White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 04:31 PM
WSI Prelate

Lip:

Every time they have earnestly efforted a rebuild project (early 80s culminates in 83; late 80s culminates in 93/94; late 90s culminates in 2000s), they have gotten the team back to the playoffs.

Where they have failed is in making multiple consecutive playoff appearances.

Even so, with each successive rebuild project they have extended the length of their contention window over the previous rebuild project.

This history would suggest that each time the JR-led organization goes through a rebuild project, they get better at it. Not perfect, but better.

I know this isn’t a satisfying interpretation, and it’s not to excuse the horrible bad decisions they have made, from the 1994 labor impasse to bad personnel decisions to a (previously) flawed draft and development philosophy.

But, given that history, given their (apparent) current patience and expressed desire to make this a draft-oriented organization that can sustain winning over longer periods, and given the quantity of high-quality prospects they have assembled through all available means (trades, draft, and international), I have a degree of confidence that this current rebuild project has the greatest potential to lead to multiple consecutive playoff appearances and potentially multiple World Series during the 2020s.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:04 PM
WSI Prelate

Madrigal is other world right now.

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:35 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Since WSI has taught me that only the White Sox and their prospects suffer injuries, the only possible explanation is that somehow it must have been poor training and nutrition practices that Tatis developed in the Sox organization that caused the injury he’s suffered two years after leaving our organization.
Clearly the virus that we created has spread throughout baseball:

Tatis (#1 or 2 prospect in baseball): out for season
Reyes (former #1 pitching prospect): two straight season-ending arm injuries
Urias (former #1 pitching prospect): 100 IP since being called up in 2016
Torres (former top 2 overall prospect): TJS, missed most of last year
Seager (former #1 prospect): out for season
Whitley (arguable #1 pitching prospect): 21 IP this year between suspension and injuries
Honeywell (arguable #1 pitching prospect): TJS
Puk (top 5-7 pitching prospect): TJS
Buehler (arguable top pitching prospect): nagging injuries forced him out of big league rotation
Kaprielian (former top 5 pitching prospect): less than 30 IP since being drafted in 2015. Future uncertain.

Shall I go on? Compare the White Sox youngsters with those around baseball. It's been minor setbacks other than Burdi and Burger, who were back end of top 10 in the organization. Strains and sprains and soreness here and there for the major prospects (Yoan, Robert, Eloy, and so forth) aren't a big deal. We'll see what happens with Dunning, but the top guys haven't been hit with the kind of injuries that have befallen other teams' top youngsters.

We're doing fine.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:37 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shes View Post
Absolutely nothing. I am convinced at this point that Lip has gone full-on troll with the injury stuff.
Bull****. As long as I've been around here, you know better. I'm just tired, tired of the injuries, the 'excuses", the losing. Sick to my ****ing stomach over it and sometimes I need to vent.

Period.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:38 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
I have a bad feeling that this is only going to get worse with time. Imagine how bad it will be when the guys getting hurt are in AAA instead of A and A+.
Mohoney: If these guys continue to get hurt at the same rate in Triple A you can forget about being respectable in 2020 or 2021. Far to much missed developmental time.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:44 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Lip:

Every time they have earnestly efforted a rebuild project (early 80s culminates in 83; late 80s culminates in 93/94; late 90s culminates in 2000s), they have gotten the team back to the playoffs.

Where they have failed is in making multiple consecutive playoff appearances.

Even so, with each successive rebuild project they have extended the length of their contention window over the previous rebuild project.

This history would suggest that each time the JR-led organization goes through a rebuild project, they get better at it. Not perfect, but better.

I know this isn’t a satisfying interpretation, and it’s not to excuse the horrible bad decisions they have made, from the 1994 labor impasse to bad personnel decisions to a (previously) flawed draft and development philosophy.

But, given that history, given their (apparent) current patience and expressed desire to make this a draft-oriented organization that can sustain winning over longer periods, and given the quantity of high-quality prospects they have assembled through all available means (trades, draft, and international), I have a degree of confidence that this current rebuild project has the greatest potential to lead to multiple consecutive playoff appearances and potentially multiple World Series during the 2020s.
Frater:

Only point I'd argue with you about is the early 80's. That was not a rebuild. They spent money BIG money for the time bringing in two quality players every year. 1981: Fisk and Luzinski. 1982: Kemp and Paciorek. 1983: Bannister and Cruz.

Plus and I think this is VERY important. Roland Hemond was running the show, not Kenny Williams (who's 'go for it' attitude caused much of the current situation) AND because they were still early in their tenure JR and EE weren't as "hands-on" then as today.

I hope your right, perhaps the future of the franchise requires it because if it falls on its face, there many not be many fans left still around to keep it viable.

A LOT at stake in the next few years.

Time will tell eventually if you are closer to the truth or if JB's version comes to pass.

Oh and I know Rick is the G.M. I believe he has a lot of power regarding day to day operations of the team. I also know that one more than one occasion Kenny has stated as recently as lat month that "Rick answers to me..."

All it takes is the Sox looking awful next April / May for Kenny to say 'enough' go to JR and torpedo this whole rebuild. And speaking of JR don't forget the story last week saying how pissed he was the way the Bulls played last year even though he w2as told, 'this is what rebuilding is going to look like.'

With those two guys, you just don't know which I think JB isn't convinced this is going to work.

Like I said, time will tell.

Last edited by Lip Man 1; 07-21-2018 at 09:15 PM.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:47 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
Would sacrificing a chicken stop the injuries?
I'll do it in a ****ing heartbeat if that's what it takes.

This is ridiculous.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:13 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
Madrigal is other world right now.

3 for 5 today. Hitting .529 in his first week at Kannapolis.

Mercy.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:49 PM
Co-Winner WSI 2018 NFL Pick'em Contest

2 hits each for Eloy and Rutherford so far tonight. Battenfield also with 6 shutout innings.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:59 PM
WSI Prelate

Steele Walker first HR, first game at Great Falls.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:03 PM
WSI Prelate

Steele Walker homers in his first AB for Great Falls.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:13 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiersoxfan View Post
2 hits each for Eloy and Rutherford so far tonight. Battenfield also with 6 shutout innings.

Make it another 3 hit game for Rutherford.

Ditto for Eloy.

Really like Rutherford the more I see him. He has elite baseball body written all over him.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:36 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

For me as a non-minor league follower who get's almost ALL his info right here in this forum, I have to say it's fun to then go and look at box scores and find players who aren't even mentioned who seem to be performing well all over the Sox minor leagues system.

I think Eloy gets called up soon. Not sure what they do then, but if the goal is to call guys up when they are hot and seeing the ball well, I don't see how they can wait. Right now he's about as hot as a hitter can be.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 07-21-2018, 08:49 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
Really like Rutherford the more I see him. He has elite baseball body written all over him.

#bustwatch part two: the guy cannot hit homers.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 07-21-2018, 08:51 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1
And the 1990 squad is celebrated, rightly, because those guys were picked for dead ****ing last, yet won 94 games despite the leading home run guy with 18 and the leading RBI guy with 75. How?

SURPRISE! Because they did "the little things" that won a ****load of games.
Those “little things” may have won games thirty years ago, but they don’t win games today.

By the way, who won that division in 1990? The A’s, who were last in the division in batting average but led the division in home runs. So the “little things” didn’t really win games back then, either.
Closed Thread