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
And he sang the national anthem before the game.
Yep, I was there. He had quite the day.
Old 08-31-2018, 11:52 AM
WSI Village Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
A lot of the dead weight in the bullpen has been DFA'ed.

There's still a lot more to jettison. Besides Fry, Cedeno, and maybe Burr (small sample size), the rest of them aren't worth crap.

Apr 5 L
Apr 10 L
May 18 L
May 22 W
Jun 1 W
Jun 22 L W
Jul 2 L @ CIN
Jul 3 W @ CIN
Jul 11 W
Jul 28 W
Aug 17 W
Sep 8 L